Print Page | Close Window

Young Mothers???

Printed From: OHbaby!
Category: General Chat
Forum Name: General Chat
Forum Description: For mums, dads, parents-to-be, grandparents, friends -- you name it! And you name the topic you want to chat about!
URL: https://www.ohbaby.co.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=982
Printed Date: 01 October 2024 at 11:49pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Young Mothers???
Posted By: lenabeanz
Subject: Young Mothers???
Date Posted: 29 September 2005 at 9:39pm
Hey guys,

Just wondering if their are any "young" mothers/dads out there.

I gave birth to my daughter 6 weeks before my 18th birthday. When I tell people my age they look down on me etc - even though I am not a "typical" teen mother.

I have been with my partner (and the father - who is 24) through out the whole "process" and we are also engaged - trying to set a date!! We are well set up and a happy family yet I am looked down on cause of my age (I am now 19)

Anyone has any problems with this?
Or what are your thoughts on teen pregnancy etc? (any opinons ok!! I wont take it to heart )

-------------
http://www.snugglepie.com">

Replies:
Posted By: 98765
Date Posted: 29 September 2005 at 10:06pm
I'm 19 my baby is due 6 days before my 20th.
A few of my friends weren't too nice. My friend who i grew up with made me feel real bad and he kept saying i was ruining my life and the babys life, I don't talk to him anymore.
Everyone else i have found seems to be OK or keep it to themselves.
My babys Dad is 23 and a few of his friends have kids so he doesn't hear much bad stuff and he is just really excited.
I think people are surprised because we both gave up smoking straight away and I don't go out much anymore.

-------------
http://lilypie.com">
www.jackkeith.blogspot.com

Posted By: kella
Date Posted: 29 September 2005 at 10:22pm
I don't think there is anything wrong with it so long as you are in a good stable relationship, which you are, I would have had kids at your age if I could have.

Honestly don't worry about what other people think because it doesn't matter, you will never be able to please everybody and there will always be someone who doesn't aprove, the only thing that matters is that you are happy and it sounds like you are, so good on you.

-------------
http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Posted By: skirts
Date Posted: 30 September 2005 at 8:39am
Good on ya, stuff what other people think! Some of the best parents I know had their children young, I dont think age is so much a factor as maturity, some people just dont want to accept their responsibilities no matter what their age! I know a forty year old woman who still treats her kids like s**t! And you'd think she'd have grown up but no she still acts like a silly little school girl!

So good on you, go out there and prove them wrong, society is all to quick to judge I say! I get it all the time, Im a solo mum and apparently I look young (im 24 but still get asked for id) so I get really frowned upon! But hey, I have a beautiful daughter who is in a stable environment, fed and happy and knows her mummy loves her and thats whats important!

Date Posted: 30 September 2005 at 9:34am
Yeah - I have noticed alot of nasty people out there, However life isn't perfect and you have to take on what comes at you.

rachaelcampagnolo - I have had my "best" friends not talk to me cause I couldn't go out all the time and now they don't bother to see me... what goes around comes around I say! I hope everything works out for you

skirts - I admire you for being able to be a single mum and proud of it, a few people I know who have broken up with their partners sit in a corner and sulk, it's good that you have set up the stable environment that your daughter needs and cherish's.

Kella - you have summed everything up perfectly!! People often say to me I have ruined my career life etc, Arna will be at school by the time I'm 23 - life is only beginning isnt it?

-------------

Posted By: Maya
Date Posted: 30 September 2005 at 12:02pm
I was 21 when I got preg with Maya and she was born just after I turned 22. I got the whole "you're ruining your life" thing too as I was half way thru uni and my family didn't like my partner.

Now I'm 24, have a beautiful, healthy 2 1/2 year old, have graduated uni, am getting married in Oct 2006 and am working full time in my chosen career (which also involves a lot of travel so I am still getting to see the world). So I'm pretty sure having Maya didn't ruin my life.

And like you say Lena, I won't even be 40 when Maya turns 18, so I have plenty of time for living!

-------------
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)

Posted By: nikkitheknitter
Date Posted: 30 September 2005 at 12:07pm
Heya,
I'm a young mother and doing it solo. I'm part of the "bad" side of the statistics... one night stand gone horribly wrong. (Well... horribly until I got Hannah)

I had Hannah a month before I turned 20. I've only a had a few bad reactions, the one in particular was an older couple who were family friends. They were really anti about me continuing with the pregnancy as they thought it would end my life. I just see it as a challenge. I'm still finishing my degree in the same amount of time had I not got pregnant and am still getting alright grades, averaging a B at the moment. Could do better but unfortunately I leave everything to the last minute!

And now I've got a fun happy kidlet and a degree to show for my last three years work! Definitely a lot more satisfying than only a piece of paper!

To be honest, I did expect to get a lot more crap for being such a young mum, but as soon as I get talking to someone they realise that there is much more to the story than "single teenage mother". And to be honest, I think I'm coping a lot better than some of the "stable" mothers I hear of out there! Kinda helps being on this site, where people have their own views but never try and push anything on you. Everyone is so accepting of all situations!

Posted By: aimeejoy
Date Posted: 30 September 2005 at 1:58pm
I'm 23 and having my first (so not that young) but some people at my work when I first told them thought I was ruining my career etc and thought I was a bit nuts cos I dont want to go overseas, but have babies instead! My nan still thinks this baby is an accident (it isnt!) and we are too young! My sister is 36 and has only just started her family, and I dont feel she is in any better position than I am now (I am married and own my own home etc) and I dont think that her being older will make her a better mum. I am much happier having babies now and living a bit more when I am 40 and they leave home, then around the other way.

