FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOctober 2008 Mum’s and bub’s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 448>
Author
kmarie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmarie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2008 at 1:04pm
Hey Fi have you been taking any painkillers for it? I only had a slight graze from when Bethany was born that didn't worry me much, but the general ache down below was quite intense for a while. I was on voltaren and 4 hourly panadol for the first week. (I usually hate to take anything but between that and my nipples taking turns at being cracked I decided something had to be done or I wasn't going to cope!) The other thing that I found helped was putting a hot wheatie bag down there - helped me forget the pain enough to get to sleep! Sometimes putting it in the small of my back helped too.

Hi Jo, congrats on the birth of wee James I seem to be spending more of my time in the sept mummies thread cuz Bethany was meant to be sept bubs but she arrived on Oct 2. Definitely worth the wait though!

Wow Chonny, D's sleeping patterns sound great! Must be a relief, esp. now that you've got two little ones to care for. Bethany seems to be feeding 3-4 hourly during the day now, though will sometimes do a few patches of 2 hourly towards the evening. We're now able to get her down at 9pm without too much fuss. Then she sleeps till around 1am, feeds/changes and is back down within 30mins (most of the time...), then wakes around 4-5am for another feed and tends to be wide-eyed and ready to face the day! Now that DH is back at work I've taken to putting her beside him in our bed at that point so he gets some snuggles before he leaves for the day.

Anyway, she's sleeping at the mo so I should go and get some shuteye myself while I can...

twins in heaven Oct07
Is 40:11 "He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart."
Sponsored Links

JoJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2008 at 5:06pm
Hey everyone, because I had a c-section I missed the pain down there which is a positive, that and only small discharge. Thoug probably would trade that for the mess my stomach is, I'm really afraid its always going to look terrible, like those before pictures in that ad up there. But oh well thats the price you pay I guess.

James slept 2330-0530 last night! then we slept for 0630-1000! MW said its fine to leave him for as long as we like at night, so its brilliant. he doesn't sleep much during the day, just short naps, and one 3 hour sleep which my MW said to make sure we wake him after 3 hrs so he can differentiate between night and day. I can't wait until we can get him into a proper routine.

He gets quite grizzly though which sucks cause when DH comes home I want a happy baby for him, but I think I expect too much at this point. Hear him stirring now.
FionaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2008 at 5:18pm

Kristy, have been taking panadol but that's about it, today is the first day it actually feels like its easing which is nice, but the overall ache is nasty. I now have some itchy stiches too!!!

DS asleep on DH while inlaws do the shopping, how good is that!! Still worried about how you manage a day when DH goes away, its nice to be able to get him to settle finley or change him so i can do something else, like dress or feed myself.

Awesome sleeps for James Jo, we had a good night, he went down at 11 until 3, and then up again at just before 7, and has had all his sleeps at the right time today, just a couple of short naps and one long one during the day seems to work with him.

Inlaws are here and its ok except i need to bf in another room, i am not happy doing it infront of father in law, don't know why, probably as Finley and I are still learning and he still takes his time latching which means i need to concentrate and its not very discreet iykwim.

][/URL]

chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2008 at 10:11pm
ok, why am i not getting emails about new posts for this thread? weird!

Kristy, you have had sore nipples too? how did you cope? I have fed D off the RHS once today & that was with me crying & calling out angrily. That was 1st thing this am. expressed this avo & then again just now for this feed. Only problem is i couldn't get much out tonight I'm worried my supply is going to dry up on my RHS but at night i am FAR too tired to even bear the thought of putting him on there! He can get on my left no worries, i think we can even do it without the shield now too but still not on the RHS. MW coming tomorrow to check on us so may ask if i can go to papakura use their pump to try empty the breast to allow it to fill. I feel like such a wuss this time! i never had to express with V, can't even remember how i managed to cope. i think this time coz V is around i am more tired & not sleeping in etc. plus got a head cold now.

Anyways, fi hope things go ok with the in laws. not sure when mine are coming up.

FionaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2008 at 11:29am

Ok breast feeding is a pain, my boy is just not a natural sucker at all, he has a bottle feed at 10.30 each night now after we established my milk is just rubbish at that time, so dh either gives  him milk i've expressed through the day or formula, allows me to get some sleep.

