Print Page | Close Window

Mums supporting each other

Printed From: OHbaby!
Category: Support
Forum Name: Prem Babies
Forum Description: A forum for those with premature babies to help and support each other.
URL: https://www.ohbaby.co.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43034
Printed Date: 29 March 2024 at 1:14am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Mums supporting each other
Posted By: JacquiDuck
Subject: Mums supporting each other
Date Posted: 04 February 2013 at 6:58pm
Hi ladies,
Thought it would be a good idea to get a forum on here so we can support each other better with all that we're going through, the ups and down and challenges of being a parent to a preemie baby!
My wee Marty was born at 27 weeks after I developed pre-ecclampsia at 26 weeks.  He's now 32+3, and doing well - such a little trooper!

-------------
http://lilypie.com">

Replies:
Posted By: Minny
Date Posted: 04 February 2013 at 8:48pm
Hi,

I'll jump in here too. My tiny Isaac was born at 30 weeks. He's now 32 + 1 and doing so well. I had a very small placenta which was not able to sustain his growth past about 27 weeks so he had IUGR. My anatomy scan at 20 weeks showed no abnormalities and basically my boy is fully formed and perfect in every way, except weighed 2.1lbs at birth and is only 37cm long.

Have to admire the staff at the NICU dealing with such tiny babies, but they do a fantastic job and make me feel that my baby is in a safe and happy place.

I especially love doing cares, and of course my skin to skin cuddles.

I did two hours today and just love how my boy snuggles in to me and sleeps so soundly. I wish for the time to never end. Every time I see my little fella my heart just melts. He's super tiny, but so so perfect!

-------------

Code snippet: PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ and BBCode. Used on most forums.
http://lilypie.com" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 06 February 2013 at 8:25pm
My boy was being such a grumpy bum trouble maker today!  During cares (which hubby did) he was grumpy, but settled down when it was time for cuddles - but DID NOT want his prongs in!  He some how managed (after lulling me into a false sense of security) to drag off his prongs, hat and chin strap in one move!  I was kind of proud of the sneakiness and co-ordination, but because he was so grumpy and wouldn't settle for long cuddles were cut short Cry.  In the 'good' parts of the cuddle he had his eyes wide open though, and was staring right up at me Smile  Which was amazing.  
I just can't wait til I get to see him without his mask and everything on, I get really jealous of the other babies that are already there...  I know I shouldn't but sometimes its hard!  

We've gotten the nursery started, but sometimes it seems like we're never going to get him home - I just want to be a full time mum, and not just one for a couple of wonderful hours a day!

Hows things with you Minny?  I was thinking I might  pop onto some of the other forums and let them know of this stream in case anyone needs us...

-------------

Date Posted: 07 February 2013 at 7:34am
Hey Jacqui,

I was just thinking of you and popped in here to leave you a message.

Love grumpy days, even if it means short cuddles. To me it feels like one more "normal" thing Isaac does. We had a grumpy day on Tuesday and although he wasn't crying he kept dropping his heart rate, which he hardly ever does. He had his eyes tested in the morning and also a blood test so had been protesting loudly at that being done. The rest of the day he was mucking around and setting his monitors off so we didn't disturb him much.

My nurses here said that the babies protesting to the tubes up their nose is a good sign. That was how Isaac ended up off the respirator. He kept pulling out the tubes. Some babies may only tolerate being off for a little while, but the fact that its annoying him is a good sign.

We share a room with two other wee boys, a 25 weeker and a 26 weeker, and they both still need the respirator. It truly is the difference between being born before or after 30 weeks, but your boy will get there. Mine is only there because he managed 3 extra weeks inside. A friend of mine had her boy at 32 weeks and was in the same NICU. She is already home now so I understand how you feel to see another baby doing so well when all you want is for yours to be home. It will happen!

Isaac just blows me away with his strength. I am so proud of my tiny wee man. He gained about 64g since Sunday and is now 1175g. Not sure where it's all gone though as he's still scrawny!

Yesterday I was able to put him to my breast as he is showing signs of wanting to suck. He's still very little though so didn't expect much, but he managed a little suck and then seemed happy to just lie close to me. I was pretty much left to it, which I was surprised at. I thought the nurses would help me latch him on, so it's possible I just wasn't doing it right. Trying to hold a 37cm baby, and latch him on felt very awkward. But still a special moment.

Was given my licence back yesterday too, but only for driving to the hospital and home so it means I can be there as much as I want! Such a relief.

Hope Marty is off the CPAP real soon.

Xx

-------------

Date Posted: 07 February 2013 at 7:47pm
Heya, yeah much better day today!  No dings and dongs during cuddle time - a first!  Marty definitely knows what he wants, took him 3 minutes to wiggle himself from a vertical position to horizontal, and he just lay there perfectly the whole time!  The nurse wisely only changed the mask to prongs after the cuddle, so he was just so much happier!  The doctors are looking at sending him to Hutt Hospital in a week or so - awesome news!  At least now we have a general timeframe to go by - it will be SO much easier having him closer!
How was Isaac today?  Great news about the beginnings of breast feeding, must've been magical!
Anyway, hope alls well
xxx

-------------

Date Posted: 07 February 2013 at 9:05pm
Oh Jacqui, yay for moving closer to home. It must be that Marty is doing just fine or they wouldn't move him!

Isaac took a little step sideways today. Whereas normally he is super stable, over the past few days he has been dropping his sats, and today was doing it quite often and didn't want to wake up as much. So they checked him over and gave him some lo flow oxygen just to give him a rest. His sats immediately came up, and he very quickly pulled the prongs from his nose, but hopefully they can get him to keep it on for the whole night. They also took full blood count to check for any infections starting that may be affecting his breathing. Wll only get the results tomorrow but whilst I know it's precautionary, there's always the possibility it finds something.

Can't really complain as up to this point we have done nothing but take steps forward, and I know my boy is so strong. Still, was very hard to leave him today. I was still there after 6pm. My heart broke as I walked out tonight. I wanted to sit at his bedside.

My friend came to visit today and gave Isaac his first book which I read to him during an afternoon cuddle. He just stared up at me. I loved it. It felt quite emotional.

I love how these tiny boys already know what they want. Today Isaac didn't want Kangaroo cuddles, he wanted to be held in my arms, or on my lap and drift off to sleep. He was pretty good on the breast today, had a few little suckles, more than yesterday. We are heading in the right direction!

-------------

Date Posted: 08 February 2013 at 8:04am
Heya, 
thats fantastic that you're getting that much closer to breast feeding - like you said, the other was just a small step sideways, and so to be expected in a preemie!  I am constantly amazed at how determined these little guys are, they know what they want, and they will get it!  Fingers crossed for you that Isaac is back to normal today and you get more of those awesome cuddles =-)

-------------

Posted By: ginger22
Date Posted: 08 February 2013 at 3:25pm
Hey my lovely ladies.

My goodness you are both doing so well with your men! I adore skin to skin. I love how he settles, how it feels, what it does to my hormones...yay for our bodies huh!

I am lucky having had those extra few weeks. My man hasn't needed oxygen, and moved just yesterday to his full feeds through his NG.

Awesome if Marty gets to move to Hutt soon Jacquie. Leaving is so hard!

How are you guys going with expressing?

Date Posted: 08 February 2013 at 7:36pm
Yuk, hate it!  I go through times of it being ok, and others of hating it!  TMI but my nipples are so sore! Thats the worst part of it for me at the moment.  I'm still doing the seperating the fore and hind milk thing, which seems to be working well for Marty.  I'm getting about 50mls average each time - how about you ladies?

Marty has had his CPAP decreased to 6&6, so next move is 5&5 then it's onto Wellington CPAP, so just tiny wee prongs =-)  Just have to celebrate all the milestones, no matter how small.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 February 2013 at 10:22pm
Good to "see" you back on here Peppermint! And great to hear your boy is doing so well. The extra weeks inside make so much difference!

My expressing isn't too bad. I get between 70 and 100mls every three to four hours. I think that is still a little short of the target of 600ml in 24 hours but is's really hard to get "normal" results in an artificial way, in my opinion! Hopefully once Isaac is taking feeds for himself it will increase naturally.

Peppermint, you are right that our bodies do amazing things. I haven't had skin to skin cuddles for a few days as Isaac has decided he doesn't want to be held like that. Instead he loves being in my arms and looking at me. I talk constantly to him and he will eventually drift off to sleep. Just love that he loves the sounds of my voice!

Well, it is that wonderful expressing time for me! Aargghhhh!

