FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAm I normal, or is there something wrong?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Am I normal, or is there something wrong?
    Posted: 07 July 2010 at 12:14am
I've been lurking in this section for quite a while, but never posted. It's made me think a lot though. I don't know if the way that I feel is normal feelings, or otherwise. I did the Edinburgh test and scored 15, but I think...nah I'm not depressed, what do I have to be depressed about. The girls sleep through the night, and always have done. They eat what they're supposed to, grow like they're supposed to, don't get sick much, we don't have many problems with teething - they're just, in general, really cruisy girls.....so why do I feel like this? I am so angry all the time, and on one hand I feel like they'd actually be better off without me, but on the other, hmmm... And I don't feel that "connected" to them...sure, they're gorgeous, and they're my kids, but they're just 2 more babies. I am not a "natural" mum, by any means, but the girls seem happy enough with me, and I seem to be their #1.

I have a full plate, I work part-time, and am studying full-time as well (although I have just failed my last 3 papers ) as well as looking after the girls and usually the house as well (and making all decisions for the girls, even if DH is looking after them). DH and I are having problems, or rather, I am having problems really, and single parenting may be an option in the future.

I dunno. Am I normal, are these feelings normal?? Sometimes I don't know.

Sorry, I had to finally get it out, because I'm not sure anymore.
Sponsored Links

Lexidore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lexidore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2010 at 12:51am
Hey hun

I can't offer a lot of advice but wanted to offer hugs! And an ear if you ever need to talk xo

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2010 at 8:24am

I know how you feel, I have been there. Next time you see me on FB hit me up and we can have a chat.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2010 at 9:05am
This is a lot like how I have been feeling lately. Just angry and pissed off and I have no idea why! I absolutely love my girl to bits but all of a sudden I feel like I've lost my connection and I don't know why

Like your girls, Lily is a cruisy girl. No problems really, although maybe my problems started when I had to start cutting stuff out of my diet in order to continue happily breastfeeding her...

I think feeling angry etc all the time is definitely taking it's toll on dp and I's relationship he keeps asking me why I feel like this and I have no answer!

Motherhood is everything I expected it to be, I knew there would be sleepless nights... I knew I wouldn't get that much me time. I guess what I never really factored in was the fact I would be stuck at home most of the time, and more so because I can't drive.

I don't know if these feelings are normal or not but I told my feb 10 girls and they thought possibly pnd and going to speak to my doctor so maybe that is a possibility for you too? I haven't gone yet because I keep putting it off in the hope something will change... But that hasn't happened yet...

I just don't get why all of a sudden I feel like this, 4 months down the track when the first 3 months were great, I was happy, smiling, laughing, playing with my baby happily... Knew all her needs... She's still happy so why have I changed?

Sorry to make it a me-me post.

ETA: Just did the test you mentioned above and scored 22.

Also, like you I think what do I have to be depressed about?

I may be young, but I was never like my friends - into heavy drinking and going out partying/clubbing. Sure I drink but not for fun or for getting smashed.

I did have mild depression as a teen, but I thought I had got over that...

Life is great, or so I thought. I have all the support I could ever need and then some. I'm not dirt poor, Lily never goes without... But what's missing?!

Edited by Lil_Nic9
LouD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2010 at 9:55am
have a quick look at my thread on SAD........its becoming quite apparent theres alot more sufferers than first thought, it could be you??
minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2010 at 9:58am
I did read it Lou, but I've been feeling this way for quite a while (as in, before autumn even)....just never said anything.

Nic - my girls are almost 11 months old now, and I've been feeling this way since they were about....4-5 months old??
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2010 at 10:04am
I don't think mine is seasonal either tbh.
escadachic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2010 at 10:08am
I almost tend to think with babies, there can be like a honeymoon period. Where everything is going well and all is fine and it seems to just flow and then reality just really hits and these feelings just pop up all of a sudden. I too have a well behaved baby, who sleeps well and is really easy. I so know about things affecting your relationship with DF/DH/DP. I often lately feel like he would be better off without me. I know he doesn't get how to deal with a depressed person. I know my 6 1/2 yr olds behaviour doesn't help though. So I'd say those feelings that you are feeling are normal enough, at least with us ladies on here. I guess maybe chat to your GP and see what he/she thinks.

