FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedYour Best & worst baby items questions..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
IVFGirl1111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IVFGirl1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your Best & worst baby items questions..
    Posted: 15 October 2008 at 9:43am
What are the things you just absolutly loved for your baby ie changetable, baby bath etc?

What were the things that were a waste of money?

Going back in time is there anything now you wish you had of brought?

TTC 6 years
IVF it is
IVF/ICSI round one
10 eggs, 8 mature, 3 fertilised BFN
IVF/ICSI #2 = 22 eggs!
20 mature, 15 fertilised, 1 fresh transfer and 2 frosties
BFN
2 Frosties still in freezer thank god
Sponsored Links

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2008 at 9:52am

What are the things you just absolutly loved for your baby ie changetable, baby bath etc?  I loved my change table my FIL made for me, meant I didn' ahve to get down on the floor straight after giving birth

What were the things that were a waste of money? Fancy burb cloths, an old fashion cloth square did the job

Going back in time is there anything now you wish you had of brought? For my next I am getting a hammock.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Neeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2008 at 9:55am
What are the things you just absolutly loved:

Cariboo Motion Sway Basinette - helped in teaching my little one to sleep through the night at an early age (as in 6 weeks old)

The baby bath, she hated the bl**dy thing and would scream as soon as she saw it.. so we ended up having to wash her hair in the sink, and sponge bathing her for the rest until she was a bit older/bigger to go in the big bath

Burp cloths - she wasn't a very spilly baby and whenever she did bring up a little bit, I just grabbed a cloth nappy

A change table - We've been changing her nappies and dressing her on the bed or floor and it's getting a bit old PLUS my back aches now that she's a bit more mobile and unwilling to sit still for long periods of time LOL

Edited by Neeks
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2008 at 10:42am

Wraps, they were bertini wraps and they were brilliant and cheap. And also my change table, got it for $20 on trademe and it lasted 13 months until Daniel started becoming a terror on it.

Polarfleece blankets, I didn't buy them but loads of people did

Dunno, I haven't found anything I needed
NeoshasMummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeoshasMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2008 at 10:44am
Love my change table, after having a c-section I found it great!!

Loved my matching PP patch outfits, Neosha was a spilly baby which ment she was permanently stuck in bibs so it was nice to have pretty ones that matched.

Loved my tommee tipee closer to nature bottles

Loved my Amby baby hammock

My rocker was a waste of time she HATED it with a passion, she also hated her jolly jumper and the exersaucer I have no idea why and I kept trying to get her to enjoy them as I spent so much money on them but she wasn't having a bar of it!

Next time we are having a Papasan cradle swing, a change table with the bath in the top if I end up going for another c-sect as before DP had to fill the bath and bring it over for me.

Mrs Te Kani ❤️
Neosha 26/5/2007
Snappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2008 at 12:04pm

Change Table, Cloth Naps (They have many uses!), Mountain Buggy , GO-GO sleeping Bag, wraps (i bought 2x pumpkin patch ones which were quite stretchy) And sillybillys bibs.

Definately the polar blankets for me too, I think I bought about 4? I only have used one of them for the buggy or on the floor.   My natures sway Baby sling (Only used it twice),

I started buying baby clothes when I was pregnant from the Pumpkin patch outlet online in bigger sizes. I wish I had of bought more, because hes grown out of everything! Oh, and I wish we had of bought our Go-Go bag earlier. It was on my wish list when i was pregnant, and we didnt buy it until he was 3 months old.   Im Glad we didnt buy a new basinette, Jackson only lasted 4 weeks in his basinette that we borrowed!
Mummy to two beauties... Formerly Kaiz.
katie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2008 at 12:58pm
Loved;
Mountain buggy, change table, angel care monitor, cloth nappies (flat square ones - used for EVERYTHING) go go sleeping bag, silly billy bibs once on solids

Didn;t use much:
Front pack and also polar fleese blankets which people gave us lots of.
IVFGirl1111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IVFGirl1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2008 at 1:13pm
What is a go go bag and sillybilly bibs?
TTC 6 years
IVF it is
IVF/ICSI round one
10 eggs, 8 mature, 3 fertilised BFN
IVF/ICSI #2 = 22 eggs!
20 mature, 15 fertilised, 1 fresh transfer and 2 frosties
BFN
2 Frosties still in freezer thank god
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2008 at 1:23pm