-------------
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08

Posted By: angel
Date Posted: 01 October 2005 at 5:04pm
I was 19 when I got pregnant with Ella and 20 when she was born. A few times I got asked if the pregnancy was planned - and I said yes, because it was. Hubby and I got married just before I turned 19, now I am nearly 22 (our 3rd wedding anniversary on the 5th!!) and he is 26 - planning for #2.

I havent been frowned at - well I dont think I have, if I have been I certainly didnt notice... and frankly... those people can get stuffed because this is OUR lives, not theirs!

-------------
Aimee
Ella - 5.5 years old!
Toby - nearly 3 years old!

Posted By: toniellis
Date Posted: 01 October 2005 at 5:52pm
Hi there. I was 19 when Alex was conceive, 20 when he was born. I am living my life the way I had planned and loving it. Alex was part of that plan and my fiancee & I have both agreed that we can't imagine life without him now. Now I'm planning for baby no.2 and life couldn't be better.
I've had some very bad reactions including my stepfather-in-law telling me "You'd better get rid of it then". It's awful when people judge you. Thats not even a strong enough word for it.
Chin up & congrats to everyone. Being a mum is the best

-------------
Mum to Alex (11), Blaire (10) & Erika (8) and Damien (6)

Successful HWB VBA2Cs!
Soon to be surrogate

Posted By: mum2paris
Date Posted: 01 October 2005 at 8:05pm
YAYAY Emma and Nikki. I had the same, BOTH times.... "oh that's a shame, what about your nursing?" why would anyone think that when you tell them you are pregnant you would want them to say "oh, and are you HAPPY about that?" well, here i am. 2 kids, studying full time, and ihaven't given up, if anything my girls give me even more reason to haul myself out of bed every day in the wee hours of the morn, drop them at daycare by 8, sit in class till 5 and do it all again the next day.   Having kids doesn't ruin your life, it enriches it.

-------------
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Posted By: lizzle
Date Posted: 01 October 2005 at 10:38pm
i'm going back to study for my grad-dip in teaching.....bit nervous about studying with two youngins, but have great family support. I kinda understand the thought that having kids cahnges everything as I thought the same way before I had jake...oh no, what have i done, my life will be completely different, and it is, but in a good way!

Date Posted: 02 October 2005 at 4:46pm
Are you finishing uni this year Nikki?

-------------
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)

Posted By: kella
Date Posted: 02 October 2005 at 10:53pm
I got married when I was 19 and I had my inlaws expecting us to have kids straight away, my father however was totally against it and still is so he doesn't know that we are trying.

I am now 24 and we have been trying off and on since we got married, we are coming up for our 5th wedding anneversary and have had soooo many people asking us when we are going to have kids, its to know what to say sometimes.

Most of my friends have all had babies really young and I have just seen it as a great opportunty to be there for them (which is what good friends do) and I love there babies so much I get so much pleasure from them, I'm happy for them and they have all done so well.

So keep up the good work and enjoy what you have.

-------------
http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Date Posted: 03 October 2005 at 1:55am
wow. my dad was asking and pressuring us into when we were going to have kids.    I finally said to him "well it's not too loate for you and (step-mum)." she said "over my dead body|" and the conversation died a natural death.....then six months later, along came Jake!

Posted By: preggy_sunflower
Date Posted: 03 October 2005 at 12:57pm
Well, I'm the old nana of the group by the sounds of things - I'm 31 and this is my first, and I wonder at times what the heck I am doing having a sprog! I think you young'ins are all incredibly strong young women to be doing the baby thing at your age. When I was in my late teens/early 20's I was far too selfish and self centred to even keep a boyfriend for longer than 6 months, let alone have a baby. But I've had a great time in my 20's - spent most of it living in London and New York, I have a double degree, a wonderful man, a lovely home and a great job - now it's time to do the really grown up thing and have a baby!! You guys just beat me to growing up I think!! When I was a teenager I had a good friend at school who got pregnant when we were in the 6th Form, and had her beautiful daughter when she should have been in 7th Form. She was so brave and strong, and I was so proud of her. She is an amazing mother, and has raised a caring, polite, intelligent daughter. She now has her nursing degree, her daughter is at College, and she's now planning her big trip to Europe. Round a different way to me, but no less meaningful. I say, you girls rock!! Good luck with what your future, and your babies will bring you!!

-------------
Joshua Hadynn - Born 3 May 2006

Posted By: Roksana
Date Posted: 03 October 2005 at 1:38pm
I am 27 and having my first....I would have loved children earlier tho...but I was not married.....(my parents would have killed me if I had a kid out of wedlock)....and so 5 and 1/2 years after we started going out we got married....then my hubby said he was not ready to be a dad yet....no point in having kids if you are both not ready....so we travelled and had our fun.

We have been married for nearly 3 and 1/2 years now and we are both ready and excited....this is our life...no regrets!

My mum was married at 18 and had me at 19...she said it was tough but she would not change it for the world...she will be a gran at 47.....she is over the moon!....that was/is her life....no regrets!

My point after all that blah blah is that....you have your life and you make decisions that suits you best...you make your mistakes and learn from them...never compare your life to some one elses.....I feel proud that you young mums are so strong and have taken up this big responsibility....Good on you!!!

-------------

Posted By: Huckybabe
Date Posted: 04 October 2005 at 9:57am
I had my first (and only so far) little boy when i was 20 (made it by a few months) and actually wished i had been a little younger!

It seemed at the time that there are a lot of groups catering to younger ie teenage mothers from 15-18/19 and for the older mothers around 25/30+ but nothing in between. I gave several groups a try but didnt seem to find any supportive ones. Didn't help being new to the area. (upper hutt area)

Still I am 22 now and everyone wants to know about number two, even my partner lol, but i am still keen to hold off a while.