Xx

-------------

Date Posted: 09 February 2013 at 6:07am
I am getting about 130-150mls each time, but that is going back for a second go each side, and 'hands on' expressing each time to clear my ducts, as they seem to block, particularly one side. A lactation consultant sent me a great email link I would be happy to pass on???

separating the milk is not something I have been told about...that must be MAGIC milk for Marty! I have 4 (very little) bottles in the freezer already, and I am torn that it is the 'old' milk, as they only like to use the freshest. I see the points behind that, but still thought older may have been good at this early stage because it would have had more colostrum?? Interesting fact...mothers of prem babies somehow make milk with more protein... :) the bonus of not only having a consultant visit, but one of our neo nurses is a lactation consultant too!

sore nips...OH YEAH! mine are flat / inverted to need some 'toughening up' but damn it is hard.

Jacqui my partner and I were talking this morning about how we have such huge milestones we have celebrated with our man, yet to others they would seem so insignificant. I think taking anything and everything is progress and worth it for our men!

Date Posted: 09 February 2013 at 6:46am
Peppermint, the milk can last four months in the freezer, but of course fresh milk is best. I have a freezer full of milk, and only take a little at a time into the NICU. I always express at least two to three times while I am there and leave Isaac with fresh milk plus what they have defrosted. If it helps I number my bottles, for example, today Isaac is 19 days old, so I write "19" on the lid of every pot, that way when I am looking for milk I know which is oldest.

One of the nurses in the NICU said to only bring in frozen onky as they need.it, and it will be useful to have extra in my freezer so when he's home I can have a wine without worrying about it. Thought that was a brilliant idea! We plan on having a welcome home party to replace my baby shower that I missed, and also DP's friends are asking when he will have "wet the baby's head" drinks. He wasn't keen as its a big expense as any old joe blogs turns up for the free drinks. This way we get to have something at home with all of our invited friends instead. Frozen milk will mean I can have a celebratory glass of bubbles to welcome my boy home.

Good on you peppermint for doing hand expressing. I tried but am completely rubbish at it!

Just got to add that I love the feeling of breast feeding Isaac. He's still to little to actually draw any milk, but I think I drip into his mouth as I see him swallow and he's very happy to just sit with my nipple in his mouth and only have the occasional attempt at sucking. Just the fact he knows what to do is one of those much celebrated milestones!

-------------

Date Posted: 09 February 2013 at 12:52pm
OH YES...I love the idea of back up to have a celebratory wine! I am a light weight at the best of times, but will look forward to that time. We have talked about doing a wee something when he comes home too. I express at home and at NICU...and same thing, they use the most fresh. Good idea numbering the bottles, I will start with my frozen I think.

I actually saw the MW who showed me how to hand express by chance today, and thanked her for her time, as I think this is what has given me confidence. I can now also feel where the 'money spots' are. Did you want to have a look at the link anyway Minny? no probs if not.

Also love the bfeeding. Even a few little sucks are awesome.

As for our wee man, back under the jaundice lights again today after a few days without. I am not sure exactly what his levels are, so will ask to see the graph again tonight when we go back. A little gutted, as we were charging ahead, and now it means less time out and less skin to skin, but, that is ok.

Date Posted: 09 February 2013 at 6:22pm
Yes please peppermint. I think it may be useful to be able to hand express even a little as it may help with latching Isaac on. He does latch pretty easy and sucks a little more each day but if I express enough to ensure there is some milk there he may get the taste and get going. I have to express first before I latch him, so I don't drown th little fella with a massive milk flow!

JD, how is Marty today?

-------------

Date Posted: 09 February 2013 at 8:48pm
Heya!  Wow - am blown away with how much milk you ladies are producing!  Am really going to have to work on my production more!  
Marty is doing really well today thanks Minny =-)  He does the wriggling round thing so that he's lying in my arms and can look at me - love it!  I was told by one of the nurses that it's that they can smell the milk in our breasts and so automatically position themselves in a position for access =-)  They are so clever!

I tried the hand expressing when I first had Marty - unfortunately I am WAY too unco-ordinated to hand express and catch the milk at the same time!

Sounds like you ladies are doing so awesomely with your boys, really shows how important those few extra weeks are!

-------------

Date Posted: 10 February 2013 at 9:55am
Oh goodness Jacqui, I did not hand express by myself at the start. My partner sat there with a syringe and sucked up every precious drop. I am incredibly fortunate that he was able to be off work the whole time I was in hospital. Later on, I would just lean over and squeezed in to the bottle - I have stopped this now, and just do 'hand on' pumping, manipulating the ducts that need emptying.

I am no expert, but I wouldn't worry about your supply. You only need to be making enough for Marty now, and can increase it at a later date. I need to be careful to make sure I don't start over supplying.

Here is the link

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

Baby boy is one week old this evening. Can't believe I have been a mum for a whole week :)

Date Posted: 10 February 2013 at 10:36am
Happy 1 week Peppermint!!  Marty is 6 weeks old/33 weeks today =-)  Can't believe its been that long already!  Hopefully just that long again until we get to take him home Heart

-------------

Date Posted: 10 February 2013 at 11:32am
Jacqui, Partner and Marty...you are a legends :)

Date Posted: 10 February 2013 at 4:19pm
Thanks Peppermint!  I think we all are for what we're doing =-)

Massive milestones for Marty today, broke the 1500g mark, moved into a thermacot AND I got to put his first set of clothes on him!  So exciting!

-------------

Date Posted: 10 February 2013 at 8:04pm
Jacqui, yay for moving out of the incubator and also for reaching the long awaited milestone of clothes. I am completely envious, but know that time is not that far for me after Isaac gained 130g since Wednesday and is now weighing in at 1300g. Am really hoping they move him to a bed in the next few weeks.

Found things a bit tough today. To be honest I hate the weekends as DP always has a list of things for me to do and doesn't see why I need to be at the hospital all day as Isaac doesn't know I'm there and doesn't do much anyway. Of course I don't see it that way. I want and need to be close to my boy, and I will know I was there. And he does do quite a bit... He poos and wees and needs changing, he needs feeding every two hours and of course the magical cuddle time and story time.... Before I know it, a whole day has passed and I'll go back and do it again the next day.

Today we went to catch up with some friends for lunch on the way up to the hospital. He knew I wanted to be there by 2 so I could express, then do cares and feed Isaac while I latch him on so he learns to associate the smell of my milk, sucking and getting a full tummy. So at 1:30, he decided to drive his mates boat so he could have a ski, which meant we arrived at the hospital at 2:40 and was so rushed. And by 3:40 we had to leave to go and see him mum who is very ill now and in hospital too (a different one to Isaac) Whilst I agreed to have a short visit today, I hated rushing and couldn't help the tears when I left. I wrote on the board that I'd be in by 9:30am tomorrow, and couldn't help comment that I had to make up for the missed time from today!

Sorry for the rant, but it's so frustrating!

Jacqui, what size clothes is Marty wearing? Tiny prem?

-------------

Date Posted: 11 February 2013 at 8:39am
Oh Minny, that sounds awful!  I think it can be hard for the guys to understand the physical connection/need we have for our liitle ones - how much it hurts when we aren't with them!  I'm lucky that Hamish is really good about it, even if he doesn't quite understand that all day, everyday all I think about is Marty!
And of course they know when we're there - look at their reactions, holding our fingers, opening their eyes, just having us close to them does them the world of good!

Sounds like Isaac is piling on the weight!  Not far till he's caught up to Marty, thats amazing!  He'll be in clothes and a cot in no time =-)
We have to wait until Marty is off the CPAP till we get to start breastfeeding - oh well, another milestone to look forward to!
Marty is in tiny prem clothes - so cute!

Hows Beaux doing Peppermint?
Take care and enjoy your day ladies!

-------------

Posted By: Nicky102981
Date Posted: 11 February 2013 at 3:27pm
Hi Ladies I'm new on here and just been reading your posts - it's so cool to hear others stories and the ups and downs. Whilst my friends are great they just can't really understand what it is like to go through this experience. And sometimes when I catch up with them I just want to talk about other stuff. Where are you all based? My little boy Ethan is in Wellington NICU I had severe IUGR so he was very growth restricted was born on the 29th November at 26 weeks 6 days weighing 500 grams. I feel like part of the furniture around here and it's been slow progress with plenty of tears as well as laughs and smiles along the way. I am constantly amazed by these kids every day and the way they fight and can just turn things around when it feels so bad. I'll never forget the day he reached one kilo it seemed to take forever and now he is 1640 :-). After a rough couple of weeks recently (he got an infection) he has come back fighting and with more alttitude than before and this weekend just gone has been a big weekend for us. Off CPAP on Saturday night and onto Wellington and then yesterday into a thermacot and clothes woop woop. The thrill of picking out clothes and dressing him and seeing him look like a 'real' baby was amazing . It's funny isn't it that these kind of milestones that whilst probably really small to Mum's of term babies are so significant and important to us. :-)

Date Posted: 11 February 2013 at 5:09pm
Hi Nicky...welcome :)

I definitely get what you mean re. friends. So many people have this advice and comments, when it is so out of place in our situation. I know they mean well, but sometimes I feel a little 'short' with them.

