FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMarch & April 2008 Mummies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 273>
Author
LockieandLiam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LockieandLiam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2008 at 5:02pm
I think they can last up to about 12 weeks. They say they start to appear between week 3 and 6. Liam has just started to get a few now. Lockie was covered in them, I'm hoping Liam doesn't get them as bad, they look awful. But they say its the mother that notices them the most.

Edited by Mummy2one

Sponsored Links

EmDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2008 at 8:50am
Well we had a good night last night. Lilia slept 3-4 hour stretches after her feeds and after her 2am feed she (and I) didn't wake til Stu & Ollie woke us at 7am!

She did give us a lovely big poo this morning so had to have another shower with dad as she had poo all over her cord stump so it doesn't get infected.

We were going to venture out to playgroup today but Ollie is acting a little funny. I'mwondering if he is coming down with something ... only time will tell I guess.
DS 8
DD 6
DS 4
DD 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LockieandLiam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2008 at 10:18am
We had another good night last night too. Finally got the little monkey to sleep at 6.45pm (he had been awake since 2.30pm, which was doing my head in). Liam woke at 11.15pm so I was happy with that, then he woke at 4am, and at 6.30am after he had finally pushed out that poo that he had been trying to do for ages by the sounds of his grunting and groaning. Had him back down by 8am and he is still sleeping now.

How was playgroup Daph?

EmDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2008 at 4:45pm
We didn't make it to playgroup, Ollie was just a little 'off'. We decided to stay home and just give him lots of atention and it seems to have worked, he is back to his usual happy self. We think he may have realised that Lilia is now part of the household and not just a novelty for a few days!

We did go into Stu's work, mainly to put her birth notice in (he works for the regional newspaper) but of course to show Lilia off! It was a good outing for all of us (Ollie enjoyed sweeping the floor?!) and I enjoyed people reactions when they found out she was only 4 days old!
DS 8
DD 6
DS 4
DD 2
emmaohara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmaohara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2008 at 2:01pm
Daphne, Ben is the same , think he though Soph was just visiting... but now he strokes her and points to her knee and says baby knee and baby nose, very cute, hes still not his usual self but hes getting there!

Things are a bit better here, everyone still sick but hopefully the runny noses will clear up soon, Soph is sleeping 3-4 hours at night but is a bit of a cryer during the day and wants to be carried all the time, so I might have to invest in a sling

Hope all is good with you guys

tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2008 at 2:50pm
Last night was bliss! Aoife slept from 9 - 4:30 and 5:30 - 9. We woke her at 9 when Eimear stirred.
Eimear was unsettled between 10 and 12:30 but slept the same as Aoife after that.
Long may it continue I say. We're trying to get them to bed at a more decent time now that all our visitors are gone.

Baby monitors are great to 'dull' the baby cries too!
It's funny that Paul can't distinguish between the girls cries at all whereas I think they're completely different.

I've just back from Baby Factory where I bought an activity mat thingy for the girls too. Can't wait to try it out with them after their next feed

Hope all is well with everyone. Looks like the good weather has finally left Wellington. sigh
lucky3rdtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucky3rdtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2008 at 7:52pm
Hope everyone is good.

Don't you hate those hormone spots, they look so ugly on your bubbas face.

I must ring the osteopath too Tiff, will do it on Monday, hopefully it will help with Gabs wind.

We got discharged from the mw yesterday, it was a bit weird to think I won't be seeing her anymore. Our first appointment with plunket is in a week and a half. Gabs now weighs 3690g or 8 lb 2 oz, which is a good weight gain from her birth weight of 6 lb 10 according to the mw, so its good to know she is getting enough.
emmaohara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmaohara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2008 at 1:58pm
Hey ladies, how are you all doing?

We had a super long sleep from miss chubby last night, I have been giving her a bottle of formula at 9ish and it seems to be filling her up a bit as last nigth she slept until 3am! I never gave Ben a bottle , well he never took one after trying at 6 months, so its a new experience making up a bottle and feeding it to her but she drinks between 40-80mls!, I know my milk is non existent at that time as she feeds constantly from 3-9 and then still takes a bottle... seeing mw tomorrow and getting her weighed ( shes 2 weeks arrrrr big girl!!) hope shes back to her birth weight.

Any one using a bottle yet?, expressed or formula, I daren't tell my mw as she hates formula but I learnt something from my battles with a hungry hourly waking all night ben..

Tishy can't believe your girls are nearly 2 months old, bet they will love a play mat, I have a black and white book for Sophia and she just stares at the zebra and loves it, so they are never to young!

How are things going with the toddlers Dawn and Daphne?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LockieandLiam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2008 at 3:02pm
Yesterday we went away to Hanmer for the night as it was my sisters 30th birthday. I was a bit nervous about the whole thing, I really didn't know how things would go. But they were excellent. Lockie slept in a bunk bed and didn't wake at all during the night and little Liam well he did a 6 hour stretch from 9.15pm to 3.30am (can't complain about that), and then from 4.30am to 7.30am.