Posted By: newmum
Date Posted: 04 October 2005 at 9:59am
Hi and welcome Huckybabe!!

-------------

Posted By: Tami
Date Posted: 07 October 2005 at 5:09pm
i think i would have to be the youngest on this site.im only 14 and my little boy is 3 months.i dnt really care bout my age the only thing that suxz is that i get nothing from the govement..but im still in school at a teen parent unit and its really cool..i dont think age really matters as long as u grow up.and you shouldnt be ashamed you got a baby on the way or already here..i no its hard but try not to listen to people that get smart to you about your age.or if you can.then think of a smart comeback to say to people like that

-------------
http://www.babysfirstsite.com">

Posted By: 98765
Date Posted: 07 October 2005 at 10:40pm
Wow you're amazing Tami
My mums friend said to me the other day good on you a lot of people would of been too scared to go through with it. Its nice to hear nice things

-------------
www.jackkeith.blogspot.com

Date Posted: 08 October 2005 at 5:32pm
Huckybabe... Need a Wellington support group for youngish Mums??? We've got one! I'm the youngest (at 20) and the ladies are very lovely ( Ana, Amy, Kelly, Jenna and Kat )

Emma, Finish my degree in a week!!!! (Well... providing I passed all my papers, which I'm pretty sure I have) Just have 9 Tutorial assignments left to complete and an essay. The tute assignments were meant to be done week by week over the semester but I left them until now And here I am wasting time on OhBaby. Will I ever learn???? Assignments don't seem to complete themselves damnit.
Doesn't really feel like I'm done though. Still have postgrad to do Altho I'm quite excited about that.

Date Posted: 08 October 2005 at 5:35pm
oooo and Lizzle... I say go for it. It's honestly not that hard studying with a kid. Well... it kinda is.. but as long as you get enough day care hours to make time for study you should be sweet.
I was looking at how many hours I am meant to work each week and apparently it is 51. I have Hannah in creche for 16 hours a week. It's a freaking joke.
Yeah... so maybe I advise studying part-time. Full time for me was a little bit impossible this semester.
I don't understand how you do it Janine!

Date Posted: 08 October 2005 at 7:40pm
yeah. i think i will go part-time, especially as we are trying to start this homestay business as well, so we will be really realy really busy i imagine. Great thing is, we will be moving to Lewis' parents house in Gisborne, free of charge!! no rent, no mortgage! His dad may come and live with us later in the year...Yeha! free babysitter! So everything seems to be working out relatively well......ohh....sudden urge for orange juice...gotta go to the shop.....eeew, forgot to say, remember Nikki, you told us about Hannah pooing and "getting into it", well jake did that today. i was gagging. i so wish i could've just ignored it and left it for lewis, but no can do! jake is now walking and into EVERYTHING!!! ick ick ick!

Date Posted: 08 October 2005 at 10:06pm
Yay Nikki! Congrats girl! All your hard work has paid off!
Do you have any plans for after graduation? My advice - take a long break! You deserve it!

-------------
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)

Date Posted: 08 October 2005 at 10:33pm
lolol, hey what do you know Nikki... i have assignments due too, and i'm on here as well. have a few dues in the next week, all partially finished (or should i say partially started?)

we have the girls booked into daycare full time. but if i finish early i get them and go home, they sleep longer in the afternoon here so i get stuff done, but hello, our lecturers don't really talk to each other i think.. we have around 29 hours of classes per week at least, sometimes full days 8 - 5, of the same thing, then they expect us to do like 80 hours per semester at least of self directed learning time for each paper... pfft, we are doing about 7 papers and when you break it all down, there just aren't that many hours in the week!    i am slack at doing pre-readings... i read what i think will help me, and look at the other stuff later.   CONGRATS to you Nikki. look forward to being able to say the same thing about myself - only 8 months and counting.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 October 2005 at 9:15am
I been slack at looking at the forums in the last few days!! Been to busy sorting things out for our new job (EXCITING!!)
Tami - Good on ya girl.. I had a friend at high school who had a daughter when she was 15 (pregnant at 14) and when people made fun of her she just turned her back and showed them that she could still do what everyone else was doing - finished school at the teen parent unit - she even got through a major life threatening injury (broke her spine in a car crash). And she is the best person I know to this day.
I say no matter on your age if you have the support then anything is possible - To all of you who are studying while looking after your children - you guys need a medal!!... we all do

-------------

Date Posted: 09 October 2005 at 10:29am
Hey Nikki, what have you been studying? Congrats (soon! ) and good luck getting everything finished!

-------------
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08

Date Posted: 09 October 2005 at 11:17am
Not long to go Janine, you're on the home straight!

-------------
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)

Date Posted: 09 October 2005 at 8:07pm
NIKKI!!!! I know you only said youngish mums because I am the old granny of the group!!! LOLOLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 09 October 2005 at 8:11pm
lolol. hey YAYAYAY i finally got a birth today! yayay!... i knew it, just cos i stayed up till midnight last night - i get called in at 8 am this morning. lol, but YAY!

-------------

Posted By: lou
Date Posted: 09 October 2005 at 8:24pm
Thats great news Janine - So what was it like watching someone else give birth?

