FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMirena and weight gain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ange221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ange221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mirena and weight gain
    Posted: 12 October 2009 at 3:38pm
I have had my mirena for two months now and am steadily gaining weight despite watching what I eat and exercising every day. In one week I put on 2kg which is ridiculous.

I am seriously considering having it taken out as I don't want to "see how it goes" for a year only to discover I have put on more weight.

Is anyone else having these problems?

Did anyone lose weight after it was removed?
Sponsored Links

monikah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monikah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2009 at 4:20pm
a good friend of mine put of quite a bit of weight with hers. she finally got it taken out when he hubby had his vasectomy and was confirmed to have no swimmers. its coming off again now but slowly and she is having to be quite careful with eating and exercise etc.. she was eating really well and stuff before too but the weight didnt just drop off with no effort when it came out

tarns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2009 at 4:50pm
Hi Ange...I had a Mirena for two years and now that I think about it, yes I did put on about 10kg in that time..I actually put that down to being happy tho lol....had got divorced and found a new man and you know how that goes...munch munch munch!
Didnt lose weight after I had it removed..got UTD instead.

I must say I found it a really convenient contraception though! Good luck whatever you decide
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2009 at 5:14pm

I don't think I have and I got mine in May this year. I do know it is a side effect. However weight does flucuate and the 2kgs could of been gained due to that time of the month. I noticed that happened to me when the witch was meant to arrive but didn't due to the Mirena.

If it is a big concern talk to the person that put it in to see what is going on.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2009 at 2:52pm
I know a woman who put on weight but it is mainly fluid retention however as she said weight is weight lol.

I have had no problems at all with mine, I have now had it for 2 years and its fantastic I haven't put on any weight however my skin isn't the flashest. For me the contraceptive part of it weighs out the side effects. So think about other options for you, give it another month or so and have a chat with whoever put it in.
Debbiezzz269436 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbiezzz269436 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2021 at 6:32pm
If you can keep active and avoid comfort eating (definitely harder for me during the pandemic) you can definitely lose weight on Mirena.

The recommended 150 minutes a week of moderate exercise (or 75 minutes of more intense exercise) definitely helps. That's a couple of walks or online cardio / Zumba / HIIT classes a week.

Yoga helped me lose my weight a lot faster.

Yoga burns calories when done the right way.

If you are serious about losing weight and getting fit, you might want to implement a 60-minute power yoga and/or vinyasa flow practice at least five to six days per week.

This yoga weight loss program was easy to follow and worked for me on Mirena.

Each class is easy to follow, but is varied and enjoyable. Dynamic Sequencing means you'll always be challenged regardless of your current level.

If you want to follow my example, think about coupling your practice with a whole foods diet for optimal results.

Good luck!

Mandy
 Post Reply Post Reply