FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIs this rude or am I just a cow?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Aprilfools View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aprilfools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is this rude or am I just a cow?
    Posted: 08 November 2007 at 12:32pm
Do you think it's rude when people ask you when you're going to have a baby or if you're trying to get pregnant? Yet another person today asked me if we were trying to get pregnant and I don't know this person very well. Ever since we got married that's all people ask us. I just think it's really rude because I think it's a very personal decision and also the fact that it's heartbreaking to those that are trying and not having a lot of success and also to those who have perhaps just got some unpleasent news in regards to fertility. I don't mind my closest family asking and they are always polite enough not to ask in front of others and I don't mind the cheeky comments from people but some people seem to think it's their right to know if you're trying or not. I'm not mad I'm just wondering if anyone else finds it a bit rude?
Sponsored Links

Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2007 at 12:34pm
I think it's pretty rude. I used to get that all the time and it was particularly hard when DH and I were TTC.

I think people mean well but if they actually thought about what they were asking.... It's none of their business.

noodle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2007 at 12:41pm
i find it a bit rude aswell i always have people asking me when we are going to have kids and yip it started as soon as we got married i find they are asking more and more now that we have been married for 2 years. and then they go on to say well you dont want to leave it too long before you start trying because you never know how long it will take little do they know that we have been trying for over 2 years now! some days it really upsets me and other days i just ignore them and tell them that there is no rush! (all my closest friends and our familys know we have been having trouble tho its just generally people i dont know that well that ask) I just think to myself tho that i cant wait for the day when we tell these people that we are pregnant and when they say oh that didn't take you long you wernt even trying when i asked you last and i say to them yea i lied it took 2 or so years and lots of fertility intervention. and watch their faces drop hopefully it will teach them the lesson of not going on about it to people because you just never know what they are going through! sorry bout the novel hehe

Peace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2007 at 12:51pm
I actually get a lot of this, a couple of memorable scenarios:
I was a a friends house and her whole family was there, her little boy was about 7 months old and I was playing with him She piped up and said (Much to my horror at the time) "When are you guys going to have a baby?". I was mortified, me and Hubby (he wasn't then though) at that stage had been together for 5 years and not used protection. "Uhh, When we get there?" was my answer before she blathered on about us needing to hurry up about it.
Next one was not so long ago (maybe 4 weeks) at Hubby's work and one of his work mates gave me a pointed stare at my tummy (I'm as far from thin as possible and was definitely wearing the wrong top!) and asked "When should be be expecting #2?". After recently suffering a miscarriage I was quite prepared for me to get bitchy and tell her "We just lost a baby, give me a goddam break!". But since Hubby's whole office was stock still and eagerly awaiting my answer, I resorted to my tried and true answer: "Uhh, When we get there?" before going on to moan about how I had put on weight.

I honestly think that people generally ask out of curiousity and since I am a better person, I will learn from their mistakes. I have a friend who is currently having fertility type (Endo, adhesions) problems and instead of asking out right "WHEN?" I asked her "Do you?" because it sounds a lot nicer and is a less on the spot question.
It is a little insulting and rude when people are like that but I guess it is part of the never ending cirle of questions: When are you getting engaged? When are you getting married? When are you having kids? When are you going to have another? When are you going to stop having kids? When are you going to kick them out of home and not let your kids sponge off you? When are you going to buy a house? When are you going to... eh!
DD1 May 2006
DD2 March 2011
DD3 August 2012
tropics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tropics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2007 at 1:45pm
its totally rude! ever since I got married I would go into our local bakery and I would get this lady asking me EVERYDAY! äre you pregnant yet?" to start off it was a bit of a joke and after months went by I stopped going in there and a friend of mine who knew we were having trouble told her to mind her own business that it wasnt an appropraite question to ask and that I was having ïssues" so it was a senstive question! Now I dont really have any quams in telling people that i am trying, have had a mc and have pcos.....dont want there pity but it shuts them up and they stop asking also when you tell people its amazing how many other stories come out of the wood work of people in the same boat
[/url]
meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2007 at 2:22pm
I think that when you are pregnant and people ask "was it planned" is just as bad. Some people even dared to say "was it a mistake?"
Because we didn't plan our daughter, but we still love her as much as any other couple who did plan their child would.. but I mean, what do you answer to that?!