-------------
Mother to two beautiful children - Sophie age 6 and Ephraim age 4

Date Posted: 09 October 2005 at 8:28pm
Wow, that must have been weird, seeing it from the other end... my mum said that... she was there when Joey was born

-------------

Date Posted: 09 October 2005 at 8:28pm
lol painful - nah you just can sympathise with them and feel like you wanna do all the work for them.. you know each stage they are going through and when they start making all the same noises you did you know what's gonna happen next. - definately i now get why they say that to fully be able to understand and empathise with a woman, to be her midwife.. it's good to have had your own children first. was kewl though

-------------

Date Posted: 10 October 2005 at 5:25pm
Lizzle... Sounds like it's working out for ya! Love it how things seem terrible at the start and then suprise you by working out better than could have been imagined! A lot can be said for positive thinking
And hahahahaha about Jake.

May all mothers take note and know that some day, some how, it will be their children who manage to get hold of their own poos. I just hope it doesn't happen again!!!!! I think twice is enough. (Yeah, I was stupid enough to leave Hannah nappyless again. Oh, and the other day I took her nappy off and she did it while standing up. That was actually quite cute and contained. Neat little suprise on my neighbours front step. Luckily they didn't come out the door! hehehehe)

Aimee... Been studying Political Science and Religious Studies. Yeah... bit of a nothing degree. My new plan is to work in International Aid. Gotta have at least a Masters degree for that tho. So I'm probably going to rope myself into atleast another 5 years of study.

Emma... Am planning to get a job over summer. Or not. Got so many trips back to Rotorua planned that it's not really worth getting a job. Especially when I'm still being supported by the government. Except I'm really over being on a benefit. It's making me feel like crap at the moment.. I just want to be earning my own money.

Janine... Cool about the birth. All a bit more education for if you decide to have another one huh?

Posted By: Tami
Date Posted: 12 October 2005 at 11:20am
lol i would love to watch a birth..thats would be sooo cool to see 1.my friend watched her son being born with a huge mirror...why didnt i think of that(LOL)

-------------
http://www.babysfirstsite.com">

Date Posted: 12 October 2005 at 1:10pm
I watched Maya's head crowning in a mirror. It was really cool, but kind of freaky.

Good luck with job hunting Nikki. Student job Search are really good, I got a summer job thru them one year when I was over being on the Student allowance and wanted some extra cash.

-------------
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)

Posted By: meow
Date Posted: 12 October 2005 at 2:02pm
Don't think i posted on this thread yet so..

Hi, I'm Kat and I'm 21 with a 15.5 month old daughter. I was pregnant with her at 19, and had her a day after my 20th birthday. This might sound selfish, but I'm glad she was born a day after my birthday, as I didn't like the idea of sharing my birthday :P Also, if I ever want to go away for my birthday in the future, she can't say "but you can't go away on my bday" hehe.

It is tough being a young mum, and sometimes I wish I was older and had the chance to experience life a bit more beforehand, but I wouldn't change having her for anything. We get on well together and I can appreciate her more now she is older and can communicate better with me. I hope we will be great friends as she grows up as we will be closer in age than most mothers and children I know :)

-------------

Date Posted: 12 October 2005 at 11:38pm
i watched jake's head crowning too. I got a bit distracted though and was watching too much and forgot to push. Then i started bleeding ab it, which i thought was interesting and would've liked to continue watching, but they wouldn't let me. Also wanted to see the placenta come out. that was much bigger than i expected. i poked it a little.

Date Posted: 12 October 2005 at 11:43pm
hahahahaha lizzle

I remember them asking if I wanted to touch the head as she was coming out but I was too pissed off that it was taking so long so told them to rack off.

I was wayyy too out of it to even notice what was happening with the placenta but I remember my Mum's when she gave birth to my brother and I've seen lots of sheep placentas. I bet I've prodded a few of those in my time. I was a kid who was always obsessed with those kinda things

Posted By: Roksana
Date Posted: 13 October 2005 at 9:33am
ohhh NOOOOO....I dont wanna see ANYTHING!!!

I just dont think I can handle it....specially the birth of placenta......I hate blood.

I was very good in my science subjects at school and my parents thought I would become a doctor....so did I...till I discovered that I hate blood...LOL

So I became an accountant instead.....He he ha ha

-------------

Date Posted: 13 October 2005 at 11:31am
LMAO Liz - you crack me up !

The midwives are going to ask me at the time if I want to have a look - not really sure . Would be kinda interesting, but then again not sure if I really want to see things from that end!

-------------
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08

Posted By: lou
Date Posted: 13 October 2005 at 3:21pm
I got asked if I wanted to have a look, at first it was a definant no, but did end up trying it.  It was kinda weird but I fould it really good.  It gave me something to focus on and I could see what was happening when I pushed.

-------------
Mother to two beautiful children - Sophie age 6 and Ephraim age 4

Date Posted: 13 October 2005 at 5:54pm
The midwife said sometimes it can help women to focus and work out which direction they should be pushing

-------------
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08

Date Posted: 13 October 2005 at 11:19pm
It';s funny, my midwife said that too, and i said, well doesn't everyone know which direction to push...OUT!!!!

Date Posted: 14 October 2005 at 11:19am
LMAO!!! It was really dark in the birthing room where Joe was born and I was squatting on the bed. I never got asked if I wanted to look and I doubt I would have seen anything... my midwife had to get a torch herself, LOLOLOLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 14 October 2005 at 1:31pm
lizzle, actually, no - i didn't know which way to push.. i think I was scared of tearing and so it took 50 mins to push her out

-------------

Posted By: Teenmummy
Date Posted: 15 October 2005 at 5:25pm
Hey everyone jess here boy i havent been on this site for awhile,been so busy with study and my two little children.
Im turning 20 in two weeks and i had my first son at 17(pregs@16) then again i fell pregs at 19 with my second son.
Im still with the father too who is similar age to me and we both live in hamilton. Im also going to a teen parent unit the same as tami and yay i finish next month.

back when i had my first son i really didnt see much young mothers now wow theres alot and its funny when i go shopping or anything the other mothers always smile at me lol,and the other day this old lady in the supermarket said how proud she was of me havng and caring for two children lol she didnt even know me and she said that.