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2010 at 1:36pm
i had a chat to my doc about mine and mine was PND but they can be just normal too..for me being stuck at home and not feeling in control and feeling guilty about not enjoying being at home like i thought i would all contributed.. with Ethan i was so in love with him but i would look at him and think oh that's right you are mine.. but i guess i was used to being slightly distant cause i looked after under 2's for a job too..

my relationship went downhill too partly cause DH was like..you arent depressed? and also cause he;s hard to communicate with.. I've read some of your posts about DH and I can see how that situation makes things much harder for you too.. we have begun spending time with just us when bub is asleep and trying hard to try to see things from each others point of view(which is hard)!!!

anyway i think the feelings can be normal but can also end in PND/depression so if you feel comfortable I would talk to your doc about it to see what they think...
Mum to two amazing boys!
coopersmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coopersmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2010 at 4:21pm
Hi ladies,
Just a quick note that might help you out.. The best thing I read while I was trying to figure out if I had PND was that alot of ladies mentioned once they accepted they had PND and were on meds, they felt soo much better, and didn't realise just how crap they were feeling till they were well again. That was my main motivation to get to the Dr and talk about it. Although I did book and cancel appt few times first, and changed GPs to see someone with a better understanding of meds and pnd its self.
Goodluck! And try not to feel too guilty about feeling this way with fantastic kids, I understand, haven't got anything to complain about here! Kids sleeping through, daytime sleeps, good behaviour but PND still lurks..
palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2010 at 6:04pm
I was similar in the fact i didnt think what i had was pnd because i 'didnt have it that bad' and i didnt seek help until DS was over a year. Once i was on the meds again (used to be on them pre baby) i realised that what i had been feeling wasnt normal as such and life was a lot better for everyone, even though i didnt think my actions were effecting anyone.
coopersmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coopersmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2010 at 6:14pm
Well said HUNTD... I think everyone thinks that!
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2010 at 6:19pm
yes very well said..it's nice to see we arent alone!
Mum to two amazing boys!
minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2010 at 11:07pm
Thanks ladies. I might have a chat to my GP and see what he thinks, even if he can help me come up with ways of dealing with life as it is at the moment.
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2010 at 10:20am
I didn't see my GP about PND until Jack was about 2.5yrs and I had PND pretty much from the start I think. I just felt so much better once I had talked with him.

I was initially opposed to going on meds and he arranged some counselling for me which I think really helped as I was able to work out why I felt the way I did. I have a need to do everything properly/correctly and Jack wasn't/isn't a text book baby and I struggled with trying to do everything the way I thought I should be doing it as he wouldn't co-operate. My expectations of how well I should be doing as a Mum weren't being met. There were a few others things behind it but the counselling helped me see that I was doing a good job and it didn't matter if it wasn't text book, it helped me relax and enjoy life more. Everyone commented on how much happier I seemed.

A few months later I did end up going on meds and that made things even better. I still have my bad days but bad days just like everyone else. My relationship with DH has been alot better as well as he bore the brunt of the PND (although it is being tested again as we have his parents staying with use for the week! )

I suppose what I am trying to say is that there are various reasons for having PND, not just having a 'difficult' child. Including the fact that you have a hell of a lot on your plate Minik8e!! That must make for a very busy time and stretching yourself pretty thin. I would suggest just going to see your Dr or calling MMH if you prefer. Have a chat to someone and I would suggest counselling as well as meds. I don't know about your relationship with your DH but you may find that getting this sorted may help it.