I am INCREDIBLY lucky with my partner, who so far has not expectation of me doing anything, other than being at our wee boy's side.

Yay for the small milestones though hey :) we moved to a cot today from incubator, and this is HUGE! We are also dressing him more now (photo therapy over again) in his tiny prem clothes.

Date Posted: 11 February 2013 at 6:47pm
Hey Nicki, 
My baby is in Wellington NICU too - Martin (Marty) Duckett.  I'm sure I've seen your wee boy, may even have met you at some stage?  What room is he in?  Marty was in 'E', but is now in 'C'.  Actually, did you used to be in 'E' too?
I'm so incredibly proud of Marty, not only has he sustained his temperature while in the thermacot, but he is already off hte heated mattress and onto a 'normal' one!  So proud of my wee boy!  I had the most amazing 3 hour cuddle today, Marty wiggled straight into the horizontal/laying in my arms position and stayed there the same time!  He slept absolutely zonked out the whole time, don't think he opened his eyes once!
So all we have to do is get him onto the wellington CPAP and we can get him up to the Hutt - can't wait!

-------------

Date Posted: 11 February 2013 at 7:07pm
Welcome Nicky,

I had IUGR too, but my boy was born just under 1kg, so have had less of a journey than you, but still a journey!

I had a wonderful day with my boy today. He is latching on beautifully. I have to keep quiet when he does tho, cos my excitement distracts him! Haha

I have to agree about the friends. Mine are trying hard, but they just don't get it. And whilst I would never take anything away from them having full term babies, sometimes it's easier to just not talk about the unit. They have no concept of the excitement we feel when our babies reach 1kg, or 1500g, or get dressed for the first time... Or the anticipation of dressing them for the first time!

To be honest my DP doesn't get that either. Isaac got given some tiny prem clothes today, and they are already washed and drying. How's that for willing my boy to move to the next step! I also tried to latch him twice today... Although he was actually looking for it so I happily obliged! I love love love how he falls contentedly off to sleep after he's been latched on.

JD and Nicky, do you know a mum called Stephanie, and baby Xavier? We share a room with them. He got transferred to Wellington for a bit but is back in Auckland now.

-------------

Posted By: Nicky102981
Date Posted: 11 February 2013 at 9:16pm
Hi Guys
Thanks for the welcome :-)
Jacqui we did start off in room E but think I had moved into D by the time you got there as we never had a Marty in our room. I remember seeing his name on the incubator next door though. We are now in room B right in the far corner. I will have to find you tomorrow and say hello. I'm usually pushing the nice big brown lazy boy around between the rooms as its my favorite chair for cuddles :-)
Minny yes Steph and Xavier were in the same room when we first arrived only for a few days though then they moved next door so didn't really get to know them very well. But used to say hello around the NICU. I always remember thinking how unlucky to be from Auckland and yet they had to be down here In Wellington away from home as there was no room for them in Auckland. Hope they are doing well say hello from us.

Date Posted: 11 February 2013 at 9:43pm
Ah, the wonderful brown chair!  I had it today, so hard to get hold of =-)  I like that one or the big blue one...Yes, do come and say hi, I'm in the far left corner in C, tend to be in from 1130 till 3ish (cares are @ 12)  would love to meet you!  Are you actually from Wellington?

-------------

Date Posted: 11 February 2013 at 10:01pm

JD, that is excellent that Marty has achieved so much in a few days! Even I am proud of him! I just can't wait for Isaac to be there too!

Yes, Nicky, I felt sorry for Stephanie when she told me her story. I was almost transferred to Waikato hospital but they decided that Isaac was too unstable to cope with the move as he was dropping his heart rate. They already knew the issues with him, and were just waiting for signs he was in distress, so by the time he showed that, at 30 +1 there really wasn't time to transfer. I was pretty pleased about that, even though Waikato really isn't too much further from where we live. I will say hi for you! Little Xavier is doing well.

ETA - Peppermint, thanks for that breast feeding link. had a quick look but haven't read much yet. definitely will though!

-------------

Date Posted: 12 February 2013 at 3:28am
GO MARTY...what an awesome day alright!

Our wee man also sustained his temp in his cot so gets to stay there too!!! Last night I did add an extra wool, and am going to take in woolen blankets from home to replace the polar fleece they have, just so it is extra cozy.

My mum left today after being here about a week, it was a little hard, but also feels like a 'next step'. I even vacuumed today after my nap! She has been amazing while she was here, cooking, ripped out our vege garden and re-planted. Tidied our while section, shopped for anything I needed, and best of all, gave us HEAPS of space to just be us. It was awesome for her to finally get to hold our man yesterday when he graduated to his cot. Even though she was horrendous while I was pregnant (you may remember my rants JD and Minny), she knows what she did, how she spoke to me, and everything that happened was very wrong. We were both adult enough to talk about it, acknowledge it...and she was able to acknowledge that is was all her fault / problem...and that we had never done anything wrong...so we can all move past it. I am unfortunately never going to forget, and it has changed things for me, but, I am able to forgive her.

Anyways...today is going to be a good day too with my partner on night shift, so he will get heaps of time up with our man today :)

But right now, my heat pack is cooling, so that means time to express, then get back to bed... :)

Date Posted: 12 February 2013 at 7:36am

Peppermint, that is awesome that your mom has been so awesome, especially afer all the drama's from before. It's amazing how a tiny new life can bring so much into perspective and change people so much. Its great that you are able to forgive her.

I have really missed having my mom here. I wanted her to come over from Zimbabwe earlier than the planned April visit but they have so much going on it was really difficult so they will still come as planned. In one way it will give us time to get through all of this and get our boy home, but on the other hand the support would definitly not be unwelcome!

Well, I am off to start my day at the NICU. Can't wait to see my tiny boy today!

Have a good day ladies!

-------------

Date Posted: 12 February 2013 at 8:25am
Yay for your Beau Peppermint, such a big thing when they maintain temperature!  Sounds like there are different policies in different hospitals when it comes to who gets cuddles.  In Wellington ONLY Hamish and i are allowed to cuddle or even touch marty until he goes home - definately no cuddles for grandparents =-(  I'm hoping at the HUtt they are a bit more relaxed.  I know its for infection control, but surely its better for them to be weaned into having other germs around?  Would be better then having a sudden burst when he gets home?

I had a go at Hamish yesterday - he came home from visiting Marty on his own, and I was thinking he'd be excited/happy about seeing him in the cot for the first time.  Instead, he gushed over the puppy then took her for a walk.  When he got back he was talking all about her, what she did, expecting me to be all interested. It seemed like he was more interested in the damn puppy then our son!  He said its just that he doesn't get excited over the little things...  Its really hard to understand/remember sometimes that things are totally different for the dads then the us mums - I think there really is a different bond between us and the boys at this stage.

Oh Minny, appariently there is a statistically higher amount of boys born prems then girls - we were right =-)

-------------

Date Posted: 12 February 2013 at 5:39pm
Yeah, we have nominated who is allowed in to see our man, and who is able to do what with him - although it was my partner and I only while he was in an incubator. We agreed immediate family are the only other people who are allowed in to see him, and to touch him - but ONLY when we are there, and only when we ok it.

I think another part of it is that handing our wee men at the moment actually expends their energy...so handing them around, and the energy is takes them to cope with that is best spent growing.

It is pretty different for us vs. partners hey. I feel for my man back at work and only seeing him once a day some times, but, it will be better to save leave for when we get him home.

and yes...all the MW told me boys are the ones that cause more trouble :) in all fairness though, there were more girls at our NICU to start with!

Date Posted: 12 February 2013 at 7:31pm
It is funny how processes differ. At Middlemore it is up to the parents who they let in, or not, just that the person has to be accompanied by one parent at all times. I couldn't even leave DP's cousin while I went to the loo, I had to take her with me!

