FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedYou’ll just know

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: You’ll just know
    Posted: 28 February 2011 at 6:31pm
What is it with women and that phrase? You'll just know when you're in labour etc. This time it's you'll just know when you're family is complete. Is it really that airy-fairy? Is it based on cold hard facts like time, energy, finances or is there really an instinct factor to it?

We've just had #5 and one of these days I'm gonna be faced with the decision of whether to have any more kids. I'm really on the fence about it. There's no physical reason for me to stop, like my body is still quite capable of going thru another pregnancy. I think the biggest factor will probably be how much time we have to spread amongst the 5+ kids. But I know of plenty of families with more than 5.

How did you decide?
Sponsored Links

myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by busymum busymum wrote:

This time it's you'll just know when you're family is complete.

I have always wondered about that as well. We are TTC #3 but how will I 'just know' that 3 is enough or not enough. It sounds airy-fairy to me!
Lindsey

gypsynita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gypsynita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 6:38pm
I knew within weeks of having my 2nd that I wanted another one... but whether I'll "just" know when to stop I'll have to wait and see!
Anita
Mum to Cian (Aug 08), Josh (Jun 10)

kiwi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 6:48pm
We just knew

No after our third we didn't try but we didn't not try for a bit and it didn't happen and then our priorities changed. I decided to get back into study and we just felt that we are ok with what we have. I think the biggest factor was the oldest hit teenage years and the attitude that goes with that completely put us off going thru it anymore than we have to.

If you are on the fence then you haven't finished.
mumoftwins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumoftwins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 7:27pm
I thought I was finished after #3.....even asked to have my tubes tied during the c-section! The OB asked us both if we were absolutely sure we wanted no more, and we both hesitated......so it wasn't done. We now have four children, we planned #4.....I just had this "someone is missing" feeling.
As soon as I got a BFP I "just knew" this was our last baby....no doubt about it. Tubes were tied when she was born and I have absolutely no regrets, and I feel our family is complete!!
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 7:47pm
there's a good question - did your DH also just know, or was there differences of opinion to resolve?
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 7:57pm
I was happy with our family of three the week after DD was born like we were finally a family and more than a couple.
Now I think I can do one more, but certainly no more than that.
For me age is a factor as I don't want to be pregnant at 40.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
mumoftwins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumoftwins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by busymum busymum wrote:

there's a good question - did your DH also just know, or was there differences of opinion to resolve?

He was happy with 3, but when I said I wanted another he was happy with that too! He feels the family is complete now too.....he said ultimately the decision to have #4 was up to me as I was the one pregnant, breastfeeding, doing the bulk of the day-to-day child care...but he was happy either way
rachelsea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 8:17pm
That is a tough one. I *say* we're definitely only having two kids, but I don't *feel* like our family is complete yet. But I definitely know I don't want to think about having a #3 till #2 is over 3yrs old as there are things we want to do in the mean time. Maybe that'll change once #2 is actually here and I'll feel like our family is complete, but maybe not?! Haven't spoken to DH about this though - He keeps asking "are you sure we can handle two kids?" And I say "well this one is coming whether you like it or not!" so I'm thinking two will be enough for him
DD 4yrs
DS 2yrs

tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 8:26pm
Well for me I fast forward 10-15 years and think about what I want my family to be. Not just numbers but also what I want to be able to provide for them.

For now what we deem is important to us is only really feasible with 2 kids. Luckily time is on my side so I have time to change my mind

The only reason I currently feel like I'm not finished is because I feel like I cheated the system and got 2 for 1
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 8:43pm
I certainly 'just know' that i'm done now with my one, the problem is convincing everyone else that its not just trauma from a recent pregnancy and birth and newborn care! The laughing reaction that statement gets from everyone (You'll change your mind, they all say that, i said that after my first etc) make me want to second guess myself, but no, i'm done.

floss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 8:49pm
Before we had kids we only wanted 2, but then as fate decided that we needed 3 we were happy. Now though I look at all my friends having more kids and would love another one, partly because I felt a bit ripped off that we never got the choice to have a 3rd or not.

However I know that I could only ever handle 3 for myself and even that is a struggle sometimes, maybe it would be different if they were 3 different ages im not sure.