Good luck and there are heaps of us here to talk to, support and help!
Lindsey

LittleBug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2010 at 1:43pm
I'm in the same boat as those who didn't realise how bad it was until things got better on meds.

I also thought "what have I got to be depresed about?" and thought that because there was no good reason, then I must just need to suck it up. PND doesn't work like that though.

I think that it's probably more than just a "down patch" if it's been going on for months. If you just felt down for a week or so, then I would say give it more time... but since you've been feeling that way for a while, I would go and talk to your GP.

I found that being a mum was a lot more fun once the meds had kicked in (it's not instant, but a few months down the track) and now I am a totally different person, mood wise. I still have my bad days (doesn't everyone?) but I am coping.

Big hugs!
Chloe (4 years) and Oliver (3 years).
anon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2010 at 8:06pm
I haven't read through all the replies but your Edinburgh scores are quite high. There are heaps of factors as to why you get PND. Sometimes it has nothing to do with whether or not you have a cruisy baby. TBH - my baby is brilliant. He sleeps well and feeds pretty well and is pretty happy. We have a good connection. I did have major breastfeeding problems for the first 4-6wks but once I was through that it was cruisy. However, I had loads of risk factors (which I knew about before having DS):

- I have a history of depression and mental illness (depression) in one member of my family
- I had a very difficult labour
- I had stress during my pregnancy including a few health issues
- I had marital problems and still do
- I had financial problems and still do
- I had feeding problems
- Have very little support including family support
- I had a long period of baby blues - about a week and then I "made myself" stop crying

I also had the type of personality that puts me at risk of PND - likes to be in control of things, don't adapt well (ie. I fall apart a bit if Plan A doesn't work out...instead of going with the flow). So when my expectations weren't met I didn't cope well. Also I'm a big people person and love to be out - so I find it very difficult being at home with a baby a lot of the time.

Of course, there are other risk factors and some people have none of them and it's just the hormones that set them off.

You really don't have to have a difficult baby or a baby with reflux/colic etc. to have PND.

PND normally arises after the 3mth mark - and up to 2yrs after the birth. Often mothers don't pick up on it and the first few months is really just survival.

In your situation (both of you that mentioned high Edinburgh scale scores), I would speak to your GP and if you feel it's too early to go on medication, I would see a counsellor. I saw a counsellor first, but eventually I had to go to the GP because it just got worse.
hcsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hcsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2010 at 8:38pm
I scored 25.

But then I was thoroughly aware that I have PND. I've had it since DS was born (now 3) I had mitigating factors previously having depression, a LOT of stress during my pregnancy with him, financial stress, insomnia basically the whole shebang.

Now that DD is here, I'm thinking that I need to go and seriously talk to my doctor, I don't want to go to the one that I normally go to, I want to go to the other doctor in the practice lol.

I'm basically agoraphobic, I'm scared of people as well, it's not a nice combination.

But if it makes you feel any better, when you come down in september, I'll hunt you out and we can have a sob into our wine/beer at conference

And the night before if we can wrangle everyone else into a OB meet up too :)
minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2010 at 9:22pm
Tehehehe that sounds like a plan Huntersmummy!!! I am going down on the Friday too so it would be pretty cool!!!

I have risk factors newlywed, and we were a little aware of them...I have a history of depression, as do other members of my family. I had a very stressful pregnancy - not just because it was twins, but when I was 17w pregnant DH broke his leg and was off work for 4 months, yes he was on ACC but that doesn't pay so well, and I had to finish work at 28w because I couldn't walk due to SPD basically. That was on top of the GD, severe swelling and fluid retention and also severe heartburn which medication didn't help with. I then had premature labour, and my girls never BF (which I don't have a problem with, in the slightest).

I am going to ring and make an appointment with the doctor tomorrow, so will probably see him next week.
hcsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hcsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2010 at 9:49pm
Made a thread just for you

Thread for MiniK8e
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>