I had a lovely day with Isaac today. He had a big sleep from 8:30 til 1:30 and when he woke up he was looking for his hand, or whatever he could manage to get to his mouth, given his non existent co-ords, so I very quickly expressed for a bit and latched him on. It was the best latch yet. My boy will definitely have no problem with feeding once he's strong enough to draw milk, although I am wondering if I expressed less off if he might be able to drink a little as it will flow a bit more. I might have to talk to the lactation lady tomorrow.

My friend had her baby today and I quickly called in to see her on my way home. I hope I didn't offend her as after looking at Isaac her 8lb cherub looked massive! I think my words were "holy hell.... Look at you...." Baby's arm was about as wide as Isaac's back! Heehee....

-------------

Date Posted: 12 February 2013 at 9:10pm
1654g!   My boys getting so big!  He's really looking like a real boy now =-)
We had the most amazing cuddle today, Marty slept the whole time, then woke up when cuddle time was over.  He was looking around when I dressed him, then we had a good 'chat' (as in me gooing at him) till he fell back asleep.  So in love!

-------------

Date Posted: 14 February 2013 at 7:19am
That's so cool JD. I love it when Isaac will fall asleep so soundly with me, but put him back in the incubator and he's wiggling and trying to open his eyes even though they are just too tired to open!

Isaac gained 60g since Sundays weigh so is now 1360g. Yesterday he was dropping his heart rate alot which is slightly worrying. He was checked over and the doctors were happy with him and no reason for him to be dropping, so hope it's a little blip and he's not doing it today. It means I don't get as many cuddles which I don't enjoy at all.

AFM, my MIL had an operation to remove the tumour in her spine and by all accounts it went well. They didn't get it all but did get most of it, so hopefully this gives her some relief and some time to enjoy Isaac and my 4 month old nephew.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 February 2013 at 7:35pm
Marty tried to latch on today!  All by himself!  We had just started cuddles - he straight away wiggled down horizontal,  aimed for my nipple and started trying to latch on!  We aren't even at that point yet - he's still on 6&6 CPAP!  We gave him a dummy to suck on instead and he went hard at it for about 20 mins!  My little trooper - he's always amazing me, so incredibly proud of him Smile
I had the most amazing day with Marty today, was with him literally all day, cuddling from 12-430 - a record for Marty, he did so well! I only left after his 6pm cares - he'd obviously had enough of me by then, he was getting grisly and when I went to smooch him on the cheek he pushed me away!  Was very cute - a definite 'go away mum!'

How is everyone else tonight?  

-------------

Date Posted: 16 February 2013 at 4:58am
yay Marty...that is awesome! what an awesome wee man you hsve JD. Our wee one did the same thing after birth, wasn't 'supposed to be able too' but was keen to try.

have you ladies heard about 'early buds'? it is an organisation that provide small packages to prem babies. I can't remember the exact www address, but they are one fbook too. one of the nurses showed me the pamphlet so I registered.

AFM...my wee man is coming a long in leaps and bounds. after randomly taking a full feed from me last night, the nurses are keen to move him to 4 hourly feeds, so we can start feeding at every feed, instead of every second. Might only be a month or so until we get him home!!! :) He just needs to keep up this awesome feeding, and we will be good to go. SO LUCKY he is the trooper / hungry like he is!

Date Posted: 16 February 2013 at 8:03am
Hi Ladies,

JD, great news that Marty is showing signs of wanting to latch. It will be such a special moment when he's off CPAP and can finally start trying to feed. I love my latch times with Isaac, even though he is still too little to feed, he latches on and just lies there. If I take him off he starts looking again, so I know he likes the comfort and its just an amazing feeling. The doctors think that once he's out of the incubator (and only needs to gain another 400g for that to happen) he will be strong enough to feed and will most likely be away as he already latches so well. I think your boy will be similar. He's got the instinct, he just needs all the conditions to be right and it will be all go!

Peppermint, that's excellent that your boy is now feeding off you. Another step closer to going home! Yay!

AFM, we got moved from C room, which is the monitored "step down" room from the intensive care side, into a less monitored room as Isaac's breathing is so stable. He still drops his saturation levels from time to time, but self corrects so they are not worried about him.

I am having alot of pain in my left breast. I have never felt anything like it! I noticed it yesterday with a pain almost under my arm, but by the time I got home the whole breast was incredibly painful, and the volume of milk was very low. Might ask to talk with a doctor up at the unit today as something is definitely not right. Anyone else having painful breasts?

-------------

Date Posted: 16 February 2013 at 8:58am
Minny I have a duct on my right side, right under the arm, that that needs a lot of 'hand on' while expressing to empty it properly, and it can get very hard and very very sore.

I would definitely talk to the Doc's or nurse / lactation consultant about it to see if there is anything going on.

Awesome about your room graduation :)

Date Posted: 16 February 2013 at 8:26pm
Thanks Peppermint.

I spoke to one of the nurses at the NICU today and she said it seemed like blocked ducts. I have been using my wheat bag and then expressing to reduce the pain, but she got me to continue to express on the sore side, and I ended up getting 90ml off and much relief. It is still getting sore but at least it's not more serious and I know that frequent expressing and using the wheat bag will help.

Today when I went in to see my boy, he had been taken off the monitors overnight, so now only has a thing under his mattress that will alarm if he stops breathing!

I had a super long cuddle with him today. He had been really grumpy all morning and not sleeping well, so after my 2:30 cares, and bf attempt, I did skin to skin and he settled so nicely. I tried to put him down after 2 hours and he just packed a massive tanty, so we carried on with skin to skin for another hour. Then he had a half hour cuddle with his dad so he's been up of the incubator all afternoon.

It's weigh day tomorrow and I can't wait to see what he's gained. He is definitely starting to fill out now! Our goal is 1800g so we can come out if the incubator. Only 400 more to go...

-------------

Date Posted: 17 February 2013 at 8:39am
Minny one of the lactation consultants also said 1 x supermarket ibprofen is recommended to manage any early stage inflammation as well. I also love a really cold hand towel after expressing. And water water water :)

Do you express after the shower...? that also works really well for me. I am having fluctuations in my amounts at the moment, and I wonder if it is because of the feeds our wee man has...I was pretty stable before then.

Yay for no monitors. We were so stoked when our man had his drip out, then oxygen stats. I am pretty sure they stay on the 'angel pad' until they are out.

Hoping we can move to four hourly feeds soon...time to go and find out :)

Date Posted: 17 February 2013 at 4:44pm
Peppermint, my amounts fluctuate quite alot too. I als get at least 10 - 20ml more out of one side. Am wondering if that's normal?

My growing boy put on 115g since Wednesday. He is now 1475g! My little porkpie!!!! The target of 1800g to get out of the incubator really doesn't seem too far away, he is even looking chubbier all round.

Angel pad.... yes, that is the word. Could not think of what it was called under than an under matress thingy! lol. My clever boy hasn't set his off once in 24hours! Such a proud mumma here!!

-------------

Date Posted: 17 February 2013 at 7:27pm
Yeah mine is about 30-40ml different, some times even more. I am going to ask about it tonight. I have been told my all the lactation people that babies often have a 'favourite' and that it is normal, but, it wasn't that bad before. My overall supply seems to be dropping a little too, so I might look in to a supplement.

Next feed I am going to put our man on my 'low' side again, as they said baby sucking is WAY more effective at draining a breast, to see if that helps increase supply as well. Even though I am oversupplying at the moment, we are really concentrating on feeding and weight gain, so I want it there for him :)

YAY for Marty's weight gain, awesome little eater hey :) It is so cool when they are out of the incubator!

Date Posted: 17 February 2013 at 8:08pm
Isaac has his favourite side already, and it's not the low side! Lately I have been putting him on the other side but I guess won't see much change until he is actually able to draw milk.

Lol @ Marty! Marty belongs to JD! Haha... But he has awesome weight gain too!

-------------

Date Posted: 17 February 2013 at 11:34pm
DAMN IT...I thought that whole post had been JD's. SORRY MINNY AND ISSAC... :)

Call that new-mum-brain. I am shattered. This hospital visiting thing is hard!

I am pleased though as the last few days, my boys' feed schedules have changed due to timings of a few feeds, and this had really mucked with my routine and expressing schedule. We sat down and made a weight gain plan with one of the nurses, and got times back on track for when we can best manage them, and I am much happier. Just hopefully can get back in to my routine too...

Date Posted: 18 February 2013 at 6:03pm
Marty's first bath tonight - Hamish is doing it... without me there!  I'm really trying to make sure that Hamish is doing some of the 'big' things, and having time with Marty without me there looking over his shoulder.  It was really hard making myself stay at home when he left for the hospital, but I'd already spent 5 hours there today, and had SO much to do at home.    I know I'm doing the right thing for Hamish, but its so hard to stand back sometimes!