That was really nce of her i thought, us young mothers keep on getting stronger each day and keep on growing.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 October 2005 at 9:34pm
Ha ha Roksana, i'm not a huge fan of gory stuff myself... but have been in theatres and it's not that bad... the way they do things on tv looks soooo much worse! I remember with Paris the midwife asked if i wanted to see the head.. and - i bet you'll all laugh - i thought "my god, it's head is so small i thought i would be bigger" till irealised that hello, that was only the tip of her head, there was MUCH more to come... he he... was kewl to see her born though, i think my miwife told me to stop and wait for the next conraction to puch the rest of her out, but she just flew out - i also, now that i'm thinking about it, think my miwdwife got me to grab her and put her on my chest myself... hhhm i think i blocked alot out.

Jess it's so nice when a stranger makes your day - i remember when ayja was a couple of weeks old and we went to the warehouse, paris was being a snot, mike was in a grump and ayja was in the front pack - way overtired and decided to scream herself to sleep - we were down the end of an aisle and mike told me to go wait in the car cos ayja was too loud (he gets embarrased when everyone looks if ayja crys... hello, like i don't?) as i walked past an old lady, feeling kinda ick and worn out, she just put her hand on my shoulder and goes "it'll get better" and just walked off. that made my day... and funnily enough, by the time i had walked down the next aisle on my way to the door - ayja had zonked out and i went back and found mike.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 October 2005 at 8:52am
Its so nice when strangers do nice things like that - warm fuzzies

-------------
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08

Posted By: mumstheword
Date Posted: 16 October 2005 at 10:31am
I had Caleb at 19.. I lost so many of my so called good friends as I was the only one with a car, when I had Caleb as I couldnt go out all the time and drive round during the day and doing shopping trips out of town... they were never real friends, and even though Caled died 5times after birth abd spent 2mnths in the hosp before comong home they never bothered visiting.. Also when I went into prem labour the first thing they did was alchol and drug test me.. because I was young, they then found out my uterues was only quater of the size it should be.. and alot of the older midwifes were really horrible to me.. single young mum... I wasnt prepared to be a mum, i moved home with caleb and got my sh*t organised... I know have a great house, a great partner, and not to float my own boat but we are set up pretty comfortably, nice stuff, nice cars.. not really extra money but enough to be stable, no extra luxurys, now in 24 and preg with number 2 but so many people that dont know me just presume its number 1 and ask me if im looking forward to being a mummy.. I say yes I am and my son is looking forward to being a big brother and starting school... and then watch some jaws drop in amazement and some just say oh ok you look to young to have another child. Being a mum was the best thing that ever happened to me, i was F^%king my life up before I had Caleb. now im settled happy and loving being a parent, im urrently doing small business managemnet and in a year I want to go to massey and do my Bach in Early childhood eduvation...

-------------
http://lilypie.com"> http://lilypie.com">

Date Posted: 16 October 2005 at 12:21pm
awww you guys are making me smile.
i'm proud of you all

Posted By: reneeC
Date Posted: 21 October 2005 at 2:48pm
I got pregnant just after my 18th birthday i freaked out i was living in aussie my bf had shfted back to nz a couple of weeks earlier. I thought the easiest way to deal with it was to have an abortion and pretend like it never happened but i coudln't go through with it i had made the appointment and everything!! I rang my bf and told him, we hadn't been getting on so well but i have never heard him so excited our families were all really happy for us. I flew home 2 months later and alot of ppl gave the "oh are you gutted you won't have a life anymore" speech but my simple reply was why can't i share that with my child when im a bit older, i don't care about going out anymore or getting drunk. Im now 19 with a cute 6 month old she makes my day i love hearing her in the mornings in her cot making the cute noises they make. My life is getting better and better im doing a correspondance course in tourism, my partner and i are currently living with my mum until we have saved for a deposit on a house.
I have to admit though there are a lot of young mums who ruin it for us and give other mums a bad rep because of there immaturity a girl i know said its great living with ya mum aye cause ya can take off anytime and leave the baby with them for the day my reply to that was i didn't have a baby so my mum could raise her!! i know ya need time out but when it comes to going out for an hour or so i miss ella heaps when i do and love coming home for cuddles my partner is great too with ella

Posted By: daikini
Date Posted: 21 October 2005 at 7:52pm
A month after I turned 20, on my boyfriend's 28th birthday, I found out I was pregnant. At first I thought I was 13 weeks, but actually I was 20 weeks. A month later, my boyfriend broke up with me. He couldn't "have a girlfriend who is a single mum or pregnant"... never mind his part in the situation! I haven't seen him since, and haven't talked to him since Kiya was 6 weeks old. I sent him our contact details by text regularly until she was a year old, and I invited him to her 1st birthday party but never got a reply.

It was hard, being a mum at 20, but my family were really supportive and I became part of a great church (where I met Nathaniel when Kiya was 6mths old). I have a wonderful, brigh, happy daughter and the whole experience has shown me I have more character than I ever thought possible.

