FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFirst time IVF

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author
hoping View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First time IVF
    Posted: 06 June 2010 at 2:47pm
Hi everyone,

Started reading some of the other forums and started getting confused so thought I might start a new one!!
I am about to start my first cycle of IVF. I am very fortunate that we have a daughter who was concieved in the click of our fingers pretty much! But have now been told she was a miracle and we need science to help us grow our family.
I am really anxious/upset/sick of waiting/nervous/angry every emotion under the sun really. My H tries to talk to me but I shut down about it saying all is fine. Feel a bit lost really. Am wondering if there are others out there going through the same or similar situations??
Also, anyone been successful with just one round of IVF?? As I am so worried about how I will cope if it's not.
Look forward to talking.
Sponsored Links

fozziebear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fozziebear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2010 at 3:56pm
Hi hoping

I am going through my first IVF cycle as well. There are few us on the other forum who are going through the first time as well but it has been a blessing to have people on there too who have gone through it before to bounce questions off of.

I have a friend who has a lovely baby girl born Jan of this year off ivf and after her first go at it. So there is hope.

I am 10 days into my injections with my first blood test this week.

Good luck to you.

hoping View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2010 at 4:01pm
Thanks for your message fozziebear. I have been reading through the other forum also - is great to hear others experiences. I have an appoinment next week to learn about the injections etc. Best of luck for your cycle and hope all is going well for you :-)
oscarboo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oscarboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2010 at 7:54pm
We were luckly enough to have our little girl on our first cycle as well so there is hope.

All the best on your journey
2_ns_lol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_ns_lol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2010 at 2:47pm
Hi Hoping

I also am on my first IVF cycle. I'm on day 3 of Gonal-f. I have my first scan on Friday to see how things are going

I have found the ladies in the IVF forum to be very welcoming & have been great in answering any questions I've had. I have been in there for about 3 weeks now & have had great support from the ladies

Good luck for your upcoming cycle
TTC#1 since Aug 2006
Me: 27 + PCOS + DH: 38 + low morph
12 x Clomid cycles
4 x IUI
2 x IVF ICSI = BFP on 2nd round!
hoping View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2010 at 7:00pm
It is so great to have people to talk to - have kept everything bottled in until now as not sure how people will react etc. Oscarboo thank you for your feedback and that is so awesome for you guys!! Trying4no1 best of luck for your journey...I am still wating to be able to start and just wish it was underway now. How strict were you all with following rules?? I enjoy my daily coffee, not instant the real stuff, but am thinking I should totally give it away.....least of my concerns really I suppose!!
Leilani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leilani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2010 at 10:08am
Hi Hoping - I've just started my first IVF cycle, started taking the pill last Friday, hopefulluy will start with the injections in a couple of weeks. I wrote a massively long post int he long IVF thread.

I lurve coffee, when we first started TTC I switched from real to decaf (we got an espresso machine as a wedding pressie), and I really don't want to give it up. Have read that de-caf can be bad because of the chemicals, but I buy beans that have been water-treated rather than chemically treated, so hopefully this is fine. If I really have to, I'll give it up and switch to chai lattes - assuming they are fine!

Where are you?
sarahd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarahd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2010 at 10:30am
Hi Hoping

I too love coffee, and I have tried very hard to find evidence that coffee doesn't affect fertility.

However, everything I read comes out with "even a small amount of caffeine can affect fertility".

So whatever this means to you you need to feel OK with what you are doing to help your fertiity.

If i have the odd instant cup every second day I'm not going to stress, but I definitely wouldn't go for the espressos twice a day.
hoping View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2010 at 6:24pm
Hey Leilani and Sarahd,

Have been away for a few days and have just caught up in the other forum, and here.

Leilani - it sounds like we are doing similar methods, I am doing the pill and then injections too. Just waiting for day 1 to tick around.

And I've done the same Sarah, have read everything possible! Have decided to give it away for now as anything I can do to help has got to be good!!

Where are you guys?? I'm central NI.
Leilani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leilani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2010 at 7:09pm
I'm in Wellington - so super convenient for FA - I have to drive past it everyday on my way to and from work, which hopefully will be handy when I have to go for scans.

Do you have to travel far to go to appointments?
Tiff8ny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiff8ny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2010 at 8:36pm
Hi girls, just thought I would join this thread. I am from this month currently on the waiting list for IVF after 2 1/2 years of trying.
I am 29 and DH is 27 and we have gone to see Fertility Associates over a year ago. Got told we have unexplained fertility so tried clomidiphene and IUI treatments but all with no success.