How is everyone today?

-------------

Date Posted: 18 February 2013 at 8:28pm

haha Peppermint! All good. You have a very valid excuse!

JD, so exciting for Marty's first bath, and you are very strong letting hubby do it on his own. It is totally the right thing to do but so hard. I often feel that I hover over Kane when he is at the NICU... although he is really not confident holding him so that makes me worse!

I had a really good day with Isaac today. the nurses overheard me telling my MW today that I have been left to latch Isaac on my own, and he didnt seem to be making any progress, so when I did latch him after his carse they came in to help. It was strange just sitting back and letting them latch him, but I got to realy observe and understand what I was doing wrong. The BEST thing was that Isaac really got the hang of it and took a massive drink. I was SO excited, I could have squealed with delight!

The other nurse held his feed so he got to fully experience that sucking means a full tummy. Can't wait for tomorrow now so I can do it all again! I am so greatful to those two nurses!

Afterward though he was so cute, completely knackered and fast asleep while I gave him a little wind. Made my heart melt!

They said he will go to three hourly feeds on Wednesday after weighing, if he goes over 1500g. Given that he's 1475 and generally puts on around 60g between Sunday and Wednesday it's most likely going to happen. It feels like another big milestone coming up!

-------------

Date Posted: 19 February 2013 at 6:14pm
Good work on letting Hamish take that role Jacqui...very brave. And by no means in the view that he wouldn't manage, but by being able to stay away!

I have to admit we have the 'easier' end of the stick in this in the sense the mum comes first...but that is an heck lot of pressure, so nice to share the load. Particularly when the journey is not likely to be short.

Well done Issac and Minny on some great latching. Everything I read talks about a good latch, so having it from very early on is no doubt key.

As for us, big shift to cranking my boys breast feeds, and he is responding well, working hard, and putting on great weight. Not only is he great with the feeds off me, but is tolerating an increased amount through his tube when I am not there. I really feel for my partner though, as he doesn't have a huge role at the moment. I know he finds it hard when there is nothing for him to do...I just thank him so much for his fantastic support in helping me cope with the pressure!

Date Posted: 19 February 2013 at 7:59pm
So I was given a bit of info today about when Marty eventually comes home.  He got his innoculations done while having cuddles, and the nurse who did it was an older, obviously senior one.  She told me that Marty has chronic lung disease (no-one else has mentioned this), and its going to take about 2 years for him to come right for that, as well as catching up on growth/weight etc.  So we are going to have to be very careful with who gets to touch him, only a select few, such as my and hamish's parents will be able to have cuddles with him.  Anyone else will have to stay a metre away, just slowely introducing him to other people/germs.  So bye bye coffee group, play group, perhaps even kindy!  No taking marty to anywhere with lots of people, such as malls, family functions etc.  We have to get a dvs and heat system into the house to keep away the damp and maintain temperature.  So definitely NOT like taking a full term baby home!  Have you ladies been told any of this stuff?  

-------------

Date Posted: 19 February 2013 at 9:03pm
JD, that doesn't sound good. Have you spoken to a doctor. I would think news like that would come from a doctor rather than a nurse. I hope you can get some info from them, and enough support to get your boy home soon. Would they know what caused the lung issues other than being born early?

I haven't been given any information at all about what will happen when Isaac comes home. Although I did have to call the Plunket nurse today as she as wanting to come and do a home health check on Isaac and she said I will get support from the NICU when I go home? Really have no idea.

A new baby boy was admitted into Isaac's room today. I overheard the doctors telling the dad that the boy's genitals had not formed properly. I was quite upset by his reaction, he was sitting there making jokes. I can only hope it was a coping mechanism, rather than the callous attitude that came across. I have been feeling quite upset about it all day.

I was actually wondering about the six week jabs. I must check with the NICU if they will give Isaac his. I was reminded with a card from the doctors today but obviously he won't be home in time for them.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 February 2013 at 11:02pm
wow JD, that is a bombshell, and an while heap of information to take in! I would definitely recommend talking to the doctor about this, and getting armed with as much information as you can. One thing I have noticed, is all the nurses have different practices / preferences / ideas, so it might be worth getting things clarified.

Also, you have a while before home for Marty to make some mighty progress :)

We have not really talked about 'do's and don'ts' too much for when we get home, as we are still working through the plan to get him to that stage. I am personally very keen to stay pretty isolated regardless, as I want to minimise nasties until he is all vaccined. Also, we have been told he will need a lot more sleep than a term baby, so I want to minimise unnecessary handling etc.

Date Posted: 20 February 2013 at 7:45am
Peppermint, I have been thinking along the same lines. It will be so hard to keep people away though, but I will have to deal with visitors on a case by case basis, and apart from his cousins, don't really want too many children around. It is my mission to keep him free from colds and nasties for as long as possible.

I am already taking vitamin C and multivitamins and will just continue these through winter and hope they keep the bugs at bay.

JD, I really hope you get some definite answers today, and that Martys lungs can only improve while you are in the NICU. You have my number if you need to talk. Good luck.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 February 2013 at 7:38pm
So I've done some research, and it really sounds like all that I was told was very valid!  Because Marty is such a tiny prem, he will probably have more restrictions then the older born prems.  So this really will be the time for mega defensive, protective Mamma to rear her head.  I may need to do more virtual coffees with other mums then coffee groups for a while.  Marty may need to be on oxygen when he goes home, which would restrict my movements with him greatly.  I have been warned that the first few months at home with him may seem very isolating, but it will be worth it to have him home =-)  I guess I really just will have to wait and see how Marty is as to how things will be - he's the boss!

-------------

Date Posted: 20 February 2013 at 7:53pm
JD, I know that babies born under 1kg can have their own sets of challenges. I hope that the restrictive time at home will not be too long, and you can take your lovely boy out and show him off. I will always be available for a virtual coffee with you!

I asked the nurses today about Isaac's lungs, as often he breathes very deeply and looks like he's struggling. Apparently as he was under 1 kilo, even with steroids they can have lung issues, although he seems to only do this after a feed, and very soon will revert back so they aren't too worried. I can fully understand why there would be issues with Martys lungs.

My boy got weighed today and put on a massive 80g since Sunday so he now weighs 1555g. He has moved to three hourly feeds and increased his amount from 20ml to a massive 31ml. I was very careful giving him his feed today so that he didn't spill. It was so cute to see him afterward, absolutely full and unable to keep his eyes open, no matter how high he lifted his eyebrows! The little things that can make my heart melt! At that rate if weight gain he will be out if the incubator by the end of next week. I can't wait!

-------------

Date Posted: 20 February 2013 at 8:28pm
Minny thatss such awesome news about Isaacs weight gain!  Marty's main issues with d-sats are after feeds too - so must just be that they're so full and sleepy =-)

Hmm, can you Skype multiple people at once?  We could be onto something with this virtual coffee thing, virtual coffee groups could be the answer for many isolated preemie mums!

-------------

Date Posted: 20 February 2013 at 8:33pm
Oh yeah, 'The baby's room' have got a 50% sale off everything, including mokopuna merino if you enter the code FIFTY.  There's alimited amount of prem options, but I stocked up on NB size as Marty will probably be able to wear that for a while =-)

https://www.thebabysroom.co.nz

happy shopping =-)

-------------

Date Posted: 21 February 2013 at 7:24am
JD, I think you must be able to conference call on Skype. Will have to google it!

Thanks for the heads up in that sale. I love mokopuna! Am in two minds to get anything though as we have been given so much stuff. I have one very spoilt little boy! I have already run out of thank you cards and have had to get some more printed!

Kane won't be happy with me spending but I might accidentally get one of two merino bodysuits......

-------------

Date Posted: 21 February 2013 at 8:24am
Yeah I figured it was worth it as I want Marty to pretty much be living in merino over winter.  I am also lucky enough to have a VERY generous mum who loves spending money on her grandson.  Marty is now set up for the winter =-)

-------------

Date Posted: 21 February 2013 at 9:03am
So funny...I was going to post about the sale :)
JD I hate to hear about possibly being isolated post discharge home, and more of a journey for you and Marty. I hope you get lots more information and advice, and of course Marty will make awesome gains before home :)

As for us...I am sleeping in with my man as of last night to start demand feeding, with 20ml top ups. A 40g weight loss last night, but no one is concerned as that is 'par for the course' when such big changes are made. So, a few more nights in here demand feeding, and I might just be taking my star home. Fingers crossed for me ladies!

