FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNow what?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AzzaNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzzaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Now what?
    Posted: 18 September 2009 at 7:19pm
Hoping you ladies can tell me what happens from here.

I was 7 weeks pregnant and on tuesday my scan showed I was bleeding internally, baby was far smaller than should be and the heartbeat was very slow.

My HCG levels have been dropping. Midwife thinks I "miscarried" sometime soon after the scan.

But I have no external bleeding. I saw a doctor who was pretty unhelpful and said that unless I was hamehorraging they wouldnt do anything.

I have another HCG on Monday and scan on tuesday... how does it work? Do they schedule a D&C? How long do you wait?

How does the D&C work? Do you need any time off?

I'm trying to pull myself together but all I can think is that I am carrying a dead baby

http://intermittentblogger.wordpress.com
Sponsored Links

WestiesGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestiesGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2009 at 8:01pm
Aww Hugs hun Sorry to hear this.

I cant help with what happens in NZ but for how the D&C works is generally its you go under a GA and its over with pretty quickly. You will have period like cramping after the D&C and can generally go back to work straight away but may want a few days off to grieve and you will usually have baby blues around day 4.

Thinking of you
Our Angel July 08 Gone but not forgotten

And to complete our family, our princess has arrived
AzzaNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzzaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2009 at 8:03pm
thanks rianna, I'm very relieved it would be done under GA. I dont want to be awake for that.

lemongirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lemongirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2009 at 8:10pm
First of all Azza,
I'm so sorry miscarriage really sucks.

I managed to get all the way through to 13 weeks before I started bleeding with an 8 week fetus inside me so mine was effectively a missed miscarriage as if I hadn't been on holiday I would have found out at the 12 week scan.

With regards to your D&C:

I imagine that your midwife wants to re-confirm your levels are dropping and that the fetus has stopped growing.

After that she'll probably want to discuss treatment options with you and then book in for what you. You could wait out for a natural miscarriage or there is the option of a surgical D&C. I imagine that your midwife isn't t a huge hurry as yours has been picked up so early on so you may very well naturally miscarry over the weekend. But I can totally get that you'd want to get the physical process over to emtionally heal and wondering why they hell they are taking their sweet time.

D&Cs usually take a few days to schedule. They may give you a pill to start cramping and opening the cervix and then put you under and scrape you out. You will need to take two days off work at least for physical recovery, emotionally you might need a bit longer.

After the D&C you'll likely bleed for a week or so and then it will be over.

However I'm going to give you a warning: there is a small chance of having retained tissue after the D&C which could lead to a longer bleed and infection. I'm only giving the warning as I drew that short straw.

Be kind to yourself. I found the first few days the worst, and basically spent in bed crying. Try concentrating on getting through to the next meal (even though I didn't want to eat much) helped me get through the process.

Lots of cyber love coming your way.
lemongirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lemongirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2009 at 8:13pm
Oh I forgot to add you can ask for your baby to be returned to you after the procedure so perhaps you might want to plant it under a special tree.
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2009 at 9:04pm
hugs I'm sorry to hear this.. it took 5 days to schedule our DandC(we found out 4 weeks after bub had died) ....DH wanted to see bubs so they gave bubs to us in a container for him to look at then took away for testing..

i got put out to it and normally it's a few hours then home but i couldn't stop bleeding so had injection and then went home.. felt awful for a few days but mostly emotional i had little bleeding afterwards..

they tell you all about the procedure and call it an awful name:( (i wont go into detail unless you want me to)

I would say you havent mced yet if you have had no bleeding:(

hugs it all sucks so much and is so unfair:(
Mum to two amazing boys!
Lexidore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lexidore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2009 at 9:34pm
Hi Hun

Sorry I can't help with the D & C part of things I had a natural miscarriage, I do agree with Rianna though you may not need the time off physically but a miscarriage does mess with you emotions quite a bit so be aware of that when planning whether or not to take time off work.

Anyways just wanted to offer my condolences and big hugs hun if you need an ear feel free to PM me.

mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2009 at 10:19pm
Azza I am so sorry!

NSH EPU are fantastic. My scan confirmed my MC on the thursday, GP booked me into EPU on the friday and I was first on the list for a D&C on the Monday.

Your MW will refer you through to the hospital I believe and they can discuss with your options. You can wait to see if it happens naturally, take the pill that can bring it on or opt for a D&C.