Go-go bag is a sleeping bag

Sillybilly bibs are great bibs that are lined at the back so stuff doesn't go through to the clothes.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
sadie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2008 at 2:08pm
LOVED
Ezee rocker basinette
Swaddleme wraps, and then go-go bags
Bouncinette - brilliant for parking in the bathroom so you can shower!
Flat cloth nappies
White noise CD
Decent playgym

Thought would be essentials, but haven't actually used much:
Jolly Jumper
Baby Bjorn

Waste of money:
Sangenic nappy bin
xLUCKYx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xLUCKYx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2008 at 2:19pm
LOVED
Baby bouncer - great for when having shower and cooking dinz
Playgym - floor mat thingy with toys
Exersaucer - again great to keep bubs in one place when trying to cook or do something
Breast Feeding pillow - MUST HAVE! So much better than an ordinary pillow and good to help prop baby up to sitting too when the time comes!

Thought would be essentials, but haven't actually used much:
Jolly Jumper - it's cool and fun but we just forgot about it all the time
Blankets - we had blanket overload too....
Change Table - borrowed one from a friend -didn't use much beyond the bath part and was good for storage - I used to mainly use the floor or bed for changes with a change matt underneath.

Waste of money:
Toys - hate to say as I love toys but you don't need heaps... not something to waste too much precious $$ on
MummyFreckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MummyFreckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2008 at 2:36pm

LOVED - MB Carry Cot / Mountain Buggy itself. Large muslin wraps that my mum made for us. Change Table. Front pack. Small wash cloths (we use these for so many things!) . Sangenic nappy bin. Safety Sleep. Avent sterilister / avent bottles. PlayGym & Mat. Bonds cotton vests from Kmart. Jolly Jumper. Exesaucer.

HAVENT USED MUCH - all the bottees that we were given (he hated wearing them and would squirm to try and kick them off). Blanket overload (lots of gifts of polar fleece ones - we only use natural fibres on his bed, so that occassionally get used in buggy and thats it). Peanut Sling - loved the concept, but he didnt like it when he was little and preferred to be in the front pack.

WASTE OF MONEY - Breastfeeding pillow (I couldnt get comfortable with it, so used a pillow instead).

NEXT TIME AROUND - would like to get a hammock, but not sure if we have room, so might just get nice bassinet.

caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2008 at 2:40pm
Hated my change table, big waste of $25 dollars that i could have spent on food and chocolate, my back was too sore to use it , it wasnt at the right height , they need to be at such a height that you dont have to bend at all .

Best thing, my jolly jumper, God i loved that thing, and luckily so did Caitlyn

BuzzyBee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuzzyBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2008 at 3:38pm
LOVED

*Exersaucer- Our entertainment from 6-9 months, he could have probably stayed in it longer but he was a big boy and could tip it over when he got hypo and jumped frantically. Great coz you know they're in the one place while you go off and do chores
*Jolly jumper - Lucas got a great work out with this, he basically lived in it from 3-6 months, was his fave time of the day.
*Tiny Love play gym with arches that go across and have the toys dangle down over bubs...
*Breastfeeding pillow - these were fantastic, never actually used it for breastfeeding but was great for propping bub up and aiding him to learn to sit on his own. Then as he got a bit older he relaxed back in it when watching tv or reading books etc

*Large Baby Bath- Lucas STILL has his baths in this and hes coming up 19 months, he kicks up a fuss if I try the big bath but he'll just have to get over that soon. At least we've been saving water...

Flat cloth nappies - came in handy for EVERYTHING

HATED/WASTE OF MONEY

Front pack- so impractical when you have a kid that weighs half a tonne....lol. Next time I'll be opting for a fancy sling and eating less during pregnancy

Breast Pump - I splashed out on a $250 electric breast pump. Only ever used it once when I had my tonsils out recently, otherwise its always been straight from the tit- thats what the good Lord gave em to us for lol

Deluxe Reclining Padded Highchair -Ugh the most impractical buy of them all, a total bitch to clean ....so bulky even when 'folded'. Downgraded to your simple foldout high chair and am still using it ...

Toys - We have nearly all the playskool and fisher price range, it's ridiculous. Half of them he doesn't even play with. Some toys are fantastic - just don't go overboard with them as they usually end up preferring adults stuff/things you find around the home...

3 Wheeler Pram - Steelcraft ....omg what a waste of money! Aside from being a fiddly piece of @#%* it didn't fit in my boot so I had to sell it after only one use, I only got 1/3 of what I originally paid.