I will also be in a virtual coffee dates :)

Date Posted: 21 February 2013 at 7:41pm
Peppermint thats such amazing news!  I'm so happy for you!

Marty passed 1800g today, and is sitting at 1822!  So proud of my wee trooper, he's come so far!
I spent all day at the hospital with Marty today, was just awesome.

How was everyone elses day?

-------------

Date Posted: 21 February 2013 at 9:45pm
Peppermint, that is awesome. So so happy for you.

JD, yay for Marty passing 1800g. He really is a little trooper!

I had two lovely cuddles with my boy today. I tired to latch him for his morning feed, but he has other ideas. Mornings are for sleeping and cuddles only. By the 2pm feed he is well and truly ready to latch. Today I got him latched on both sides before, during and after his tube feed. My clever wee boy!

-------------

Date Posted: 22 February 2013 at 11:39am
Just got the most amazing news - Marty's moving to the Hutt today!  The hospital is 7 mins away (yes, I have timed it ) , so I can be there for ALL his cares!  I can even go in the middle of the night if I feel like it =-)  So, so excited, coming home is still ages away, but this is just such a big step closer =-).  I hope everyone else has as awesome a day as I'm going to be having =-) 

-------------

Date Posted: 22 February 2013 at 10:51pm
Yay JD, that is just awesome news! Go wee Marty! So awesome that you are so close and can do all of Martys cares. If you're anything like me, the cares are one of my favourite times.... Cares, feed then cuddles. My 2pm feeding time that I NEVER miss! I can't make the later cares as we live too far away and they are late at night!

-------------

Date Posted: 23 February 2013 at 12:06pm
YAY Marty, you are a little legend! JD that distance is going to make it so much easier for you. FYI - still take care of yourself, as we were only a few mins away like you, but it is still draining. Sometimes if I felt a little guilty missing a feed, I reminded myself that he was 'not supposed to be here' and it was ok to take time. Happy healthy mum, happy healthy baby.

As for us, we are now home :) bit surreal to be honest, but just too too TOOOOO good :) have a lovely day you awesome mums x

Date Posted: 23 February 2013 at 12:50pm
Wow Peppermint, thats amazing!  Congratulations, and please let us know how things go =-)

-------------

Date Posted: 23 February 2013 at 9:59pm
Congratulations Peppermint! So happy for you. How exciting.

AFM, I am so happy. I latched Isaac on at 2:30 feed today and admit to feeling quite disheartened as he really wasn't too fussed about latching. I know it's still early days but he was doing so well yesterday! But then at 4 while I was expressing I noticed the cue signs for a feed so I quickly stopped and latched him with much more success. Then latched him again with his 5:30 feed and holy hell... The boy finally got it and sucked and swallowed like it was the last feed he was ever going to have. Even after I'd tube fed him his whole 31ml he cried when I took him off, and would take a big drink when he was latched back on!

It's weigh day again tomorrow so can't wait to see how much he's gained. His notes said he'd been waking hungry all night so think 31ml just doesn't do it for him anymore. We are aiming for 1800g to get out of the incubator and wear clothes. I just can't wait for that to happen, and although he definitely won't be there tomorrow, it's possible we could reach that milestone next week. Fingers crossed!

I am going to ask if there's any chance of being re-admitted to the NICU once Isaac is really starting to feed just so I can be there for more than three feeds. We live a 60km drive one way from the unit so I may just be able to stay in for a couple of days before we get relocated to my local maturity unit - the final step to coming home.

So late. Am off to bed, although still feel amped after my good feed today so think it may take me a while to fall asleep!

-------------

Date Posted: 25 February 2013 at 8:48am
sounds awesome Minny, well done! Just be careful not to put too much pressure on yourself around the feeding. From experience, there are up and down days (and nights as I have now found out) and there is not always an apparent reason for them. But, stressing / being upset / frustrated about it really does not help. I had to keep reminding myself of that, so did the nurses and my partner. Your man is already flying, he will be there in no time.

JD...how is the Hutt? Hope you guys are nicely settled in :)

Nicky, how are you and Ethan going?

As for us...home is the just the best. I can't wait for you ladies to get your babes home. MW visited yesterday, and will be back again today for a weigh and things. Was nice for my wee man to sleep a little better last night in between his feeds :) hope I didn't jinx it just then!

Date Posted: 25 February 2013 at 9:18am
Minny and Peppermint, sounds like things are just going so well for both of you =-)  The hutt is fantastic, so much more laid back then Wellington.  Ihad 2 amazing cuddles with marty yesterday, aswell as hamish having one =-)  They encourage cuddles as much as you want, and my mum even got to have her first cuddle with her grandson!  It makes so much difference being able to just come and go Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 25 February 2013 at 5:34pm
So happy for you JD. It seems Wellington is quite strict, in Middlemore, I say who can and cannot hold baby, but the nurses will step in if the baby's are being handled too much, or have been out of the incubator in non skin to skin cuddles for more than an hour.

Saying that, I have let a couple of people hold him but only if he's already been out of the incubator. I do prefer less handling and more uninterrupted sleep so he can grow!

Peppermint, I know you are right about the breast feeding. It's so hard to have a good day, then a not so good one! But I do realise my boy is still really tiny so any time he latches on is a bonus. Today he was crying when I got there and the nurse encouraged me to try latch him, which I did. The lactation consultant heard and came in and she was amazing. She changed how I hold him, and also gave me a nipple shield which she said means he doesn't have to create the vacuum, he just has to suck. And suck he did - for ten minutes straight. He was so full he couldn't even fit in all of his feed.

I was stoked! He even repeated the whole thing at the next feed, although I need more practice fitting the shield! I was so proud of my boy.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 February 2013 at 7:25pm
YAY JD...so much more freedom, and, I think that will give you more quality time too :) extra and easier time for Hamish too.

wow Minny, that is awesome. you are right on the money with 'he is really tiny...any time a bonus'. yay for you both.
I use nipple shields, and they certainly take some getting used too. they are recommended for prem babes. I am hoping that I can wean off them at some point, but MW said yesterday not to stress, and wait until my boy is bigger.

babe was weighed today, and hasn't gained any weight since we left hospital, but hasn't lost any, so that is the main thing. we do have to start waking him if he sleeps over three hours during the day so he gets enough feeds, but he can go slightly longer at night. fingers crossed for some weight gain over the next few days before follow up visit with NICU :)

Posted By: eskimon
Date Posted: 26 February 2013 at 4:48pm
******Lurker in:
Just wanted to pop in and say to you guys that you're all freaking legends! Wehad our baby last week and she stayed a night in NICU and the babies in there are just amazing and their parents are the same. You're all doing such an amazing job. Glad to hear you are all getting closer to having your babies home.
******lurker out.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 February 2013 at 7:27am
Thanks Eskimon.... And again, congratulations on your little girl!

Just popped in to say hi. It's weigh day for me today and am looking forward to seeing how much my boy has packed on. He's definitely getting bigger now. It's so good to pick him up and actually feel some weight to him. The doctors are trying to get him out of the incubator by the weekend. He's so close. Was at 1625g last weigh, and has to be at 1800g.

Isaac's feeds are getting better and better using the nipple shield. He fed for a full 25 minutes yesterday, and then we still gave him the 37ml tube feed. If that doesn't beef him up then I'm not sure what will! Heehee... Funny that despite getting a big feed he is still starving by the next one... And filling his nappy for me every feed too! Awesome!!!

Hope you all have a good day.

Peppermint, how are you getting on at home? What support has the hospital given you?

-------------

Date Posted: 27 February 2013 at 9:33am
Hey Minny.

Good news on the feeds! Hungry little boy huh :)

Home is great, so so great! Even though last night was horrendous from about 9pm - 2am. So lucky my partner is amazing and when wee man wasn't feeding, we just tag-teamed in and our trying to settle him. This mostly consisted of being wrapped tight and held close.

My MW came over the day after we came home, then again a few days later for an actual visit and weight for the standard postnatal follow up. Plunket are coming today, and we have a followup with the hospital Thursday. To be honest, we don't have / need an awful lot of support as our man doesn't have any health needs that we are aware of. We were able to just take our small, hungry, baby home - with lots of advice on keeping him healthy and safe from germs and maximising sleep etc.

I have been told to call them, or call in if I need them!

