Print Page | Close Window

Learning Programs On TV

Printed From: OHbaby!
Category: General Chat
Forum Name: General Chat
Forum Description: For mums, dads, parents-to-be, grandparents, friends -- you name it! And you name the topic you want to chat about!
URL: https://www.ohbaby.co.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=37201
Printed Date: 02 October 2024 at 12:55am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Learning Programs On TV
Posted By: Timmeh
Subject: Learning Programs On TV
Date Posted: 21 December 2010 at 1:50pm
So lately iv been seeing the same infomercial for learning program ,

So my question is pretty simple has anyone tried these are they any good/worth the money

And is this going to far , im pretty bright my self if i do say so myself and i didn't have anything like this just school and what i learned off my mother over the years

Replies:
Posted By: _SMS_
You mean the child reading one??

Originally posted by _SMS_ _SMS_ wrote:

You mean the child reading one??

Yip i do indeed , With the flash cards and dvd and what not

Posted By: amme_eilyk
or the maths/memory one?

they seem to be advertised a lot at the moment. I am not sold on them. IMO you are better off spending the quality time with your child doing activities/reading/learning.

Posted By: peanut butter
Or just let your child watch playhouse disney. I swear my boys learnt to count from Numberjacks and as for reading.....Word world!

Posted By: _SMS_
Yea the ad kind of made me LOL

It says the girl knew over 500 words at 19 months. For gods sake let children be children and learn on there own.

And why does a child under 2 need to read??

Sorry thats my opinion on it anyway.

Originally posted by _SMS_ _SMS_ wrote:

Yea the ad kind of made me LOL

It says the girl knew over 500 words at 19 months. For gods sake let children be children and learn on there own.

And why does a child under 2 need to read??

Sorry thats my opinion on it anyway.

I was thinking the same thing.

Posted By: freckle
Originally posted by amme_eilyk amme_eilyk wrote:

or the maths/memory one?

they seem to be advertised a lot at the moment. I am not sold on them. IMO you are better off spending the quality time with your child doing activities/reading/learning.

agree 100%!! you don't need to spend a heap to teach ya kids literacy and numeracy skills... pens, paper, some basic books and you're set

Originally posted by nzpiper nzpiper wrote:

Or just let your child watch playhouse disney. I swear my boys learnt to count from Numberjacks and as for reading.....Word world!

IMHO the educational value of those TV programmes is pretty debatable... I have nothing at all against my kids watching that kind of thing but I see it as purely entertainment. Numberjacks introduces some ridiculous concepts for preschool children (e.g. estimating!!) and word world (which I just loathe ) has often unrecognisable capital letters in the shapes of animals... I think it would be very challenging for a child to learn to read from that, and if they did they will only be reading uppercase...

eta - I mean no offence NZPiper - those programmes just annoy me ... it's great that your kiddies have learnt something from them !

Posted By: Plushie
your baby can read is creepy to me and the maths one scares me because i can barely do my times tables

Am curious if someone has tried it or thinks its worth it though - no judgement.

Posted By: Mum_mum
I have thought about it but mainly cos I like the look of the flash cards (which I can probably buy somewhere else)

The DVD looks good in that they say the word, baby sees the word and then sees someone doing that thing- e.g clapping. However reading reviews on the net the DVD's are boring and didnt hold the kids attentions.

I don't see anything wrong with using tools like that to help your child learn, my girl loves sitting down reading books with me and I think she would really enjoy flash cards. I think its more about making learning fun and what better age to instill that than before they start school.

Posted By: Bizzy
i dont think that educationally there is any advantage to teaching your child to read at an early age. and if you wanted you could probably do something at home by making your own flashcards ec... The maths one i am not sure on either as even though it would be helpful to learn i dont think that it would work with the nz school system. I know that quite often at school i could do maths problems but unless i could show how i got the answer i would get marked down.

Posted By: BugTeeny
My Dad (who lives in The States) sent over the entire Your Baby Can Read programme for Hannah's first birthday (I didn't ask for it). it's sat, unopened, in a cupboard since then (2 years). I'd forgotten about it until I saw the infomoercial the other day.

I decided to get it out and see how Hannah liked it.
She loves the flash cards and books, they're neat.