-------------
Becca, mum of 2 girls & 3 boys

Date Posted: 21 October 2005 at 7:57pm
On the funny side: my brother and sister are 10 and 12 years younger than me. My parents had dropped them off at my place one morning and I was walking them to primary school with Kiya in the pushchair. Someone asked me how long I'd been nannying! I was, like, "no, this one is mine"

-------------

Date Posted: 24 October 2005 at 12:36pm
We just had my partners "step-nephew" staying with us for the long weekend (Funny broken up families!) - He is 3, I took him and Arna to the new Warehouse in PN and this lady came up to me and said "did you even go to high school" - Bronson is Maori and quite dark and I have olive skin although not dark - I don't reckon I even look like his Aunt or anything!!

Some people are rude!! But I had this disgusted look on my face while I walked away from the "crazy" lady and this older women just said to me - "Don't worry about people like that, You could be a Nanny, an Aunt, friend or their mum..." I ended up talking to her for about 10 mins!

A positive out of a negative I think

-------------

Date Posted: 24 October 2005 at 4:25pm
It's so weird that people feel that they have the right, not only to judge, but to tell you that kinda thing! It drives me crazy!

Date Posted: 25 October 2005 at 10:54am
oh how i wish someone would say something like that to me. they'll have wished they hadn't!!!

it's funny but i think i've desensitised to people like that. when my friends take hannah for a walk around town they always come back saying how they were stared at by everyone and made them feel horrible... i don't even notice it anymore. or maybe it's a difference in how you carry yourself when you are walking around. i always make sure my head is up and smiling. i've only ever had people say positive things. (except when one lady asked how i felt being a big sister ?!!?)

Posted By: Alan Mum
Date Posted: 26 October 2005 at 8:07am
Lena I just read one of your pervious posts you mentioned a girl who had a car accident she worked a Pak'N'Save for a while I remember her she is a neat person. how is dong now?

-------------

Date Posted: 26 October 2005 at 9:56am
Hey Deb,

Haven't seen Aimee for a while but last I heard she is now walking and able to drive. She was @ Burwood for about 6 months then was on 2 crutches / wheelchair when she got back home then slowly was able to walk.
Sophie (her daughter) will be coming up 4 i think (either 3 or 4 can't remember )
But she has finished 7th form at the Teen Parent Unit in PN (Freyberg) - should track her down again and see how she is!! I have been quite slack at catching up with all my old school mates!!

Was talking to the new boss last night and we are moving in on the 10th Jan (maybe the 9th - the sharemilkers there at the moment are being quite stubborn!!) I have 2 weeks to unpack and get to know New Plymouth / Inglewood so if your not on holiday will probably come up for the day and you can show me around

How's lil alan?

-------------

Date Posted: 26 October 2005 at 11:54am
My sister (just turned 21) took Maya shopping when we were in Aussie when Maya was a few months old and this lady came up to her and said "I hope she's not yours". Claire couldn't believe it, I mean it was kinda obvious that Maya wasn't hers as Maya is very olive skinned and Claire is quite fair, but what if she was? What a rude thing to say!

I once had a lady make a nasty comment about my ability to parent Maya very loudly to her friend in a doctors waiting room. Maya was dressed immaculately, clean and tidy, but having a tantrum and I was ignoring it. Just because I am young (and probably also because I have several tattoos) they assumed that I was a bad mother. I bit back so fast - I told her in no uncertain terms thatif she was worried about Maya she should notify CYFS, otherwise mind her own business.
She turned around and acted as if she had never said a word...

-------------
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)

Date Posted: 26 October 2005 at 12:17pm
Haha its quite funny when people react on "looks"!!

A close friend of mine had twins when she was 22 (unfortuntley one was stillborn) - however she has tattoos of Dragons, dagger, birth sign on her wrist / lower leg and ankle - she gets so many bad looks when she is with Bronwyn (who is nearly 7) that we just crack up...

The joys of not being what the higher social class call "normal" ...

-------------

Date Posted: 26 October 2005 at 12:18pm
Note: That last comment was a jab at the MIL!! lol

-------------

Date Posted: 26 October 2005 at 12:36pm
Funny thing is I am actually fairly conservative...

-------------
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)

Posted By: Alan Mum
Date Posted: 26 October 2005 at 11:30pm
Hey Lena I am so pleased Aimee finished 7th fornm that is fantastic.
Alan is great got his first tooth which was exciting.
I should be arond on the 11th and 12th but T think we are heading to Plamy the week later we will be back in NP for the 15th my soon to be sis in law is getting married. It will be very cool to catch up tho.
Take care talk to you soon.

-------------

Posted By: daejons_mummy
Date Posted: 23 November 2005 at 12:11pm
hi guys i am a young mum too i am 19 and have an 8 month old son Daejon i live in south auckland really want to meet other young mums with bubbas round the same age email is bumble_styx@hotmail.com

-------------
Rachel 19 south auckland NZ son daejon 12 march 2005

Date Posted: 23 November 2005 at 12:12pm
how do you get your tickers on here at the bottom of your pages???

-------------

Date Posted: 23 November 2005 at 12:13pm
cant get mine to work

-------------

Date Posted: 23 November 2005 at 12:21pm
Use the BB code for forums
Paste it into your signature on your profile and hopefully it'll work!

Date Posted: 23 November 2005 at 12:52pm
I've had so many looks when I take Ella out but I don't really notice anymore.. sometimes people make you feel uncomfortable but then I think to myself later, why should I let them make me feel like that? I'm a great mother to a wonderful girl and they don't know me at all!

