FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedco-sleeping: seven babies die

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: co-sleeping: seven babies die
    Posted: 10 December 2008 at 9:01am

Such a sad story: link

(The coroner) made no secret of his dissatisfaction that the practice of co-sleeping, and other "unsafe" sleeping practices, had not been discouraged enough. Officials and media sobbed as grieving mothers took the witness stand to tell the story of their babies' last hours... All mothers were young. All were Maori. All either slept with their babies or had slept them on their tummies or on pillows where they had been found face down or partly covered in a blanket. Each had stories about how their babies had been lovingly wrapped, tucked into bed, fed and kissed before they'd woken to find them dead several hours later.

At my antenatal class we were told that co-sleeping was absolutely fine as long as you weren't obese, drunk or on drugs. But according to this article "in some cases... none of those factors was present".

In the early days I occasionally co-slept with JJ, when he was going through a growth spurt or proving particularly difficult to settle. This story has me thanking my lucky stars!

(As an aside - check out some of the poor babies' names... I'm all for a bit of originality, but Yozahliyah? )

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
Sponsored Links

tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2008 at 9:08am
So sad!

And yeah we were told the same thing at our AN classes, (it was a very homebirth/holistic orientated class anyway)

We had to attend a Safety/first aid class before leaving NICU and they told us that co-sleeping was the no 1 cause of SIDS due to overheating.
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2008 at 9:20am
I co-slept with Isabelle when she was ickle .. just followed basic common sense (no blankets - she was wrapped) no pillows etc etc.

In fact in the hospital they stuck her in bed with me .. which I would have thought was worse as I was under the influence of powerful drugs!

Now she comes into our bed if she wakes at 5ish .. then she settles down till 7.

Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2008 at 9:26am
I wouldnt really call what we did co-sleeping as generally Tom was the only one getting sleep!  But I was paranoid about it and froze my arse off as I didnt use extra blankets on him, duvet was at about my knee level.  He was in his sleep sack and all pillows were moved off the bed.  Not ideal for a tired mum!  But it helped him no end (and was really lovely too)
Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2008 at 9:29am
I was the same, Lil fatty.

I often slept with Mac when he was little and wouldn't settle but was just really careful with blankets etc. As it was summer it wasn't too bad.

They also put mac in bed with me in hospital on night 2 when he wouldn't settle.

And he still sleeps in with us if he wake anytime from 4am and won't settle (although that hasn't happened in about a week, yah! he might be sleeping through finally)!

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2008 at 9:34am

That's so sad.

I do think the reporter (and possibly the coroner) is obviously against co-sleeping though as the article actually says not all the babies co-slept (some were sleeping on pillows - which we all know is dangerous) but the headline tells a different story.

I'm actually all for co-sleeping.  I wasn't always but my attitude changed when I had a baby that would only sleep for 45 mins day or night unless she was in my arms (having said that I'd prefer not to share my bed with anyone so this baby will start out in a basinette just as Michaela did and I hope it likes it in there).

Many people believe that co-sleeping can actually reduce the occurence of sids and co-sleeping is very common in non-western cultures but there are huge differences in the practice and also in the bedding used in western countries and I think the problem is that many westerners don't follow safe co-sleeping practices such as:

• Infants should sleep on their backs on firm, clean surfaces, in the absence of smoke, under light, comfortable blanketing, and their heads should never be covered.
  • The bed should not have any stuffed animals or pillows around the infant and an infant should never be placed to sleep on top of a pillow.
  • Infants should never sleep on couches or sofas, with or without adults, because they can slip down into the crevice or get wedged against the back of a couch. They also should not sleep on beanbags or waterbeds.
  • Avoid crevices between mattress and wall or mattress and side rail. Avoid side rails, headboards and footboards that have slats that could entrap your baby's head.
  • Infants 1 year old or younger should not sleep with other children.
  • Parents on sedatives, medications, drugs or who have consumed alcohol or those who are excessively unable to arouse because of sleep disorders should not co-sleep on the same surface with the infant. This is also true if your partner has or takes no responsibility for the baby.
  • Mothers with excessively long hair should tie it up to prevent infant entanglement around the infant's neck.
  • Extremely obese persons, who may not feel where exactly or how close their infant is, may wish to have the infant sleep alongside but on a different surface.
  • Avoid putting your bed near curtains or blinds that have dangling strings that could strangle your baby.
  •  

Basically we're given all these rules in AN classes about how cots should be set up to be safe and so if you choose to co-sleep with your child your bed should be set up in the same way (if that makes sense).

Those that intend to co-sleep might want to check out sites like this one: http://www.parenthood.com/article-topics/safe_co_sleeping_with_your_baby.html on safe co-sleeping.

Edited by MrsMojo
    CuriousG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuriousG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2008 at 11:05am
    My gripe is that in that article is says that of 54 infants, 24 died while sharing an adult bed.

So, 30 died in their own cot?

To me, that means it may actually be safer to share beds.

I am all for co sleeping, we have done it from pretty much day dot as she was so hard to settle and still do. The only reason we are about to stop it is that she is getting too big and it seems that DH and I have our "sides" and DD has her "half".

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2008 at 11:28am

Originally posted by CuriousG CuriousG wrote:

My gripe is that in that article is says that of 54 infants, 24 died while sharing an adult bed.

LOL, I hadn't read it that thoroughly - good point!

I am all for co sleeping, we have done it from pretty much day dot as she was so hard to settle and still do. The only reason we are about to stop it is that she is getting too big and it seems that DH and I have our "sides" and DD has her "half".