Anyway he slept until 3, which was fab but took from 3 to 4.20 just to have one feed, getting him latched on too forever and was so stressful, can see why people give up for sure giving him a bottle takes no time and nobody cries, we were both in tears. Still determined to carry on - just needed to vent about it today.

][/URL]

Katie_R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katie_R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2008 at 11:33am
Hey!

I can't wait to join in on the feeding and sleeping talk.

We get woken up ALLLLLL the time which totally throws any routine out the window. Some nurses leave us and get me to ring when we are awake and ready for test etc.

But most of them just bang on in and do what they have to do (and I have been here for long enough to know they can wait!)

So yea feeding and sleeping is just all over the show, unless we have a good nurse for the day or night.haha

Hey Chonny there are some really nice pad things you can buy to wear in between feeding. Heaps of different things out there (which I learnt from working at baby city, I had no idea with #1 and just had to live with the pain) Maybe you could see if you can get something that might help?

kmarie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmarie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2008 at 12:15pm
Hey chonny sounds like you've had a really hard time of BFing this time around! It's not an easy road eh?

After Bethany was born, when we first tried to latch her, she just wouldn't latch properly to my left nipple - kept on tucking her bottom lip in. I just put it down to pure exhaustion on both our parts from the length of my labour. About an hour later after showers etc. and being transferred to a room, we tried her on the right and she latched fine after a little coaxing.

From there my left nipple ended up getting REALLY sore and cracked, then it eased slightly and my right nipple had a turn... then back to my left nipple being really bad. I found I was putting pure-lan on both before and after a feed, and gritting my teeth REALLY hard to get her on. It was hard to judge what was just sore nipples and what was bad latching, so it kept taking me quite a few tries to latch her, esp on the left side. The nights were worst - I found myself dreading feeding her when she started crying, and of course when you're tired and trying to latch it's really easy to let her go on slightly wrong which makes the next day even more painful!

I was determined though, and convinced that it was getting a little easier each time (at least that's what I told myself, lol!) so persevered. Even now I find that latching her on the left can still be slightly painful at times (no comparison to the early days though!) but for the last week I haven't used anywhere near as much pure-lan, yay. If it does get painful I take her off straight away and try again, and although that means that, particularly for her night feeds, it takes quite a number of tries to get it right, I figure it's worth it.

The other thing I keep doing is looking at her and reminding myself of how gorgeous she is... and that makes all of it worthwhile

So hang in there, it will get easier! Sorry to hear you're not well too - that really doesn't help

Katier that must be so frustrating! Hopefully it won't be long now and you'll be able to go home. Have they given you a time frame yet?

Fi, glad the pain is clearing up a bit.

Uh oh little miss is calling (though should be asleep... I think she's just majorly overtired...) better go.

twins in heaven Oct07
Is 40:11 "He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart."
jessm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2008 at 1:42pm
I find that it hurts to latch on and for the first dozen sucks, then its fine. One side is a bit worse than the other. Is that bad latching or my nipples getting used to it? She looks okay to me! But she's started only partly opening her mouth & puckering her lips when she's not really starving - I think shes afraid of being drowned! Means patience until she opens her mouth properly... little monkey!!
chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2008 at 2:03pm
well i had these problems last time too. was saying to mum earlier, i think i coped a bit better last time coz there wasn't anyone to hear me scream & i was feeding more often but with David being such a good sleeper & not feeding as often as Vincent did, it's often a good 6 hrs or more between feeding off the rhs. i think it's the memory of the pain. I tried again this morning & got him latched. Vincent loves saying yeeha so i got him to help me & we both yelled out yeeha! This meant i was going to scare him by screaming. no tears, but it was agony the entire time! The cut seems really deep. looks like it may have gotten smaller but still deep which is why i think it hurts. the lhs is ok now. still little sting initially as he gets it in the mouth etc but nowhere near as bad as the rhs. MW coming in an hour or so & will talk to her again about it.

Katie, i'm finding the johnson's disposable pads are actually pretty good (found that last time too) also the hemp ones mw gave me on tuesday are REALLY good. they don't stick as much like she said they wouldn't. lol.

Was worried last night as i couldn't express much but filled up during the night & could feel it filling up this avo. Mum came just after feeding D on the RHS & suggested that since i was still dripping i should try express. it hurt like mad, but i managed to get 20mls out. that will at least help for later. poor kid hasn't fed much today as he not feeling 100%. all snotty & mucousy.