DO NOT BUY A SANGENIC NAPPY WRAPPER BIN - complete waste of money ...and the refills cost an arm and a leg

THINGS I'D GET NEXT TIME AROUND

Well, toys certainly won't be on this list. I have enough to entertain a brood of 10 +

I quite like the look of those Moses Baskets (as opposed to a basinette or straight into the cot from birth ...)

I think next time around I will be much more cautious of what I buy and how much I spend etc ...we live and we learn. I definitely wont be buying half as much stuff though...

Single Mum to a darling wee boy of 3 years :)
BuzzyBee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuzzyBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2008 at 3:38pm
Holy ...I just wrote an essay there for ya
Single Mum to a darling wee boy of 3 years :)
Jay_R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay_R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2008 at 3:43pm
Loved: Change table with bath in it and shelving underneath; exersaucer; moses basket; flat cloth nappies; muslin wipes and bigger sized cloths; Angelcare monitor

Didn't need: Hmmm, nothing that we had really except perhaps the jolly jumper - exersaucer was far better.

Next time: MCN's!!
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2008 at 4:05pm
What are the things you just absolutly loved for your baby ie changetable, baby bath etc?
-changetable (folding so we can now put it away - can't keep him on there anymore)
-baby bath - still use it now, just sit him up in it if he needs a quick bath
-capsule - rear facing carseats with the tether straps going over are a PITA (we have one, you can get ones that are different though) and there's no way I would put a newborn in it as they'd be hard to get out.
- old fashioned cloth nappies for burping cloths (I can lend you some if you want )
-hats: winter and summer, all different sizes.
-bassinette - great for the early days
-a 2nd-hand breast pump- just sterilised heaps. Better than paying full price and worked fine.
-MCN's! So cheap and easy.

-polarfleece blankets that people bought. Can't put them on the bed so a waste. I have a whole wardrobe full of them (seriously have maybe 10-15?!)
-non-backed bibs - best to buy quality PUL backed ones so it doesn't soak through
-soft toys: people gave us so many, we probably have close to 40 of the suckers.

-more toys and clothes for later on. Everyone buys rattles etc but its at this age (9ish months) where you realise that everything's crappy and then you have to go spending with the little money you have.
-More flannellette sheet sets. We only have one set with the fitted bottom. The flat bottom is really annoying but now have single sheets too so will just use those and wrap round.
aussiegirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussiegirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2008 at 4:34pm

* baby bath * cloth nappies * BIBS, we go through about 5 everyday! * musical rocker - Hayley sits in it and it plays music, has flashing lights and swings
* playgym *baby Bjorn - Hayley is very nosy, so enjoys being able to see when we are out * snap n go wheels for the first couple of months, so easy just putting the capsule in it and off you go! * baby picture books, hayley loves them!

Have to agree about the polarfleece blankets. We have pretty much used everything else we have bought or been given

More MCNs when I had the money!

ETA: We were given a Sangenic Nappy bin - have hardly used it

We were also given a capsule WITHOUT a base, has been a total PITA, totally recommend a capsule that has a base!

Edited by aussiegirl
Mum to Hayley **30.6.08
BessieBear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BessieBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2008 at 4:36pm

~Swaddle me 
~mcn's
~silly billies and mum 2 mum bibs
~deff. my change table
~and for all 4 weeks i loved my avent breast pump cause the kid couldnt latch and i had the sorest boobies.
~i heart my paco mini musical

~the crappy bibs with velcro that get stuck to everything and dont suck up anything gunk just bounces off.
~stupid heavy bulky milano stroller.
~the thousand of booties, woollen hats and blankets ppl bort, they must think they are essentials.

~phil and teds sport, but im getting one next baby anyway.

Sarah Mum to,
Boy 07/2008, Girl 03/2010, Boy 05/2012, Angel 07/08/2014

Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2008 at 4:40pm

*I found the change table a LIFE SAVER after my C Section(I dont use it now though, floor is better and safer),

*Lots of flat cloth nappies, they have MANY uses

*Bassinet, meant I could have him right next to my side of the bed, easy for night feeds and popping the dummy back in his mouth without getting up lol

*His Hammock! Love it!!

*Swaddle Blankets

*Closer to Nature Bottles

*Breast Pump

*Bouncer

*Electric Swing(life saver!)

*Mozart Mobile(Synpany in Motion(sp?)

*Colourful Toys, he has heaps and we love them and it keeps in happy

*Books!

Sangenic nappy bin, too many newborn clothes, baby bath(sink way easier), too many blankets.

Nope not really

Edited by Mum2Caden

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>