Altho hubby got fixed after the twins were born so no more kiddies for us now!
My beautiful big girl Sienna 15.04.06

Double the trouble double the fun Noah & Lola 10/11/07
Manda08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manda08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 9:09pm
Intersting, i have always only wanted 2 kids, i want to be able to do the fun things with them like take them over seas etc, so when i got my BFP with this one i knew it was the last time i would ever get one, and just through the whole pregnancy im like well this is the last time, when we found out it was another boy people said you will have another you need to have a girl. Well actually im perfectly happy with 2 boys, and thats what will be, there wont be a 3rd, i have told DP once this baby is born and healthy hes off for the snip! Apparently im too young for my tubes to be tied...

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 9:22pm
I did just know. We both only ever wanted 2 kids (mainly because once you hit 3, you need to upsize and with our 2 mediocre incomes we wouldn't be able to provide them with what we wanted to and do what we wanted to do), and while I was quite sad when Ava was a baby that she was my last one (because Jack had been ill, then she was a screaming reflux baby and I wanted to enjoy my last baby) but as soon as she started outgrowing stuff, it was sold! It was a great feeling to move on to the next stage.
tictacjunkie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tictacjunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 10:07pm
Jolly good question, one that we're facing now ourselves.
For me I am torn, I don't feel like we're finished, and DH would really like more, we're comfortable financially on one income now, & when they're older I'll return to workforce as well. Age isn't an issue yet either, I'm 28, DH is 32. But I'd like the freedom to be able to cart one of them off on a working holiday building schools in Nicaragua for example, I can't do that if I've still got toddlers at home. I wonder if I don't feel finished yet because of some inbuilt biological thing, hormones ruling your emotions and all. I'd quite like to feel finished at the moment, but there is that niggling doubt. I would be glad to know how you know to be honest!
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by Manda08 Manda08 wrote:

i have told DP once this baby is born and healthy hes off for the snip! Apparently im too young for my tubes to be tied...

What's too young? LOL and is there a Is your DP much older than you or is there no such thing as 'too young' for guys?

Despite having 5 kids, we're pretty young as well. It's funny to think that we could have a 5-10yr break and then still have more!! We're 28 & 30

Edited by busymum
LouD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by Manda08 Manda08 wrote:

Intersting, i have always only wanted 2 kids, i want to be able to do the fun things with them like take them over seas etc, so when i got my BFP with this one i knew it was the last time i would ever get one, and just through the whole pregnancy im like well this is the last time, when we found out it was another boy people said you will have another you need to have a girl. Well actually im perfectly happy with 2 boys, and thats what will be, there wont be a 3rd, i have told DP once this baby is born and healthy hes off for the snip! Apparently im too young for my tubes to be tied...

Thats funny cos I too went through my whole pregnancy saying the same thing and even after havng him I maintained that for a few weeks but then that niggling started....i have 3 boys, altho one is a teenager and lives with his dad so I only have 2 boys at home.......Its funny cos the OB said that when he asked if i wanted my tubes tied and when I said NO he said I will end up having another then......i was soooooo mad at him for making that assumption.....but LOL he must know what hes talking about.
I honestly thought I was done!!!!!! but now I know Im not and not for a girl (well a weeny bit to try for girl) but mostly cos I see my family bigger in the future by another ONE.....

Not that Im saying you will change your mind but you sounded like me, i was super adamant!!
LouD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 10:27pm
And I cant bring myself to sell ANYTHING....and we are having a garage sale and DH wants to get rid of it all......but Im very reluctant
escadachic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 10:43pm
I remember after 1, I said, never again! But by the time she was 6 months old, I was like, ok, maybe 1 more, but no more then that. I had number 2, with the thought that this will be my last. And I was quite adamant about that. Now, I'm not sure either way. I hear going from 1 to 2 kids, is a big shock. But once you've got that sorted, going for 2 to 3 isn't so bad. Now that I can handle being a mum to 2, I've wondering if I could handle another. Financially right now, no. We'll see. I worry about the reoccurence of PND though. As I fear I could get it again and much worse. It is a big fear of mine, as only 12 months later, am I only just getting better.

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2011 at 10:42am
We've been discussing this a lot here, while we only have one and would be completely happy just having one we would be more than happy to have another should we fall pregnant again (we aren't TTC but are thinking about trying maybe end of next year or year after)... DP has always said 2 is his max and he doesn't want anymore, I've bought up but what if I want more... So we've come to the agreement that at the time we'll just see how things are and see what happens. It's kinda scary deciding no more as well as thinking one more iygwim!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>