I personally couldnt cope with knowing my baby was dead inside me and chose for a D&C straight up. I wanted to be numb, I didnt want to physically go through a MC if that makes sense.

Hugs and feel free to PM if you have any questions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2009 at 10:23pm
You will need the day of the procedure and the following day off physically and like bex and rianna said you will likely need the time off to recover emotionally.

AzzaNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzzaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2009 at 7:44am
Thank you for the responses and the support. I started to miscarry naturally last night which I thought would be quite distressing but I was actually relieved.

I've told my midwife I'll go for more HCG's on monday but I cant face the scan just yet. I'm far too emotional to sit in a waiting room full of pregnant people waiting to see my dead baby, kwim?

How do they tell if you've completely miscarried naturally? Will they need the scan for that?

I'm not sure how to face work right now. I got the news while in a meeting and went straight into ugly cry mode. I was sobbing so hard I couldn't see and no doubt my whole team is now wondering what the hells up. I cant afford to be away for long but I may ask for monday just so I can put it all off for one more day.

And how do I also support DH? He's been a pillar of strength through most of this but when I started to bleed last night he fell to pieces.

Edited by AzzaNZ

Lexidore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lexidore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2009 at 9:35am
When I miscarried naturally I woke up in the middle of the night in a lot of pain and didn't know what was happening so went into the hospital. I had no warning as such that I was going to miscarry so when I went into the hospital I spent a lot of time just waiting with noone wanting to tell me that I was miscarrying (though I knew KWIM?) At about 9am after getting there at 3:30am they had to take me for a scan to make sure that I had had a "complete" miscarriage, When they took me in they showed the screen and there wasn't anything left, Unfortunately this got quite upsetting when I got home and 'passed" the fetus later on the next day and that scared the crap out of me and got me even more upset. Sorry don't mean to scare you but I guess be prepared that it may happen. I was about 10 weeks when I miscarried.

I actually took a week off work because I was a complete mess, It had been a rollercoaster pregnancy of thinking I was going to miscarry a couple of times before this with bleeding throughout my whole pregnancy, take whatever time you feel you need because there is nothing worse than going back before you are ready and having something trigger those emotions.

The best thing I can offer as advice for supporting DH is just to be there for each other, You need to also be looking after yourself so just be aware of that, Work out with your DH how you can help each other through this and what you could maybe do for the memory of this bub, We named our bub and still talk about "her" to this day try to keep her memory alive, I have to say I probably wasn't the biggest help to DP at the time because I was such a mess but we found a way through it and although it is hard you will too.

Good luck hun! I'm thinking of you and your family right now , sending much love and hugs!

lemongirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lemongirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2009 at 10:00am
Hi azza,
I can't help with a natural miscarrriage.

But with regards to supporting DH, perhaps the best thing is that you acknowledge how important his efforts in helping you even if sometimes they might feel be a bit misguided.

Mine made the mistake of telling me that I needed to eat better and take better care of myself next time which I took to mean that I had caused it which sent off a huge torrent of tears but he was really saying that he wanted to help.
MB1970 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MB1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2009 at 10:35am
Hiya,
So sorry you're having to go through this also.

I too started to miscarry naturally yesterday - had a couple of hours of intense cramps and bleeding then seemed to ease off. Has started again this morning although not as intense. My story is a bit different to yours, as I had 11 wk scan after slight spotting and showed bub had stopped growing at 7 weeks. I decided to wait as wasn't fussed on having d&c. I would have been 15 weeks yesterday so it took 4 weeks for my body to catch on (I also had acupuncture to induce this week). I initially took a week off work mostly because I was an emotional write off - I think it's so important to take that time to grieve. I am now imagining i'll have to take Mon off if cramps haven't subsided, but will see how it goes.
I have a scan booked on Mon to see if all has come away - not sure if I have passed preg sac or not as mostly feels like lots of large clots.

I would recommend lots of talking and acknowledging your DH also. My bub's father and I have had a frought relationship so he's not around but have had a good friend here - just letting her know that it's nice not to be alone and that yes I'm bloody sad and hurting but having them here is helping. There is also a great miscarriage support website based in Auck that has some great info and a specal sections for partners.