Posted By: Icecream
Date Posted: 27 February 2013 at 10:51am
Lurker ---
This group caught my eye.
You are all amazing mummys with very special tiny babies
My perm baby was 14 last week and starts her first job this week!
Not sure were all the time went, reading these posts brings alot back.
She was early, tiny and very sick.... 9 months in hopsital (longer than in me!) and now has no issues, normal teenager (if there is such a thing)
Do enjoy them when they are small because they sure don't stay small
Lurker out -----

Date Posted: 28 February 2013 at 7:02pm
Hey Icecream, it's good to hear of other premmies growing up! I bet it seems ages ago for you now!

AFM, it's been a great week. My boy weighs 1715g so only 85g to go before we are out of the incubator. Cold be after weigh day this Sunday FX. Also, they had lowered the temp on the incubator to 28 degrees, so today they told me I could dress him, so it's not such a shock coming out of the incubator. Luckily I had actually had a bag of washed clothes in the car. I practically skipped all the way to the car to get them and couldn't wait til he woke for his 11:30feed so I could dress him.

He looked so cute, and all grown up!

-------------

Posted By: Icecream
Date Posted: 28 February 2013 at 7:23pm
Lurker in --
Hi Minny,
Tiny tiny clothes are even cuter!
Lurker out

Date Posted: 28 February 2013 at 7:24pm
Minny - wool = key. Our man has some on at all times and it made such a difference with his graduation from incubator to cot, and then home. Also, socks / booties when you can. Our unit had heaps that we were able to use and bring home. Just my recommendation :)

My man had his weigh in today back at the unit and is up 120g from discharge so that's us...home for good :)

Date Posted: 28 February 2013 at 10:20pm
Peppermint, I only put a onese on him, his temp was quite warm so I didn't even se a blanket, but then he is still in the ncubator for the moment. I have some merino stuff for when he's out and plenty of socks, oho ties and beanies. Still can't stop looking at the photos I took. He just looks too damn cute!

So stoked your boy has put on weight. Great news!

-------------

Date Posted: 01 March 2013 at 12:08am
Hahaha we sent out so many pxts of our man in his first onesie as well....top cute!!!

Date Posted: 01 March 2013 at 6:20pm
Hi All!  Have just been way too knackered to write on here lately, but have been reading to keep up with all your news =-)  I've been spending so much time with Marty it's been awesome.  He's had a busy few days, we went back into Wellington yesterday to get his thyroid checked - all looks good, so good news there.  Even better today he was put onto Wellington CPAP, so now I can see his handsome little face!  It's made things so much better, he's more settled (he hated the mask etc), and I don't have to spend cuddles making sure his bubbles keep going!

Such good news about both your bubs =-)

-------------

Date Posted: 01 March 2013 at 8:54pm
Hey JD, yay for being able to see Martys face. I took so many photos the first day Isaac had no mask on. It was an awesome feeling.

Had another good day today. The doctors this morning decided he was stable enough to be transferred to a cot today rather than wait until he gets to 1800g. He is pretty close anyway. So I took him out of his incubator to b/ f so they could change him over to a cot, and he had a huge feed. Did 20minutes each side, followed by another 10 minutes. We didn't even give him a to up. He went off to sleep contented. I was stoked. At this rate we could get transferred to our local maternity unit early next week, and I get to room in with him. Can't wait for that!

-------------

Date Posted: 04 March 2013 at 7:31am
Hi ladies,

Hope you all had a good weekend.

We've been pretty busy with our wee boy lately. He got weighed yesterday and gained a whopping 190g, so he's gone from 1715g to 1905g! I as so pleased as it means we can be discharged to our local maternity unit later this week. Isaac is 6 weeks old today so he is getting his jabs done. I feel so sorry for him but know it must be done. Providing he has no reactions to that we could be discharged as soon as Wednesday! I just can't wait.

Hopefully get to bath him today too.

Hope all the bubbas are doing well.

I see a few March babies have arrived already!

Have a good week!

-------------

Date Posted: 05 March 2013 at 10:08pm
Yay for the weight gain Isaac, that is great. It will make such a difference being discharged locally like JD.

We have had some massive weight gain here at home too. MW is crazy happy with us, and I am feeling pretty good about it :) got some more advice around winding and settling.

Asked about when babe may start smiling for real, and she said around 4 weeks 'normally' but to add 7 weeks to that for our prem date. Bit of a kick in the guts, but something I need to get used too.

Date Posted: 08 March 2013 at 9:58am

Well we made it out to our local hospital and its been a crazy few days, Isaac hasn't been sleeping well, but then also hasn't had a dirty nappy for almost 48 hours so we will deal with that at he next nappy change and then hopefully I will get my sleepy baby back. He hardly sleeps as he is straining and squirming and I feel so sorry for him.

Loving spending 24/7 with him though. Last night he pulled out his nasal feeding tube and the midwives here had decided not to replace it for the moment but to see how he goes. I am happy as he looks so so cute without it, but also cos it gives me a chance to fully establish feeding him every three hours and settling him with enough time to sleep before he needs feeding again. At the moment he is struggling to settle but pretty sure his tummy isn't helping.

I am learning that sometimes I give in too quickly. He often doesn't want his hands wrapped, but then will stir and whinge and won't sleep, but if I just wrap him anyway and give him a cuddle he will go down without too much fuss!

Hope you ladies and your lovely wee boys are doing well.

Peppermint, I was told Isaac may smile at around 7 or 8 weeks from birth. I have found so many conflicting opinions though. In the NICU we always used to ask the same question to three or four nurses and compare answers! Can be varied. The way I see it is I have been waiting for everything since I got admitted to hospital, and every step was a massive milestone. Being mum to a premmie is a lesson in patience! We will all eventually get those smiles we so long to see...

-------------

Posted By: kiwigal
Date Posted: 08 March 2013 at 3:42pm
Lurker so glad your premmies are doing so well.

I am mum of two premmies they were both born at 35 5d DS was 4lbs 12 ozs IUGR and spent about 48 hours in NICU and DD was 6lbs 2ozs and no complications. When DS was born my closest friend had her daughter born 14 weeks early and was 466 grams and 5 days older than my son.

My kids are nearly 10 and 5

How big were yours ?

Posted By: Kate107941
Date Posted: 10 March 2013 at 1:10am
Hi there

I had been meaning to join the 'due March 2013' thread for ages, but ended up having my little girl early (at 34 weeks)...so it's wonderful to see this forum, and even nicer to see some familiar names!

Just wanted to say how amazingly strong all you women are.   I was a complete mess even with having my baby only 6 weeks early and it was just incredible to me how the mums with much younger babies managed to stay positive (and seeminly sane!).   

My little one was discharged a week ago, and I still can't believe she's actually, finally ours. She's still in her hospital routine (bless her) so it's been a very soft landing in terms of sleep etc, but I'm finding the expressing very hard going. Have just spent 30 minutes on the pump for a measly 30 mls. No chance of her ever being exclusively breastfed unfortunately!

Looking forward to hearing of your babies' progress xx

Date Posted: 10 March 2013 at 2:27am
Hi Kate and Kiwigal,

Kiwigal, my boy weighed 980g at birth! Super tiny, but he's grown so much. I feel like I have a proper baby now!

I am enjoying rooming in with Isaac until he's heavy enough to go home. Love the hospital routine really as it means guaranteed sleep inbetween feeds, with the exception of right now when mr as decided he wants to be close to me and is currently using me as a dummy! So awesome really. Would be fine except my breast is super full and it would be great if he helped empty it so I have to express less off!

Kate, Sorry to hear you can't bf. have you tried Domperidome? I had only small quantities of milk until my MW prescribed that, now I am full on jersey, double cream I think!

I still express alot because he is unable to empty both at each feed, and totally hate it but hopefully it's not for too much longer.

Today I walked past a room and felt quite envious when I saw the infant capsule ready and waiting to go home for a baby born dring the night. It has taken me six weeks to get here and though a massive effort from my wee boy we still don't know when he's going home. On the other hand I am super grateful to have a routine and a very quiet baby!

-------------

Date Posted: 10 March 2013 at 11:18am
Hi Kate, welcome :) a forum none of us wanted to be in but it great all the same!!

I shared a great link a lactation consultant gave me about hand expressing to boost supply I can give you if you want...it did wonders for me. as is blessed thistle and fenugreek (spelling) supplements

I have to say...enjoy the hospital routine while you can...and long may it last! ours is shot, but still trying to stick with it as we can

Just remember Minny, you will get there :)

Date Posted: 11 March 2013 at 8:20pm
Hi ladies!  Sorry ive been awol for a while - I have been keeping an eye on you all, just not quite up to writing.  Had a  few ups and downs with Marty - he went back onto the bubble cpap for a few days, and hadn't put on much weight at a weighing (had to have a fair few glasses of wine when he went back tot he bubble)  Was starting to feel like I'd never get my Marty home!  Also i had a space where everyone else I knew seemed to be going home with their babies...  and We're still in the ward!  But I've made a new bunch of SCBU buddies, so I've gotten over that hump!  All on the up now though - Marty is back on the Wellington CPAP, which means I'll be able to start breast feeding and bathing him again - that had been the hardest thing about reverting to the bubble, so I'm extra happy =-)  Marty was loving his breastfeeding, it was so hard seeing his frustration at not being allowed his booby!