But the DVDs are P A I N F U L.
Bad American accents and cheesy music.
So unless you want your child to talk with an American accent I'd give it a miss
Hannah enjoys the DVDs, but they're a bit babyish for her.. more suited to the under 2s, I think.

I wouldn't spend my money on that stuff. Hannah's a TV watcher and loves Disney/Pixar movies.
By 12 months she had about 50 words. By 2 she was talking in 5 word sentences...

But she does love the books and flashcards.

Posted By: Mucky_Tiger
the 'your baby can read set' is $399.
or you can buy it from here http://www.22netstore.com/p.php/Your-Baby-Can-Read-5-DVD-Set-+-50-BonUS-Word-Cards-+3-FreeGift-$75Value--p--11.html? - this site for $35.61 with free shipping and then put it on trademe if you hate it.

$399

Posted By: High9
What is it??

I remember as a kid I had some computer games that were english and maths based but had a story to them but you had to work out different maths questions or english spelling, etc.

I loved reading though and my mum enjoyed reading to me and with me. I've been told it's important to read to them even if they don't seem interested because they are still hearing the words.

I think tv is ok, a Russian friend of mine learned English through Sesame Street.

And song's are good too. Or Rhymes.

Date Posted: 21 December 2010 at 2:02pm
Dam $399 , never catch wind of that on the ad , I suppose i could make the flash cards my self if i wanted to head down that road

I sing to Ella ( try to ) , i remember when i was a little boy we got taught rhymes for maths and English couldn't for the life of me remember them now shouldn't be to hard to find them

-------------
http://lilypie.com">

Date Posted: 21 December 2010 at 2:53pm
Tim you can buy some really good flash cards. My MIL was always buying them for the kids. I think that best way you can instil a love of books and reading into kids is to read to them from an early age. My husband has always read bed time stories and all my kids love reading and books and the not quite 3 yr old is always "reading" too.

Posted By: High9
Date Posted: 21 December 2010 at 3:04pm
Lily's only 10mo but she already knows which books are her fave, I line them up in front of her and she knows which cover to pick and even points to objects on the page. (The Little Yellow Digger - she'll point out the diggers, the dog...) while she's not reading the words, she's reading the pictures and is def taking it in.

-------------

Posted By: Hopes
Date Posted: 21 December 2010 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Bizzy Bizzy wrote:

i dont think that educationally there is any advantage to teaching your child to read at an early age.

My original post got deleted when this thread went missing, and there was another poster who I also quoted that's gone too - but the gist of what I said is that I agree with the above. It's only based on personal experience, but I started school at six, and while Mum and Dad had read to me lots, they hadn't put any work into teaching me to read. I picked it all up pretty fast and became an avid reader - I still do read a lot. I don't think it does any harm to teach toddlers to read, and if you think it would be fun, I'd say go for it, but I don't think it gives them any long-term advantage.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 December 2010 at 3:26pm
Ill be reading to Ella , I have heaps of children books and nursery rhymes books , i pretty much have the hole collection of those books with the Gold spine from the 80's , i kept them for this purpose but only problem is they are still in Hamilton i will have to sort that out after xmas .

-------------

Posted By: kiwi2
Date Posted: 21 December 2010 at 4:59pm
Just read to your kids. Don't fall into the trap of first child syndrome where you push them to be the best and teach them as much as you can before school. Yes they will be a bit ahead if you have done it correctly but in reality within 6 months they have all caught up.

Teach them a love of books and reading rather than how to read. I forced my oldest to read and write before school. Taught her uppercase letters which was wrong and actually hindered her progress. My son I have done nothing with and he is advanced at school so I am taking the same approach with the third.

At the end of the day they hit there teenage years (yes I have a 14 year old) and anything they learnt previous flies out the window especially common sense lol.

Posted By: My3Sons
Date Posted: 21 December 2010 at 5:38pm

crikey I cant believe the price of your baby can read!! I saw the ad for the trial and wondered how much they were going to sting you at the end of it!  I brought my son the reading master system years ago (similar type of thing), the flashcards and the books are great but honestly you can make your own flashcards and you can get so many neat books and things nowdays, as Kiwi2 said above, just read to your kids!  Lol at first child syndrome too, the system hasnt been touched with my other 2 kids!