IVFGirl1111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IVFGirl1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2007 at 2:34pm
GRRR I HATE this question with a passion I am SO over being asked that

And yes I have been asked YET AGAIN today!!
TTC 6 years
IVF it is
IVF/ICSI round one
10 eggs, 8 mature, 3 fertilised BFN
IVF/ICSI #2 = 22 eggs!
20 mature, 15 fertilised, 1 fresh transfer and 2 frosties
BFN
2 Frosties still in freezer thank god
Aprilfools View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aprilfools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2007 at 3:03pm
meow - how about 'no it was a surprise'. Why do they have to be referred to as mistakes?? I'm a surprise.
meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2007 at 3:07pm
Yeah I did answer that, sometimes through gritted teeth though

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2007 at 3:24pm
My mum puts my sister down to jet lag lol and always refers to her as her bonus, she is the youngest of 4 of us.

We use to get asked all the time and I just use to tell people I didn't want kids, everyone was pretty surprised when we told them we were expecting and asked if it was planned which quite frankly was non of their business and I also don't really see what difference it makes planned or not.

I don't know why people assume the minute you get married you are gonna start trying for a baby.

SquishysMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquishysMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2007 at 4:34pm
I get asked ALL THE TIME!!!! It's a bit of a joke at work that it's my "turn" next - we had several babies born in the last year, almost half the women were pregnant at once! So at work it's ok, they know where we're at (I have said MANY times not planned for a couple more years). In-laws, however, don't get me started!!! I'm just happy that there was a niece born recently to take the pressure off for a little while.

ps hi Dal!!!
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2007 at 6:58pm
It's avery personal question and it bugs me how often people feel at liberty to ask! We get:
"Do you think you'll have any more?" "We're not sure yet"

"Was it planned" (I always say yes to this even if we weren't the ones who planned it haha - cause I'd hate for people to get the wrong impression and tell any of our kids they were unplanned or mistakes when they are older)

"Don't you have a tv?" "Haha but tv's just a big manual these days"
IVFGirl1111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IVFGirl1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2007 at 8:30am
I am the youngest child of 4 by a LONG shot and I ALWAYS get told that I must have been a mistake! It really annoys Mum because for all people know they could have been trying for ages and it wasnt happening! Mum always said that they wanted 4 children it just happened when they didnt expect it lol.

Hey Cathrine! I was only thinking about you the other day wondering how you were!
TTC 6 years
IVF it is
IVF/ICSI round one
10 eggs, 8 mature, 3 fertilised BFN
IVF/ICSI #2 = 22 eggs!
20 mature, 15 fertilised, 1 fresh transfer and 2 frosties
BFN
2 Frosties still in freezer thank god
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2007 at 11:28am
It is a little rude, but its also very normal.
People always want to know how your life is, first is

How's the Love life?
Then when you meet someone, its When are you getting married?
Then you get married its, When are you going to have a family? etc etc.

I always think these questions are up there with what's the weather like, as most people don't want the truth. ie we've been trying for over 2 years and can't get pregnant, or no we aren't having children.

They are some peoples way of having conversation, usually they are people who you aren't close too.

I don't think you are being a cow, but be aware that people are going to ask now that you're married and come up with a couple of good replies.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
ginger View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2007 at 11:31am
I just look at them and say ...Actually yes, we tried for a number of years to get pregnant, but we can't have children which is hearbreaking. We're doing IVf though and hoping for the best.

Usually shuts them up.
Cuinn Lachlan 23.1.09 - 22:00
Antonia Helene 4.8.11 - 09:41
ItchyFeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ItchyFeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2007 at 10:42pm
"Actually I prefer not to discuss the end result of my sex life"...
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2007 at 10:52pm
i dont think its rude and it dont think your a cow either!

it may be an insensitive question or a bit nosey if the person doesnt know you very well tho.

tibby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tibby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2007 at 11:29am
I am a midwife, so not only do l get asked frequently by colleagues but several times a day by women and their families! Occupational hazard l guess but still annoying.
Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2007 at 1:08pm

I think it's the sort of question that it's only OK for people close to you to ask about.  It's just rude of anyone else. 

Andie
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2007 at 8:46pm

I dont think its rude......I wouldnt mind if someone asked me. I mean people always want to know when new babies are gonna come along, babies are cute  But your definitly NOT being a cow! Everyone had different views on things

What I DO find rude is, people coming up and touching your tummy when you are pregnant! Grrr

Edited by Sheza

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>