Quite often I get asked "is this your first?" and I think - hello? I'm 21, but ppl say I look 17 hehe.. I'd be worried if this wasn't my first (not meaning to offend anyone younger than me and a mum! :) )

-------------

Posted By: k&jsmum
Date Posted: 23 November 2005 at 1:27pm
arent ppl just so mean!!!! My friend was preg at 15 and had her daughter at 16 (my god daughter) She married her partner and childs dad 8 years later (they have always been together )and ppl seem surprised when they find out that hes lanys dad anyway Lany is 15 now and they are still together cool. my mum had me young 2 and she used to tell ppl i was younger that i was cos she looks young for her age she hated seeing ppl trying to mentally work how old she was when she had me when they found out my age

-------------
Marlene
Keegan ~ 14 October 2003
Jaidyn ~ 14 October 2003

Date Posted: 23 November 2005 at 1:42pm
There's a 10.5 year gap between me and my sister with no-one inbetween(not for lack of trying!). Mum was 21 when she had me, and nearly 32 when she had Kathrine. A couple of years later, Mum and Dad adopted Simon at birth.

When I was in 7th form, one of Mum's workmates made some comment about how good Owen (Dad) is with me, thinking that because of the gap I wasn't his child! Mum just smiled and said "He better, since she's his daughter!"

-------------

Date Posted: 23 November 2005 at 2:20pm
Just got busted for spamming...

I got asked for ID the other day when I went to buy Willie a box of beer. So stoked, made my day!

-------------
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)

Date Posted: 23 November 2005 at 2:29pm
Im 19 yet I hardly get asked for ID anymore - Went to Pak n Save in Palmy to do groceries the other night and I brought a box of beer (among the normal weekly stuff) and they have this new system called shop and go (will explain later when I can be bothered!!) Anyway they didn't ask me for ID yet its the supermarket policy to ask for anyone who looks under 25...

I am quite surprised how many young mothers there are and how good everyone copes with different situations..

Lost the Losing weight post - but I lost 3 kgs so far!!

-------------

Date Posted: 23 November 2005 at 2:53pm
Yay! Keep going! I had a shocker of a week last week (fish and chips, pizza, Wendy's, trifle....) but still lost another 500g, so happy with that. And back into the gym and healthy eating big time this week!

-------------
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)

Date Posted: 23 November 2005 at 3:11pm
yeah i went and filled the car up this morning and i got a pie and v (they on special) but i got the sugarfree v...

But i ran around playgroup all morning so i think i worked it off!!

-------------

Posted By: Dashone
Date Posted: 23 November 2005 at 3:20pm
I had my daughter 4 days after my 17th birthday. I don't think there is anything wrong with being a teen mum. I think as long as you are taking good care of your child it shouldent matter. I know a girl thats 17 and has three children and doing well.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 November 2005 at 3:32pm
Hehe Lena, sugarfree V keep me going! Pak n Save have them on special for $2.19 atm so I stocked up this morning. I have one a day usually, but some days I get a bit carried away. Gotta love that caffeine buzz!

-------------
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)

Date Posted: 23 November 2005 at 3:45pm
Haha 0 points too!! Can't beat that!!

Think pies are like 6 points or something - misplaced my book so I am just guessing - and misplaced my calculater too... Not having a good week - Guesstimating my points at the moment which isn't the best.

Just a random spout of happiness - When I was growing up we bred Rhodesian Ridgebacks (dogs) and our last one (a pet) passed away when I was 10 and have been wanting one ever since - And one of the ladies we know from breeding is still doing it and she has got a lil pup for me!! Will post a pic when she sends me one... Getting it in January... SO EXCITED!!! ... Sorry

-------------

Posted By: k&jsmum
Date Posted: 23 November 2005 at 3:49pm
ummmm v drinks my fav. so the sugarfree ones are still ok for weight loss? I saw on one of those lose weight/get fit programmes that they are full of calories. i dont drink anything else with caffine in it so thats my only hit.
the last time i got asked for id was about 6mths ago. i was stoked as i am 32!!! yay. i think its cos i am a big kid at heart lol

-------------
Marlene
Keegan ~ 14 October 2003
Jaidyn ~ 14 October 2003

Date Posted: 23 November 2005 at 3:53pm
my dad got asked for I.D for smokes. He's 47!! He was so excited I think everyone in the family knows about it.

I am thinking of doing the breastfeeding programme after B2 is born, although with Jake I'm running around constantly. Might lose weight that way!

Date Posted: 23 November 2005 at 3:55pm
Yeah pretty much any "sugerfree" drinks are 0 points through WW, best to check with Emma coz she's more WW savvy then I am!! I'm still learning!

-------------

Date Posted: 23 November 2005 at 4:05pm
Sugarfree V isn't in the book, but it has 6kj and 0 fat so that makes it points free. Not tht filling up on caffeine, guarana, taurine, aspartame and who knows what else is actually good for you. But I don't drink alcohol or smoke (anymore), so I figure I have to have one guilty addiction .

Lizzle, chasing Jake around and feeding B2 it will probably fall off you!

-------------
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)

Date Posted: 23 November 2005 at 4:21pm
Love WW! I lost 10kgs for my wedding in January, then got preggy straight away, so back at square one now!!

-------------
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08

Date Posted: 23 November 2005 at 8:16pm
lol, i wish it would fall off me! after having miss ayja I haven't really shifted too much - i think i have started to beef out if anything cos she doesn't need so much anymore and i have been eating alot of on-the-go foods cos mikes out working on stockies and I have 2 kids to contend with. lol, would hope that stress would make it go away, but it hasn't.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 November 2005 at 9:21pm
I think the pies and fish n chips will help keep that butt in place!!! I love NZ food!