Anyway, welcome to kiwigal and kate =-)  Kiwigal, my boy was born at 27 + 2 and was 955g, he is now 2284g =-)  he has just grown his first wee fat rolls on his arms!  

-------------

Date Posted: 12 March 2013 at 7:13pm
Hey JD,

Sorry to hear that Marty has had a few ups and downs but awesome that he's up again now. I am sure he will continue to improve and be home soon. I can imagine how frustrating it is seeing all your buddies head home. When I left Middlemore, I was one of those in our "group" going home and left only one mum still there. Her wee girl is still on CPAP and struggling a little, so can tell you honestly from the other side of the fence that going home is bitter sweet in a way. My exit was tinged with fear, excitement, sadness and guilt all in one massive emotion! I do know that before you know it, it WILL be your turn.

Out of all of us you have had the longest journey so can fully appreciate your frustrations, but you are doing an amazing job...

AFM, I am still in the local maternity unit. Isaac lost almost 100g after going from fortified milk in the NICU to being exclusively breast fed with no fortifier and having to wake for every feed after he pulled out his nose tube. We are slowly climbing back up now, but it does get disheartening as we were so close to that magic 2kg mark.

We had to return to the NICU today for another eye test. I was so thankful that he got a good result, but still has to go for another test in three weeks when he will be closer to full tern before they will officially discharge him! I hate that eye test so am not looking forward to that but worth it to know he has a clear result at 40 weeks!

-------------

Posted By: Red Rose
Date Posted: 12 March 2013 at 11:06pm
Removed

Posted By: Red Rose
Date Posted: 12 March 2013 at 11:07pm
Removed

Date Posted: 13 March 2013 at 3:09am
Hi Kate,

How often do you express? My mW said to express every two hours at first and eat and drink plenty. It did take a while but now my supply is awesome. How many do you take? I have 8 in 24hrs. I am still taking them, but only to finish what I was prescribed and while Isaac still takes relatively small feeds.

My boy is being a little ratbag tonight. He wants me to hold him while he sleeps. Lovely in principal but really not practical, especially at 3am! He is fed and clean so am trying a bit if self soothing. It's so hard not to pick him up, but he's not screaming, just fussing, and yawning his head off! He did this to me the other night too and I was still trying to get him to sleep four hours later! Lesson learned pretty fast!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 13 March 2013 at 9:07am
JD I remember having tears when my boy went back under the jaundice lights for a second round, even though I knew it would only be a few days, so I definitely know what you mean. Yay for him loving the boob though, little trooper!!

Minny we are going through a little of that now, and yes, learnt pretty quick that lovely, but so so SO not practical to cuddle. I am successfully feeding him longer, until he starts dropping his eyes, and then we are good to go.

Hearing test today so in to the capsule and car again. only the second time since he has been home

Date Posted: 15 March 2013 at 2:38pm
Well ladies, it looks like I may finally be heading home.

I have been in my local maternity unit for 9 days today nd to say it has not been smooth sailing is putting it lightly! We arrived here weighing 1990g, and with a few short days had plummeted to 1910g. He stopped giving me dirty nappies the day we got here, and then a whole day after that was giving me lovely green runny ones. I got many varied reasons for this from the midwives here, but nothing that put my mind at rest as he seemed to have a sore tummy, so "it's perfectly normal" didn't quite cut it!

His BF also went downhill and I received very little help from them.

Anxiety eventually got the better of me and once I started kicking off about wanting to go home they called in the community nurse who will be caring for us. Made me wish I had kicked off a little sooner as she is awesome. Put a new and do-able feeding plan in place, and gave me clear guidelines in the weight that needs to be achieved before I can go home.

So if my boy weighs 2kg tomorrow then we can go home. Admittedly this is a little earlier than they would like but DP's mum has terminal cancer and is going down pretty fast. I am desperate to get my boy home so she can see him. My nurse was so understanding and accommodating, it was quite emotional for me.

Of course I will be gutted if he's not at 2kg tomorrow, but then on the other hand it will definitely be the next day or couple of days after then so really the end is finally in sight for me!

I am still horribly disorganised in terms of linen and a few other bits and pieces, but pretty sure Isaac won't care!

Hope all you awesome mums are doing ok!

-------------

Date Posted: 15 March 2013 at 8:35pm
All I can say Minny is YAY!

Our little man lost weight when I first roomed in, but gained for me to be able to bring him home. He then only maintained the first few days at home, as there is a lot to adjust too.

Same old here...and loving it. Getting some more interaction and personality from my little man which we love. rough night last night with short sleeps and lots of feeding, so hoping tonight is a little more settled :)

Date Posted: 19 March 2013 at 7:18pm
Hi ladies!
So I've had an interesting week or so - Marty's tantrums got so bad for him (meant that he wasn't breathing properly and kept dropping his sats), other babies (as he kept waking them all up) and the nurses (they just didn't have the time to be able to cuddle him as much as he wanted when Iwasn't there)  that he was put into the isolation room so I could stay with him!  Lots less stimulation in there (that was one of the main problems when he was in witht he other babies), so he's way more settled and is doing so well!  He's now just on low flow oxygen, breast, bottle and gravity feeding, no more pumps!  It feels like we are finally on the down hill slope towards Marty coming home =-)

Great to hear Isaac is finally heading home too Minny - you must be stoked!
Hope everyone is well
xxx

-------------

Date Posted: 19 March 2013 at 9:33pm
Jacqui, that really is so awesome. I can't wait for you to be able to take your boy home. You have had to wait the longest and I admire your strength! Yay for low flow, that's a big step in the right direction.... And so nice that you get to stay with him too.

I have been home since Saturday and am loving it. I didn't really enjoy my time at my local maternity unit, for so many reasons really, but mainly because they seemed too blasé when Isaac kept loosing weight. He lost almost 100g and although some weight loss was expected, I would rather be proactive at the first loss and not still be waiting and seeing at the third drop. Anyway, I kicked off enough to spur people into action and things improved so much that I got home in two days!

Since being home we have had one nurse visit already and he gained 80g so I was pretty stoked! The nurse was very happy with him. He's very settled and is sleeping and feeding well, except that I can have a little trouble latching him on and it was getting very stressful. But she gave me a few tips and things are a little better now.

JD, do you use a nipple shied, or latch Marty straight on?

Peppermint, Kate... How are you both getting on?

-------------

Date Posted: 20 March 2013 at 1:38pm
Not so much the dropping stats part...but JD, such fierce tantrums from Marty is very impressive! He is a wee man who clearly knows what he wants and needs. I am glad to hear you are getting to room in with him, things have improved and you are on the home straight.

yay for being home Minny, that is so cool. Good to hear you have both settled and Issac is back to gaining weight.

same same here...sleeping and feeding :) we are getting some more awake time though which is great. hanging out for the first 'real' smile :)
still demand feeding and at 3 hours, give or take. Found out that our babe is sitting just under 50th percentile for prem babies, with the nurse opening with 'I don't want to scare you but...'
and that freaked me out for a while.

our 160g weight gains seem so piddly compared to the gains the babes are having in the other forum, but the nurse said he is great, and we can not expect those big gains from a smaller babe the way he is...I hope so!

Date Posted: 20 March 2013 at 7:20pm
Peppermint, I wouldn't worry about the smaller weight gains. I have been told that they look for 20g a day minimum and anything over this is fantastic. Our boys have had a much harder battle and use all their energy to feed so its great if they are feeding enough to gain weight.

I haven't actually asked which percentile Isaac is in, but the nurse is visiting tomorrow so must remember to ask. Before he was born he was sitting well below the 10th percentile so anything over this I will be happy with. My wee boy was only 25cm long when he was born, and has almost doubled that now at 46cm . I am not worried at this stage though as the nurse was really happy with him when she visited on Monday.

Took him out for a bit today and was mortified that a woman, surprised by this tiny baby in the capsule, practically stuck her face right in next to him. I practically bolted out of the store. Next time I will drape a muslin wrap over the capsule to hide my teeny boy from weird ladies!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net