-------------
Mum to Mr 10, Mr 6 and Mr 4

Posted By: TheKelly
Date Posted: 21 December 2010 at 7:29pm
I like that Kiwi2, "teach them a love of books rather than reading " thats very true.

And like any individual,some kids no matter how much you read to them, will love reading,some would rather be running outside, I have read to my 8 year old every night of her life, shes not a big reader at all, I love reading and it made me sad at first that she didn't love it as much, but shes her own person, she can read,she just doesn't get the enjoyment out of it that I do .

Kids are not kids for very long,and they are babies and toddlers for an even shorter amount of time, let them be babies, let them have their innocence and freedom while they can still have it

-------------

Date Posted: 21 December 2010 at 11:01pm
gawd it would be awful if my 2 yr old could read over my shoulder while i was on the computer!!!

Posted By: freckle
Date Posted: 22 December 2010 at 9:31am
Originally posted by Hopes Hopes wrote:

Originally posted by Bizzy Bizzy wrote:

i dont think that educationally there is any advantage to teaching your child to read at an early age.

My original post got deleted when this thread went missing, and there was another poster who I also quoted that's gone too - but the gist of what I said is that I agree with the above. It's only based on personal experience, but I started school at six, and while Mum and Dad had read to me lots, they hadn't put any work into teaching me to read. I picked it all up pretty fast and became an avid reader - I still do read a lot. I don't think it does any harm to teach toddlers to read, and if you think it would be fun, I'd say go for it, but I don't think it gives them any long-term advantage.

My reply to this was deleted yesterday as well....
I have to say I disagree, as I believe there are definite educational advantages to introducing literacy skills early. Firstly, it takes advantage of the period of time when the child's brain has the most plasticity, therefore making it much easier to learn the information. Further, research does indicate that early reading skills do correlate to increased enjoyment in reading at an older age, which is presumably due to it not be as challenging. Higher levels of achievement several years after begininning school have also been correlated with early formal reading instruction, indicating the gains aren't necessarily only giving the child a short-term advantage.

I also think teachers have large class sizes so anything we, as parents, can do to help our children get a head start has got to be good!

From my own personal experience, I taught my daughter to read at 3, so she went to school reading at least several years above her age level (I did this as at the time I was doing my degree in speech language therapy and part of that was training in a literacy type programme, and I wanted to practise )... My daughter is now 14 and continues to work well above her age level in english - she is continually top of her year and has gained many awards in english. She has also always read and written stories for enjoyment - not homework. I know this is only one case, but I do believe that learning to read before school did contribute to her success...

I don't believe learning to read needs to be boring, structured kind of table top tasks. The early, prerequisite skills for literacy can be taught quite easily with fun activities. The prerequisite skills involve teaching sound awareness, which is often lacking in such reading systems. It's things like listening to words and working out if the start with the same sounds, finding other words that begin with the same sounds (not letters), talking about words that rhyme (or sound the same at the end), breaking words up into their sounds (e.g. shoe > sh-ooo) - it is these early skills that help with decoding and they are the skills that are necessary for children to be able to read phonetically rather than just using whole word. You can then introduce the letter/sound associations, for which we did (and do for DD2) with lots of scrapbook type activities which she loves - we start with just writing the letter/s for a sound and finding lots of pics that begin with that sound. We do lots of other fun activities that also target these skills and it's not like she is forced to sit and engage in activities she doesn't want to do... I am very much of the opinion that children learn through play and it is definitely possible to introduce these skills in a play based way. Anyway this is quite the novel now so I'll leave it there

-------------
mum to 3 lovely girls :D

Date Posted: 22 December 2010 at 10:42am
From my own experience - my mom read to both me and my brother from day one (I still have the book on colours she read to me in the hospital, like a 2hr old baby is interested...lol) and she has pictures of 10month old me sitting up with books in hand. I sounded a lot like your daughter, Freckle, i entered school knowing how to read and write a little and was always sent to other classes for those lessons as i was way advanced - and i still read like a mad thing, a full novel in a few hours is no feat.