Date Posted: 24 November 2005 at 12:01pm
My little sister has just been checked into an eating disprder clinic with anorexia. She is 18 years old, 1.70m and only 43kgs. I didn't grow up with her and have only started to get to know her properly this year so she didn't really listen to me when I tried talking to her about her problem because she was fading away in front of us. My dad and step-mum were such idiots and let it get totally out of control. They wouldn't listen to me when I tried telling them she has a problem etc. At least she has admitted herself she has a problem now and said she realised it was too much when it started huting her to sit and lie because she was so thin!! I am really glad she is being looked after now and I am soooo mad at my dad and step-mum

-------------

Date Posted: 24 November 2005 at 12:54pm
awwww Ana, your sister is lucky she has you. and it's actually a really good thing that she realised now before it is too late. watched girls on tv the other night who were so young and thin yet not willing to accept any way other than anorexia. yucky yucky.

Date Posted: 24 November 2005 at 1:44pm
Sorry to hear about your sister Ana, Hope things go up from here

A really good friend of mine had anorexia for about 18months and in the last few months has only just accepted she has a problem and is now gettin help. Went from a healthy size 14 to a size 4 -6.. Apparantly she is a 8 now and is doing great.

-------------

Posted By: Anjelmajik
Date Posted: 24 November 2005 at 4:03pm
hi there
I'm 17 and about to have my first baby... I live with my partner and I am still going to school, via correspondence through a teen parent unit. I was 16 when I concieved, and I see no reason why that's a bad thing... It just means I've got more energy to run after the wee horror :)
I never really had a childhood anyways, I was always looking after my mum up until Sept this year when she passed away, and my dad's not in the picture...
My partner and I have been together for 2 years and his family is really supportive. We have just put a deposit on a new house, and we're really looking forward to this new baby!!!! To all those other young mums out there... GO GET EM!!!

-------------

http://www.tickercentral.com">

Date Posted: 24 November 2005 at 5:03pm
Welcome Anjelmajik and congratulations - sounds like you are doing really well!

Ana, I hope your sister recovers quickly. It's really bizarre but I actually have more body issues now than I did when I was really big. I suppose because then I was just fat in general so I never looked good, whereas now I worry about my flabby arms and tummy coz the rest of me is coming along quite nicely. I always thought I would feel better about myself when I lost weight, and for the most part I do, but I do have a few insecurities that niggle at me.

-------------
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)

Date Posted: 24 November 2005 at 7:08pm
Welcome Anjelmajik!! That's awesome you have a deposit etc!! We are lucky we get our houses with the job (farming) so not an issue... Yet!!

I'm real surprised how many of us teen mums are out there!! And we all doing real well for ourselves... Pity about the critics...

I'm kinda the other way around Emma, was a size 8 - 10 before I had Arna , now I am around a 12, doesn't seem like much but I assess every part of my body and how it use to be - only downsize of having kids in my family!! ... Keep up the good work Emma! Sounds like you have alot of motivation and drive!!

-------------

Posted By: caitlynsmygirl
Date Posted: 24 November 2005 at 9:02pm
i had my daughter at 20,her dad and i only stayed together for 3months-so she wasnt planned...but as it said at bethany centre where i stayed..no child is a mistake from god...
Her dad really pushed the idea of abortion but i stuck to my guns and he accepted it and now he adores caitlyn spoils her bloody rotten when he sees her!
My grandmother didnt talk to me for the whole 9mths of my pregnancy but she got over it and sometimes theres no point in holding a grudge-and she adores caitlyn too.
My parents were awesome from day one they supported me and stood by me and still do.,,tho i dont show it all the time-im so grateful to them.
Caitlyn is welladjusted,social,friendly and apart from a wee cold at da mo perfectly healthy, i am working full time to save up money and her dad is now married with another kid -and i couldnt be happier for him or his wife-who is awesome.

People are always gonna shun young mums at the end of the day who cares what they think?

btw ive noticed u all have awesome photos with pics,symbols words etc-howd u do that?

Date Posted: 24 November 2005 at 10:07pm
click on the pics and they should take you to the site where you can make your own!!

Ana - your poor sister. I really feel for you both. I guess it must be hard for your Dad and step-mum admitting things are out of their control. If they are anything like me, you pretend everything is fine, so then the problem will naturally go away...but life doesn't always work like that.

Date Posted: 25 November 2005 at 8:26am
You are right Lizzie. I think most people wish problems would go away and I am sure I am guilty of sticking my head inthe sand too. I think because it was so obvious to me, I only saw her once a month or so - it was really noticable, and I couldn't do anyhing about it is why I am mad.

-------------

Posted By: MaryMc
Date Posted: 09 June 2006 at 7:02am
All you teen mummies here - try this!

http://www.TeenMums.co.nz

Posted By: ellabellame
Date Posted: 09 June 2006 at 1:39pm
i was 19 when i got pregnant and 20 when mikey was born, my partner is 22. we live on the west coast and i think people here r more accepting coz there seem to be more teen pregnancies here than in other places.ch as being really interested and constantly asking questions.

Posted By: nicola86
Date Posted: 09 June 2006 at 2:02pm
Well i am 19 at the moment and only 11 days away till my due date.

When i told my parents they stoped talking to me for around 6months but are now over it which is good

Im still with the father and we are looking at buying a house! I am so very pround of you all

Posted By: mum2lilyandcharli
Date Posted: 10 June 2006 at 1:31pm

hey gals
I had my first daughter lily when i was 19 years old and now am 21 with 2 babes!(had just turned 21 when baby was born) my partner is 24. I think when people hear of young mums they instantly think of the old stereotypes which i think is just wrong! Being a mum should have nothing to do with age but it should be able how much you love and care for your baby!
Congrats to you guys for ya babes and ya babes to be! Let people think what they wanna, coz in the end you know whats really going on!

-------------

Date Posted: 10 June 2006 at 1:33pm
Ooooo I love your babies names

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net