FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedYoung Mothers???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
lenabeanz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lenabeanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Young Mothers???
    Posted: 29 September 2005 at 9:39pm
Hey guys,

Just wondering if their are any "young" mothers/dads out there.

I gave birth to my daughter 6 weeks before my 18th birthday. When I tell people my age they look down on me etc - even though I am not a "typical" teen mother.

I have been with my partner (and the father - who is 24) through out the whole "process" and we are also engaged - trying to set a date!! We are well set up and a happy family yet I am looked down on cause of my age (I am now 19)

Anyone has any problems with this?
Or what are your thoughts on teen pregnancy etc? (any opinons ok!! I wont take it to heart )
Sponsored Links

98765 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98765 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2005 at 10:06pm
I'm 19 my baby is due 6 days before my 20th.
A few of my friends weren't too nice. My friend who i grew up with made me feel real bad and he kept saying i was ruining my life and the babys life, I don't talk to him anymore.
Everyone else i have found seems to be OK or keep it to themselves.
My babys Dad is 23 and a few of his friends have kids so he doesn't hear much bad stuff and he is just really excited.
I think people are surprised because we both gave up smoking straight away and I don't go out much anymore.

www.jackkeith.blogspot.com
kella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2005 at 10:22pm
I don't think there is anything wrong with it so long as you are in a good stable relationship, which you are, I would have had kids at your age if I could have.

Honestly don't worry about what other people think because it doesn't matter, you will never be able to please everybody and there will always be someone who doesn't aprove, the only thing that matters is that you are happy and it sounds like you are, so good on you.
skirts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2005 at 8:39am
Good on ya, stuff what other people think! Some of the best parents I know had their children young, I dont think age is so much a factor as maturity, some people just dont want to accept their responsibilities no matter what their age! I know a forty year old woman who still treats her kids like s**t! And you'd think she'd have grown up but no she still acts like a silly little school girl!

So good on you, go out there and prove them wrong, society is all to quick to judge I say! I get it all the time, Im a solo mum and apparently I look young (im 24 but still get asked for id) so I get really frowned upon! But hey, I have a beautiful daughter who is in a stable environment, fed and happy and knows her mummy loves her and thats whats important!
lenabeanz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lenabeanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2005 at 9:34am
Yeah - I have noticed alot of nasty people out there, However life isn't perfect and you have to take on what comes at you.

rachaelcampagnolo - I have had my "best" friends not talk to me cause I couldn't go out all the time and now they don't bother to see me... what goes around comes around I say! I hope everything works out for you

skirts - I admire you for being able to be a single mum and proud of it, a few people I know who have broken up with their partners sit in a corner and sulk, it's good that you have set up the stable environment that your daughter needs and cherish's.

Kella - you have summed everything up perfectly!! People often say to me I have ruined my career life etc, Arna will be at school by the time I'm 23 - life is only beginning isnt it?
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2005 at 12:02pm
I was 21 when I got preg with Maya and she was born just after I turned 22. I got the whole "you're ruining your life" thing too as I was half way thru uni and my family didn't like my partner.

Now I'm 24, have a beautiful, healthy 2 1/2 year old, have graduated uni, am getting married in Oct 2006 and am working full time in my chosen career (which also involves a lot of travel so I am still getting to see the world). So I'm pretty sure having Maya didn't ruin my life.

And like you say Lena, I won't even be 40 when Maya turns 18, so I have plenty of time for living!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2005 at 12:07pm
Heya,
I'm a young mother and doing it solo. I'm part of the "bad" side of the statistics... one night stand gone horribly wrong. (Well... horribly until I got Hannah)

I had Hannah a month before I turned 20. I've only a had a few bad reactions, the one in particular was an older couple who were family friends. They were really anti about me continuing with the pregnancy as they thought it would end my life. I just see it as a challenge. I'm still finishing my degree in the same amount of time had I not got pregnant and am still getting alright grades, averaging a B at the moment. Could do better but unfortunately I leave everything to the last minute!

And now I've got a fun happy kidlet and a degree to show for my last three years work! Definitely a lot more satisfying than only a piece of paper!

To be honest, I did expect to get a lot more crap for being such a young mum, but as soon as I get talking to someone they realise that there is much more to the story than "single teenage mother". And to be honest, I think I'm coping a lot better than some of the "stable" mothers I hear of out there! Kinda helps being on this site, where people have their own views but never try and push anything on you. Everyone is so accepting of all situations!
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2005 at 1:58pm
I'm 23 and having my first (so not that young) but some people at my work when I first told them thought I was ruining my career etc and thought I was a bit nuts cos I dont want to go overseas, but have babies instead! My nan still thinks this baby is an accident (it isnt!) and we are too young! My sister is 36 and has only just started her family, and I dont feel she is in any better position than I am now (I am married and own my own home etc) and I dont think that her being older will make her a better mum. I am much happier having babies now and living a bit more when I am 40 and they leave home, then around the other way.
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
angel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2005 at 5:04pm
I was 19 when I got pregnant with Ella and 20 when she was born. A few times I got asked if the pregnancy was planned - and I said yes, because it was. Hubby and I got married just before I turned 19, now I am nearly 22 (our 3rd wedding anniversary on the 5th!!) and he is 26 - planning for #2.