As a contrast, two years younger then me, my brother loathes reading, loathes writing, was in the lower end of the classes, it was suspected he was dyslexic though he's not.

My mom swears she taught us both the same so its either a case of my natural abilities and interests falling neatly into place OR since i was first i did get extra/better time to read. I am told while Mom was trying to breastfeed my brother she'd read to me at the same time to stop me biting him.

They all catch up eventually at school in either case, so i guess its up to the parent. If we want to flash card, read, or do nothing and let them enjoy their youth making mudpies its all good.

Posted By: melopop
Date Posted: 23 December 2010 at 9:27am
It's really interesting bowie, how 2 children can be raised the same way, yet be so different! I guess it's the whole 'nature/nurture thing'. I agree, most usually catch up and it's important to remember that kids learn at their own pace.
As a teacher, all I can say is whatever you do make it FUN!!!
The worst thing you can do is force your child to sit and 'learn'. You are likely to do more harm than good and put them off reading.
In my opinion learning happens best in real, authentic learning experiences e.g helping with baking etc.
I think you need to take the lead from your child. I'm sure many would thrive using a structured learning programme, yet others would much rather be running around outside and are just not interested.
I used to get a bit annoyed with parents who demanded more and more homework for their kids, when really, their kids would benefit more from their parents spending time with them, talking with them, asking them questions and for their opinions, promoting problem solving and critical thinking and having their child share what they have been learning.
I think reading to you kids and talking with them (not AT them) are the two best things you can do for them

-------------

Posted By: NovemberMum
Date Posted: 06 January 2011 at 3:40pm
I all for encouraging children to read but only if they wants to..an 18 month old certainly has no reason that they need to read but yes do encourage them to enjoy books.

and that ad arghh it annoys me so much they make it sound like your child wil be terribly behind if they arent reading chapter books before they start school. which I know isnt true

-------------

Posted By: nannyabbey
Date Posted: 06 January 2011 at 8:46pm
Hi there.
we ordered the system to have a looky - we could always send it back aye!
After being a nanny for the past 10+ years and helping many kids love books (which i do agree helps with loving to read) and were pretty confident that we'd be able to help our wee man start well in his education (he's 6mnths now) but we are also very pro anything that would help our kids education so why not!?!?

I had a good look at it and decided it wasn't actually worth the money. Yes the 'flash cards' and books were great but if we actually pulled finger we could create the stuff ourselves for alot cheaper! and with the amount of videos on YouTube now days!!
And it was quite intense!! the 'required' amount of time you needed to put into it was above what we thought realistic and actually thought it was over the top!

So we called to send it back and in the end they said their warehouse was extremely busy and didn't really want to process any returns and do we want it for half price! So we did. Purely for the tools not to follow the 'programme'. The flash cards are pretty cool! he he.

Its very 'recognition' heavy - don't know the correct name for it! Basically cause you are showing the kids the words so often they memorize what it looks like. So not alot of old school phonics in it. I believe you need a bit of both to create good readers.
I think any kid benefits from pro active parents when it comes to learning to read etc but sadly the 'fit this box' school system is not always equipped to accommodate students who don't fit the box! ie kids who read ahead of their age. BUT in saying that you can still be the person to help challenge your children in this!! there is nothing to say that it is purely your kids teachers job to be the only educationalist in your kids life. Whoops, climbing off my soap box now!!

Anywho. Ollie watches the DVD's here and there and we'll break out the flash cards sometime! And once he's at school and we can see who natural is mathematical mind is we might look at the brainatics one.......And lets hope we hit another busy time at the warehouse!!!

Posted By: nanskiemama
Date Posted: 14 January 2011 at 11:08am
Hiya nannyabbey, where did you get your DVD set from and how much were they? I'm quite interested in trialling them..

Like most of the other ladies here, I'm also a bit sceptical and unsure about the benefits or usefulness of this system.. however, I am always up for trying something new, especially if it might result in the possibility of my kid to have the best start in life..

I'll probably take a more relaxed approach to it though.. if the kid seems disinterested or bored, I won't push it.. I don't see it doing any harm if we just kept the DVD running in the background and doing some flash card exercises for an hour a day or smthg..

-------------
http://tickers.cafemom.com">

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net