Ok, sorry for my big rant! Fiona, sounds like you are having some trouble with feeding too. big hugs hun, i know the feeling! have you mentioned to your mw about how long it is taking to get finley latched? perhaps she can send you to see an LC to get some tips? they normally schedule it around a feed so they can watch you feeding...

chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2008 at 2:10pm
btw! David tried to smile yesterday! i thought i must haev been dreaming, then he did it again this morning & then again for my mum. so i'm not going crazy! he's so clever!

kmarie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmarie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2008 at 2:49pm
Yay for clever bubbies... DH and I have been convinced that Bethany has been smiling since about 10 days old (I think?) - and the other day when the mw was here she gave me a big huge smile, and my mw said that's definitely what it was! Yay We had a lovely 'talk' this morning and Bethany gave me a few big huge smiles in a row, it's so cute!!!

Chonny, glad things seem to be slowly calming down. Hope they keep improving for you!

Jess, that sounds perfectly normal. I'm kind of at that stage now too with my lhs - the rhs seems to be fine. It's only when the pain doesn't stop that I make myself re-latch her

twins in heaven Oct07
chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2008 at 5:05pm
well, mw just came & i am now about to go & pack to go into the birthing unit to get help with healing my nipple. she says it looks bad & we wanna see if we can get it fixed over the weekend. she so lovely my mw. so onto it. so i'm off for a "HOLIDAY". Reallys ad bout leaving Vincent with DH but i know my mum is around. i think i'm sad bout leaving V at all. lol. how weird. lol. but hey, if we can get it healed then awesome. mw thinks the steam machine at papakura may help draw the infection out. there is a name to what it is apparently. lets see i guess.

kmarie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmarie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2008 at 6:08pm
Hey chonny that sounds fantastic - hopefully it'll be the miracle cure you need! What a great mw

twins in heaven Oct07
Katie_R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katie_R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2008 at 6:26pm
i used these really weird plastic things with k. they are a dome and they have a hole for your nipple so they dont touch anything in between feeds so thats some kind of relief. also they stimuate around them so you actually increase your milk supply too and it catches the milk too so you can actually keep it (really slowly and small amounts but still). sorry quick post!! good luck x

lottieandharry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lottieandharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2008 at 7:43pm
Just popping in to say that I have been down to meet wee Sophia, Emma's ( meandbump) baby and my niece!! She is very cute and has the chubbiest cheeks I have ever seen!!

They are supposed to be coming home tomorrow so when she has time I am sure she will fill you all in.

Congrats to all you new mummies

poohbear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poohbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2008 at 9:28pm
Cool- I just found this post :) Hooray for October bubies :) I am so enjoying motherhood this time around although there have been several challenges I just feel so blessed to have my little boy. Anyways just thought I would say a quick hi :)

FionaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2008 at 10:43am

Chonny I want your mw.

Last night spent most the night in tears over our latching on problem, some days is just so much worse than others and last night it took 40 minutes to get him on only for him to then fall asleep and wake up not long later looking for more, poor thing he was exhausted and so was i.

How do I find an LC? My mw just seems to think I should persevere, which is all well and good but in the middle of the night when you can't feed your crying child all you want to do is give in and give them a bottle. I felt like a total failure last night.

Feeling a bit better this morning, trying to remmeber its a new day and maybe today he'll remember how to bf again. I just want to feed him.

Sorry another ranty day from me.

Awesome that your mw is going to sort your nipple out Chonny, hope it works and you'll be back in no time.

Time to wake him for more food - wish me luck!!

][/URL]

Leahsmummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leahsmummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2008 at 11:34am
Our first bath at home

Sleeping in my own bassinet

Having cuddles with my Daddy

Angel Baby Dec 09, We will love you forever.
Chickoin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickoin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2008 at 12:47pm
She's gorgous Sarah! The pic with Daddy makes me teary, so cute how he's rubbing her teeny back!
katie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2008 at 2:13pm
Fifi sorry to hear about your feeding issues. Was just going to say that I think you are really sensible thinking about getting a LC especially if you are not getting enough help from your mw. Have you looked in the yellow pages or otherwise rung plunket line. Maybe even ring the maternity ward at the hospital and they will be able to give you details for somebody. The sooner you get help the easier it will be. Hang in there lovely, it is really hard at the beginning but hopefully you can get some good support and things will get much easier for you and bub. Take care.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 448>