I havent been frowned at - well I dont think I have, if I have been I certainly didnt notice... and frankly... those people can get stuffed because this is OUR lives, not theirs!
Aimee
Ella - 5.5 years old!
Toby - nearly 3 years old!
toniellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toniellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2005 at 5:52pm
Hi there. I was 19 when Alex was conceive, 20 when he was born. I am living my life the way I had planned and loving it. Alex was part of that plan and my fiancee & I have both agreed that we can't imagine life without him now. Now I'm planning for baby no.2 and life couldn't be better.
I've had some very bad reactions including my stepfather-in-law telling me "You'd better get rid of it then". It's awful when people judge you. Thats not even a strong enough word for it.
Chin up & congrats to everyone. Being a mum is the best
Mum to Alex (11), Blaire (10) & Erika (8) and Damien (6)

Successful HWB VBA2Cs!
Soon to be surrogate
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2005 at 8:05pm
YAYAY Emma and Nikki. I had the same, BOTH times.... "oh that's a shame, what about your nursing?" why would anyone think that when you tell them you are pregnant you would want them to say "oh, and are you HAPPY about that?" well, here i am. 2 kids, studying full time, and ihaven't given up, if anything my girls give me even more reason to haul myself out of bed every day in the wee hours of the morn, drop them at daycare by 8, sit in class till 5 and do it all again the next day.   Having kids doesn't ruin your life, it enriches it.

Edited by mum2paris
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2005 at 10:38pm
i'm going back to study for my grad-dip in teaching.....bit nervous about studying with two youngins, but have great family support. I kinda understand the thought that having kids cahnges everything as I thought the same way before I had jake...oh no, what have i done, my life will be completely different, and it is, but in a good way!
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2005 at 4:46pm
Are you finishing uni this year Nikki?
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
kella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2005 at 10:53pm
I got married when I was 19 and I had my inlaws expecting us to have kids straight away, my father however was totally against it and still is so he doesn't know that we are trying.

I am now 24 and we have been trying off and on since we got married, we are coming up for our 5th wedding anneversary and have had soooo many people asking us when we are going to have kids, its to know what to say sometimes.

Most of my friends have all had babies really young and I have just seen it as a great opportunty to be there for them (which is what good friends do) and I love there babies so much I get so much pleasure from them, I'm happy for them and they have all done so well.

So keep up the good work and enjoy what you have.
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2005 at 1:55am
wow. my dad was asking and pressuring us into when we were going to have kids.    I finally said to him "well it's not too loate for you and (step-mum)." she said "over my dead body|" and the conversation died a natural death.....then six months later, along came Jake!
preggy_sunflower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote preggy_sunflower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2005 at 12:57pm
Well, I'm the old nana of the group by the sounds of things - I'm 31 and this is my first, and I wonder at times what the heck I am doing having a sprog! I think you young'ins are all incredibly strong young women to be doing the baby thing at your age. When I was in my late teens/early 20's I was far too selfish and self centred to even keep a boyfriend for longer than 6 months, let alone have a baby. But I've had a great time in my 20's - spent most of it living in London and New York, I have a double degree, a wonderful man, a lovely home and a great job - now it's time to do the really grown up thing and have a baby!! You guys just beat me to growing up I think!! When I was a teenager I had a good friend at school who got pregnant when we were in the 6th Form, and had her beautiful daughter when she should have been in 7th Form. She was so brave and strong, and I was so proud of her. She is an amazing mother, and has raised a caring, polite, intelligent daughter. She now has her nursing degree, her daughter is at College, and she's now planning her big trip to Europe. Round a different way to me, but no less meaningful. I say, you girls rock!! Good luck with what your future, and your babies will bring you!!
Joshua Hadynn - Born 3 May 2006
Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2005 at 1:38pm
I am 27 and having my first....I would have loved children earlier tho...but I was not married.....(my parents would have killed me if I had a kid out of wedlock)....and so 5 and 1/2 years after we started going out we got married....then my hubby said he was not ready to be a dad yet....no point in having kids if you are both not ready....so we travelled and had our fun.

We have been married for nearly 3 and 1/2 years now and we are both ready and excited....this is our life...no regrets!

My mum was married at 18 and had me at 19...she said it was tough but she would not change it for the world...she will be a gran at 47.....she is over the moon!....that was/is her life....no regrets!

My point after all that blah blah is that....you have your life and you make decisions that suits you best...you make your mistakes and learn from them...never compare your life to some one elses.....I feel proud that you young mums are so strong and have taken up this big responsibility....Good on you!!!

Huckybabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huckybabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2005 at 9:57am
I had my first (and only so far) little boy when i was 20 (made it by a few months) and actually wished i had been a little younger!

It seemed at the time that there are a lot of groups catering to younger ie teenage mothers from 15-18/19 and for the older mothers around 25/30+ but nothing in between. I gave several groups a try but didnt seem to find any supportive ones. Didn't help being new to the area. (upper hutt area)

Still I am 22 now and everyone wants to know about number two, even my partner lol, but i am still keen to hold off a while.
newmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2005 at 9:59am
Hi and welcome Huckybabe!!

Tami View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2005 at 5:09pm
i think i would have to be the youngest on this site.im only 14 and my little boy is 3 months.i dnt really care bout my age the only thing that suxz is that i get nothing from the govement..but im still in school at a teen parent unit and its really cool..i dont think age really matters as long as u grow up.and you shouldnt be ashamed you got a baby on the way or already here..i no its hard but try not to listen to people that get smart to you about your age.or if you can.then think of a smart comeback to say to people like that
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>