Emma - Liam seems to want to constantly feed from 2pm to 5.15pm where he has a nap but will then feed again for another 3 hours after that. I haven't tried the bottle but it has crossed my mind. Apparently its called cluster feeding when they keep feeding and they are just building up enough food to get them through for a bit longer. I must say when Liam does it (yes a pain and it drives me bananas), he seems to do a great stretch at night. It's really hard when you have a toddler on the scene wanting your attention too.

Liam having a great sleep now went down at 12.15pm (in the car) and well its nearly 3pm and he's till asleep, unlike my toddler who had 45mins in the car and is a little ratty, but we did give him the chance to go back to sleep in his bed and he just lay there talking. We could be in for an interesting afternoon.

tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2008 at 6:34pm
Emma - we use the bottle here for expressed milk. Have been since we were in Neonatal. Funnily enough the nurses had to suss out whether we would agree to use bottles before outright suggesting it So for the first few weeks we were topping them up with milk after we fed them. I think it was the main reason we got discharged so quickly.
Now I use it if I'm exhausted (more than usual ) and want a longer snooze or if either girl is on a growth spurt and I have no milk left in boobies.
I'm still expressing last thing at night so my milk supply is keeping ahead to them thankfully. I'm also stocking up the freezer nicely for if I want to disappear for longer than a couple of hours. I haven't yet but I like to know that I can

I think the girls were a bit overwhelmed with the activity mat! hehe

Our sleep last night wasn't as good as the night before. both girls did 8:30 - 2, then Aoife needed more at 4 and I didn't get her down again til after 5. Eimear then decided to wake at 6 so it was a long night for me. Tonight I think I'll go to bed the same time as the girls rather than stay up watching Kill Bill 2 until 11:30

We had an antenatal catchup this afternoon, it was nice to have mums and dads there. Aoife was both the oldest (other than Eimear) and the smallest there hehe!

Glad your night away went well Dawn. I hope Lachie behaved himself this afternoon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucky3rdtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 2:23pm
I have bottle fed since day one with formula with Gabs as bf never interested me. She is usually a good sleeper too, will mostly go for four hours at a time, but don't know if that has anything to do with it. I discussed it with my mw when I first met her and she was always supportive of my decision.

I made an apptmt with the osteopath today for next Thursday after an unsettled night and the feed from hell this morning. She just kept power vommitting and wouldn't bring up her wind and then had the biggest poohy nappy and finally got a huge amoutn of wind up and she was good after that. It can be so frustrating sometimes when I can hear the wind bubbling away but she won't bring it up and she's only had half the amount she generally needs. So fingers crossed the osteo will help her burp herself more easily.
EmDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 2:37pm
I hope the osteo can help Lucky that sounds awful for both you and Gabrielle.

I've started expressing milk after most feeds as Lilia doesn't seem to drain me the way Ollie used to. Its really just to get the excess milk (like 20-30ml), I don't want to increase my supply or anything. Plus as I will probably be heading back to work when she is around 6 months it will be good to start stocking up now.

With wind Lilia is pretty good at getting it out herself, generally I can just sit her up and she'll burp, though someimes she will need a bit of help.

Saw the mw today for our 1 week check up, Lilia has lost about 150gm, but is otherwise doing fine. The weight loss kind of worried me as Ollie gained in his first week, however mw explained that losing up to 10% in the first week is considered to be ok.

On the toddler front Ollie did not have a nap yesterday and he was a right little ratbag. He started to fall asleep on the couch just before dinner and he wasn't rousing in response to his name. However Stu said 'do you want to play with the helicopter?' (Stu bought a cheap remote controlled helicopter off Trademe) and he was awake so quickly and trying to get off the couch, it was so funny! He's been a little trying today too, but at least he is having a nap ... 2 hours and counting. I think he may have molars and or eye-teeth coming up, but I can't get into his mouth to have a look.
DS 8
DD 6
DS 4
DD 2
Tiff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 3:38pm
Finally made it on here again!! Amazing how your days seem to fill up!! And because Rohann only seems to slepp on average about 1 hour I have to squeeze a lot into that time!! But I can't complain she slept from 8 - 4.15 then 4.30 - 7.30 last night and this morning so I figure she has to fit those other feeds in somewhere!!!

I'm a bit nervous saying this but I've had to bottle feed Rohann from 2 -3 weeks. A really tough and emotional decision for me (so no negative comments please). We deiscovered at her 1 week weigh that she had lost too much weight so it was decided she would be weighed in 2 days, at that time there was no real improvement. Long story short it was discovered that my milk never came in properly (never got the engorgement, leaky boobs etc), I started doing everything I could to get my milk in; expressing after every feed with a hosp grade pump, special tea, massaging a special oil into boobs etc. Unfortunately I'm unable to take the medication to bring on milk as it reacts with another medication I'm on and at this stage I need to stay on that for heath reasons. After a couple of days of this it was decided she needed something else as she was not coping on the little I had, so we started lactatube feeding her (feeding her with a tube and formula while on my breast). But unfortunately my milk just didn't come after almost a week of this (I tried expressing without feeding her once to see how much milk was there and after 20mins I got 10ml off one breast and 20 off the other and in that time I should have been getting at least 150ml) so the decision was made (with help of m/w and lactation consultant) put her on formula. She still feeds off me at least once a day but it's more for my comfort and hers than anything as she still needs a bottle after this. I don't feel guilty for giving her formula as it's the best thing for her but I do feel angry that my body hasn't worked the way it should and it has let me and Rohann down, especially as she is the best feeder, she was straight on the breast and latched perfectly. So it's been a bit sad, but as soon as she startesd getting the formula she was like a different baby, as before if she wasn't feeding she was grizzling and crying and not sleeping (except at night, she was always good there, though we thought it was be default as she wasn't sleeping during the day).
Anyway sorry for the novel!! what a long way to say 'yes we are giving our baby the bottle'!!!