Hope you're doing as ok as you can be. Take time out to recover physically and emotionally.

thinking of you
MaryBeth
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2009 at 11:23am
Originally posted by AzzaNZ AzzaNZ wrote:

Thank you for the responses and the support. I started to miscarry naturally last night which I thought would be quite distressing but I was actually relieved.

I've told my midwife I'll go for more HCG's on monday but I cant face the scan just yet. I'm far too emotional to sit in a waiting room full of pregnant people waiting to see my dead baby, kwim?

How do they tell if you've completely miscarried naturally? Will they need the scan for that?

I'm not sure how to face work right now. I got the news while in a meeting and went straight into ugly cry mode. I was sobbing so hard I couldn't see and no doubt my whole team is now wondering what the hells up. I cant afford to be away for long but I may ask for monday just so I can put it all off for one more day.

And how do I also support DH? He's been a pillar of strength through most of this but when I started to bleed last night he fell to pieces.

oh:( hugs hun.. it's so hard..my Dh never cries but he kept saying it's not fair and I just didn't know what to do..when we had our natural one he was a little better but it was just so hard..i guess just hug him and let him know you are there.. the first one we pulled away from each other which was hard:(

i am no expert but for me they sent me to the acute part of the hospital(so mostly with people having problems) and then down for a scan straight away (as it 5 days after i started bleeding due to the holidays ..with my natural) and they checked to make sure.

I guess with most people they can tell but no pain after a little while and bleeding stopping?I'm not sure.
Mum to two amazing boys!
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2009 at 11:25am
omg lemongirl that's awful of him:(

I had no pain and no clots... well a little tiny one at the end..so everyone different....my DandC was a far preferably experience to miscarrying naturally:(
Mum to two amazing boys!
Buttersmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buttersmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2009 at 4:47pm
Sorry to hear this news Azza. I miscarried naturally and I was only about 4 weeks or so so for me it wasn't too traumatic as far as being poked and proded or pain etc. I didn't have a scan following they just tracked my hcg levels down which took about 3 weeks.

Hard time for you and DH so thinking of you both

my little blobby April 09 "gone but will never be forgotten xx"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2009 at 7:30pm
Our DH's can get forgotten in this process. They feel that they have to be there for us and be strong.

Lots of cuddles and a big thank you for being the best DH in the world is what I did.

I am so sorry this has happened to you.

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2009 at 6:26am
I had a natural miscarriage and I never had any scans or hcgs done. GP just checked me over on the first day of bleeding and then told me danger signs to watch for, he phoned me the next day (a Friday) and made sure I had the emergency numbers for the weekend and asked some questions about the pain and bleeding.
I had had a scan the day before bleeding started which showed an empty pregnancy sac and I started bleeding when I was 6w 2d. I had had hcgs done before the scan as well which were far lower lower than they should be and not rising like they should.

Hopefully physically you will be feeling better soon, I found that the first two days were the worst with the cramping and then it was ok, my bleeding was never worse than a period just a bit more clotty.

It's hard with men cos often they want to fix the problem when this can't be fixed, I think just trying to be there for each other and also sometimes I find with my DH it helps if he has a task, so when he asked what I wanted/needed I asked for a wheatpack and for him to take Spencer off me so I could go to bed a for while.

AzzaNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzzaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2009 at 1:06pm
I'm bleeding a lot again and feeling a bit miserable today.

Does anyone know if you can use a mooncup when bleeding or do I have to keep using these uncomfortable pads?

I'm going for a last HCG test in the morning and then into work. I dont know how I feel about it - I would take a day off but if I need a D&C then I'll need a day then... it feels bad taking time off. Workaholic and all that.

DH's work sent us a big box of chocolates and a sympathy card signed by the whole team - so sweet of them! I dont think my colleagues even know whats happening.

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2009 at 1:30pm
You're not suppose to use tampons cos of the increased risk of infection (same as with postpartum bleeding) but I don't know if that would apply to a mooncup as well as they don't really work quite like a tampon do they?

I would see how you feel in the morning regarding work, I had two rough days pain wise and then I felt fine physically, so you might feel ok after today.
I can understand you wanting to go to work as well, I wasn't at work but I did just try to carry on as normal, even went to coffee group the day after, but probably shouldn't have cos I was in a lot of pain that day, but it was a good distraction.

That was lovely of your DH's work.

Good luck with the test tomorrow, hopefully everything is coming away naturally and you won't need a d&c as well.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>