Are you all on public funded IVF or private? How long did you have to wait on the waiting lists? I have been told that in auckland the waiting list is at least a good years wait. I am really hoping this year will go fast as I just want to get underway after not having any success of TTC for several years.
Me 32, DH 30
TTC 4+ years
Unexplained Infertility
IVF#1 - Chem Pregnancy,no frosties
IVF#2 - BFP!!!! Plus 1 frostie

Leilani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leilani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2010 at 8:47pm
Hi Tiff8ny - we are going privately for IVF, as we don't qualify to get on the waiting list until August and in Welly the current wqiting time is 11 months, meaning I'd be 39 at the earliest when aI had a baby. We weren't prepared to wait that long, our infertility stems from DH's low sperm count, so IVF is our only chance.
Tiff8ny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiff8ny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2010 at 9:04pm
Hi Leilani, thanks for the welcome Do you mind me asking how much you are paying for private IVF? We are considering whether we should pay for private or wait for our public funded IVF which prob wont happen until June next year! We are told that we are still young (29 & 27) so should wait for public funding, but if we can afford it I would love to get this IVF underway as we have been so frustrated over the past 2 years of TTC esp when we are told we have unexplained infertility.
All the best with your IVF, hopefully you get that baby you are hoping for these posts are really helpful in knowing what to expect when i eventually have IVF (fingers crossed it wont come to that though)
Me 32, DH 30
TTC 4+ years
Unexplained Infertility

Leilani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leilani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2010 at 9:12pm
We are doing a scheme where you pay for three rounds, and if unsuccessful you get 70% of your cash back, and it works out just a little bit more than paying as you go for 2 rounds of IVF. Because of my age and hubbies issue we need ICSI which adds about $2000 to the cost. If we conceive first time we've paid waaaaaay over the odds, but hey - we have a baby!

At Fertility Associates the estimated cost of a private regular IVF course is about $9000. Hope that helps - even if you don't go with them, check out their website, it's very up-front about the costs. - give yourself some time, there is a lot to read on their site.
Tiff8ny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiff8ny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2010 at 7:30am
thanks Leilani, I will check over their website to work out the costs. I guess if you get a baby at the end of it, who cares how much it costs aye!!
All the best for your IVF, keep us up to date with your journey and experiences
Me 32, DH 30
TTC 4+ years
Unexplained Infertility

Leilani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leilani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2010 at 9:15am
Thanks Tiff8ny - I don't know what I'd do in your shoes, as with unexplained infertility you must always be thinking - maybe this month. You do have age on your side, but then again you've been trying for a while - whatever you decide, it'll be the best decision.
Tiff8ny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiff8ny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2010 at 10:10am
Yes thats the most frustrating thing it being unexplained!! it could mean that it could happen any month, but your right we have been trying for 2 1/2 years and nothing yet, which makes me think there must be something wrong and that they havent picked it up.
We will have to start saving hard to get some money for IVF then decide I guess if we go private or wait for public.
I was hoping to have at least one child before I was 30 but sadly that doesnt look like its going to happen thats life i guess, it doesnt all go the way we planned it.
I thought I would get a letter from FA this month to say we are now on the waiting list, I must follow that up as I havent received one and hope they havent forgotten to put us on the list!
Me 32, DH 30
TTC 4+ years
Unexplained Infertility

hoping View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2010 at 12:18pm
Hey girls,

Leilani I'm going through FA as well, have come apts in Palmy but will be in Wgtn for main part as they don't do it in Palmy. I live about an hour out of Palmy. What's the payment plan you are doing? We have to do ICSI as well an are looking at $12k for our round. We have to wait another two years to qualify for public and just can't wait that long!!

Welcome Tiff8ny....it is hard knowing what to do. Is your man on the menevit supplement? That has got some good reviews.

We have our fingers crossed at the mo - my man went to an osteopath who told him his pelvis was totally out of wack and he fixed it all up and reckons that might be the reason for low sperm count as some nerves would have been crushed. So hubby is off for another test next week to see if there is any change - as we are very blessed to have one daughter who we concieved instantly. So we will see.....but in the meantime we are scheduled to start out IVF at the end of this month, but if there is a change in his count we are going to hold off for a couple of months I think......again so hard to know what to do!!

Hope everyone is having a good day
Tiff8ny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiff8ny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2010 at 12:36pm
Hi hoping,
Yes my man is on menevit supplement and I also take Elevit.
You are so lucky you already have a daughter who was conceived instantly. FX the pelvis being out of whack is the answer and you get to save the money by conceiving naturally again
Me 32, DH 30
TTC 4+ years
Unexplained Infertility

2_ns_lol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_ns_lol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2010 at 9:55pm
Hi Hoping - sorry for taking a while to get back to you... I'm in Auckland at Fertility Plus. I was fairly good with sticking to all the rules    In the Fertility Plus IVF Booklet it says the following about coffee:
CAFFEINE INTAKE
It is medically recommended that any women experiencing fertility problems should limit
their intake of caffeine to 100-130mg daily. An approximate average for one cup of
coffee is 100mg of caffeine. Tea, chocolate and some medications also contain caffeine.
Decaffeinated coffee should also be restricted, as the chemicals used in the process are
also potentially harmful.

Hope that helps. I used to be a coffee nut before IVF... still miss it a wee bit lol.

Hi Tiff8ny - glad to see you in this thread as well

Fozziebear - how are the injections going?

Had my first scan today see how I'm going. Apparently my follies are growing a wee bit slow but nothing to worry about. The best part was they could see 11 follicles all ranging from 6 to 8mm - for me that is awesome, on Clomiphene I was only ever able to get 1 so I'm personally stoked for 11 hehe
They have increased my buserelin to double what I've been taking so far & are getting me to have another scan on Monday to see how things are going - cant wait!

Hi to the rest of you ladies
TTC#1 since Aug 2006
Me: 27 + PCOS + DH: 38 + low morph
12 x Clomid cycles
4 x IUI
2 x IVF ICSI = BFP on 2nd round!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>