Lucky I really hope the osteo can help por Gabs (and you!)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LockieandLiam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 3:52pm
Well finally got Liam down at 2.40pm (from 7.30am) for longer than 10 mins at a time and he is still sleeping now touch wood. Mw thinks he is on a growth spurt but I was wondering if my milk supply was enough for him as he seems to be a right piggie. Although yesterday I was so engorged it wasn't funny to the point of uncomfortable. So not really sure what to think right now. We had 5 really good days and nights and since yesterday arvo things turned to custard so could point to growth spurt I suppose. I was so tempted to send DH down to the supermarket to get some formula as I was shagged and hated seeing Liam that way too. Mw said just keep feeding and feeding. So fingers crossed we have got through the worst of it.

On the toddler front Lockie decided no sleep today, didn't help that he had pooed himself after we put him to bed and DH only found that out at 2.15pm (when he had been in bed for 2 hours already). DH and Lockie have now gone out in the car to the mall. Lockie fell over just outside the door and it was the end of the world (of course no sleep didn't help matters, and I had only just got Liam to sleep, thank goodness that commotion didn't wake him). So think it might be early night for that little boy. He went to preschool this morning so he has to be shattered.

Right I should really put my head down and see if I can get some kip before no.1 comes home and no.2 wakes up.

Tiff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 3:58pm
Mummy2one - hope things settle down for you soon, sounds like it's been tough. You could be right about the growth spurt - don't they say every 3 - 4 weeks? Enjoy your sleep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucky3rdtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 4:16pm
mummydee, Gabs lost about that amount of weight after the first week too and it is nothing to worry about, my mw said the same, up to 10% is normal.

Yeah I was thinking that a growth spurt could have been our problem yesterday too, she kept wanting to feed every 3 hours, which is not normal for her and during yesterday in the day time she was pretty unsettled as well as last night, at least she is more settled today. Well either that or she just had a massive wind build up and got it out this morning LOL!

I just had to wake her at 3pm as her last feed was at 9am and she had been asleep since about 10.30-10.45 this morning, so that's a pretty long time between a feed really, 6 hours, its a bit of a stretch for her, so she fed (well this time) took 80 mls and put her back down about 3.45pm and back to sleep(well fingers crossed).
Tiff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 5:25pm
Far out Lucky thats a long day sleep - she must have needed it after her busy day yesterday!! Can you believe our babies are four weeks old!!! Where has that time gone?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucky3rdtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 6:47pm
I know its a bit sad to think that a whole month has gone by already!

Yeah I wish she would sleep 6 hours at night instead, she just woke up again so that's only 3 and a half hours since her last feed, which is earlier than I thought it would be, its just so hard to tell at the moment how long she will be down for. DH does the feed at this time of night, which is good, gives me a break.
EmDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2008 at 8:48am
Tiff - just wanted to say (re: bottle feeding) that you are doing the best by your baby and that is all that matters! I can imagine how it may make you feel sad, but you have a healthy baby and that the most important thing

Well we had a good night last night, Ollie slept right through and woke happy for a start. Actually when Stu went to get him out of bed, I heard Ollie say 'Boo' when Stu opened the door! Cute!!

Lilia went down to sleep at 9pm, awake at 1am then back down just after 2am and awake at 6am again. She's now been down since 7.30am.

This morning we are all off to music, I think I'll let Stu do the running and dancing around with Ollie though. I think Ollie will love the novelty of having dad there with him.

Right off to check the March thread to see if there are anymore bubbas. Have a lovely day ladies!
DS 8
DD 6
DS 4
DD 2
tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2008 at 11:08am
Tiff,I must say I admire you for the effort you made with breastfeeding. I know I wouldn't have lasted that long.

Daph - that is soo cute of Ollie!

We had a similar sleep pattern last night as well. Other than Eimear being her usual windy grizzly self and needing one of us to settle her to sleep.

I had an upsetting revelation this morning. Yet again I was thinking ' I can't wait until this part is over so things get easier' But it doesn't get easier do they? Just different?

I find myself feeling guilty for not being able to give the 1 on 1 time that I think each of them should have.
The only time, and energy, I have is to feed, burp and change them. By the time that's all over it's time for them to sleep and me to get some food into me before it all starts again.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 273>