PMSL, same thing happens in our house when Michaela decides to come into bed with us.  She takes over my 1/2 and DH and I are restricted to his half.  Could be worse though, my sis and her husband often share their bed with 3 sons (7yo, 2yo and 1yo). 

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2008 at 11:31am
    And I was wondering how Im going to fit womble in .. DH might have to sleep on the floor!

Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
    AzzaNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzzaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2008 at 11:42am
    We always co-slept. It was the only way I could handle a baby who breastfed every 45 minutes.

This story scares me!
    MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2008 at 11:48am

Originally posted by lilfatty lilfatty wrote:

And I was wondering how Im going to fit womble in .. DH might have to sleep on the floor!

Master 7 gets a bed set up on the floor and Master 2 has a 3 sided cot pushed up against their bed.  Master 2 & 7 also have their own beds in their own room.

weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2008 at 12:37pm
    Interestingly, they have changed their headline now, must have had some complaints/feedback. The headline of the updated story is "Baby deaths spark call for better bedsharing warnings" which is much more objective.

When I was deciding whether or not to co-sleep I really liked this article from La Leche League:

Is it safe to sleep with your new baby? Of course. Imagine a cave woman laying her newborn in a separate niche in the cave for the night, well away from the warmth and protection of her body. Now that's unsafe sleeping!

It's also unsafe to have gaps that would allow your baby to slip between bed and wall, or between mattress and frame, or to lay your baby on poofy pillows, bedding, or mattress from which he can't free his face.

And it's not safe to sleep with a baby if you're severely obese, or have been drinking heavily or taking drugs that keep you from rousing normally.

There. That's out of the way. What's left? Adults who are never completely unconscious (or they'd fall out of bed), sleeping with a very lumpy object (with a head like a grapefruit-sized rock) that yells when it's squeezed. Works fine.

What do you gain? Normal breathing and heart rates for your baby, without the breathless periods so often observed in solitary-sleeping babies. Normal baby sleep - which does not mean long hours of deep, hard-to-rouse-from sleep, though that might seem desirable. An even body temperature, warmer and more stable than the most expensive hospital baby-warming unit can provide. A mellower baby at night, with far less crying. Safety from fire, kidnapping, and goblins. Lots of languid cuddle time.

You certainly gain vastly easier baby-care, especially if you learn to breastfeed lying down during the day, when your tolerance and inventiveness are intact.

Infant sleep researchers believe solitary sleep may be linked to higher rates of SIDS. This is a very difficult relationship to prove, since sleep arrangements change and since SIDS may have multiple causes. But we do know that many of the risk factors associated with SIDS are increased when babies sleep alone, and that cultures that share sleep tend to have low rates of SIDS. Shared sleep is as old as humankind, and small children crave it.

In the end the main reason we didn't co-sleep was that my husband couldn't sleep with our noisy bubba in the same room, let alone the same bed!

edit to update link

Edited by weegee

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
    MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2008 at 1:13pm

Originally posted by weegee weegee wrote:

In the end the main reason we didn't co-sleep was that my husband couldn't sleep with our noisy bubba in the same room, let alone the same bed!

My husband took to sleeping on the couch (although that was mostly because a. he was a smoker and b. he started taking sleeping pills so it was unsafe to have him in bed with her).

I'm glad they changed the headline.

CuriousG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuriousG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2008 at 2:55pm
    Safe from Goblins? PMSL!

That advice is really good. There is so much emphasis put on not co-sleeping!

caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2008 at 3:47pm
    I never had to co sleep with Caitlyn , one thing she always did as a baby was sleep well , and im far too selfish to share my bed with a baby (Im still trying to convince DF that I should have the bed and he sleep on the floor )
    but aside from that, what a sad article, I hope all the mums have a lot of support .

scribe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2008 at 10:38pm

But that would be assuming that 50% of families co-sleep. I think the amount would be a lot smaller, of the few people that I mentioned it to, all were shocked that we co-slept for a spell with Clara...

I was quite shocked by this story, as I'd read that co-sleeping was fairly safe as long as you weren't smokers etc. But I can see how it happens, when we co-slept with Clara we were both severely sleep deprived (we co-slept cos she just would not sleep in her bassinet)... and I think sleep deprivation can be as bad as going to sleep drunk - I'd like to think we would have been aware if we'd rolled onto her while asleep, but I just don't know, we were so exhausted.

I think co-sleeping is great for all the reasons outlined in the article Weegee posted, but I think there needs to be a little more warning about the risks, and people should be more careful in those hazy early days.

ETA: oops Weegee already posted link to new story

Edited by anakk
    CuriousG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuriousG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2008 at 7:40am
    I also read the actual article in the newspaper last night which highlighted exactly what these mothers found when they awoke. One woman was basically on top of her son. Now, when I was co sleeping, there was NO WAY I could have rolled over right on top of DD. I was so aware of her there, I put myself into a position with my arm up curled around her plus she was a big hard lump - I am pretty sure I would have noticed.

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2008 at 7:50am

I also read the actual article in the newspaper last night which highlighted exactly what these mothers found when they awoke.

I didn't read the article but DH said it also told of the sleeping practices of some of the parents for instance one of the mothers slept in a single bed with her 6wk old twins.

CuriousG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuriousG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2008 at 8:08am
    Originally posted by MrsMojo MrsMojo wrote:

I also read the actual article in the newspaper last night which highlighted exactly what these mothers found when they awoke.

I didn't read the article but DH said it also told of the sleeping practices of some of the parents for instance one of the mothers slept in a single bed with her 6wk old twins.

Yep. That was the one that found her baby boy UNDER her.

We sleep in a king bed.

caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2008 at 9:49am
    .a single bed with newborn twins?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>