FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOctober 07 babies!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 802>
Author
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2007 at 8:09pm
Awesome news!!!! Congratulations Kabe!!! Eva is such a pretty name
A very lucky mummy to two gorgeous boys:
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
Sponsored Links

MummyFreckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MummyFreckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2007 at 2:31pm

I guess I should be joining this group now!! That feels a bit strange!

We are finally home from Birthcare after 4 nights - they really were fantastic, and it was awesome to have DH staying with me the whole time. Somehow we ended up with a double room, so it was a bit like a hotel but with a lot of support!

We have had problems establishing feeding, Oliver wont latch onto my Right side really, and gets quite distressed trying, so we are really only feeding from the left at the moment. We are expressing from both sides and using the little bit of EBM to top him up and if he is still hungry we are topping up with formula. I dont think my milk has really come in properly yet, so hopefully its going to get a lot easier! At the moment its taking 10mins to expresss 10mls and can feel pretty de-moralising! Please tell me it gets easier!

We have only been home for a few hours and he has slept the whole time- thank goodness, as I feel quite overwhelmed by the thought that we are now "on our own" and am really quite nervous! Still DH is being FANTASTIC - I dont know what I would do without him.

sunnyhoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunnyhoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2007 at 3:52pm
Congratulations Sim Sam!
It's nice to be home isn't it. I don't know if it gets easier but I think you get better at dealing with things. We had problems feeding too and I am also expressing. Hang in there!
I can't believe Joy is 4 weeks old this Thursday!! Where has the time gone. I feel like I will blink and she will be 20 already. She has caught DH's cold - poor bubba. One very snotty nose makes for a grump baby. Just as well I read some tips on here yesterday, this is such a great site.
Mum to:
Joy Emily 1.05am 27/09/07 7lb 3oz
Austin Paul 12.47pm 18/04/10 10lb 8oz
kabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2007 at 5:53pm
Here are some pics of Eva.

NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2007 at 8:25pm
Congrats Simsam Hang in there, I'm sure things only get easier

Kabe, Eva is so cute

Doesn't it make the world of difference having a supportive husband? Mine has been fantastic, I really don't know how people cope on their own.

Sunnyhoney, Rex also caught a cold (from me!!!!). Poor little man. He has been sick for about a week. He is a lot better now though, but it was really hard trying to deal with him and a cold. It really has screwed up his sleeping pattern. Only seems to be sleeping for 2 hours at a time lately, very very tiring Fingers crossed he starts sleeping for longer periods.

Hope everyone is recovering well
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
BabyOnBoard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyOnBoard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2007 at 10:02pm
Kabe 0 what a cutie Eva is!!

NikkiB - Hope ev everything works out with Rex.

Think Arabella might be getting a cold, her breathing is a wee bit rattley (sp?) at night. Midwife said keep an eye on it.

She is 8lb 11oz now! People say shes so little but for me compared to her 7lb 5oz birth weight shes huge!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunnyhoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2007 at 3:02pm
I agree on the supportive husbands. I would have been a complete mess if it wasn't for my DH. Even today he was encouraging me via txt with feeding problems. He deserves a medal or something.
I have no idea how single parents cope!! It must be very tough.
Mum to:
susieq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote susieq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2007 at 3:47pm
Eva is a little cutie Kabe
kabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2007 at 4:05pm
Thanks everyone. We think she's pretty cute

Sunnyhoney, I'm really struggling with the breast feeding. I'm just finding it so very painful and dread each feed. My nipples are so sore I'm guessing it's because they're getting use to feeding, but also because I incorrectly detached Eva a few times and they're still recovering.

For those of you breast feeding the pain eventually ease up??

DH has been wonderful. We had a shocker of a night last night, with Eva awake and tearful from 11pm - 2.30am. He helped out as much as he could, despite having to go back to work today. I think it was because my milk had just come through and she had over eaten, but still though she was hungry (what mw told me!). My first day home alone has gone pretty well.

How are you getting on Simsam?

NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2007 at 4:54pm
Why is feeding so painful when its so natural? Humm...I guess the same could be said about labour????

I'm very lucky, I've only got one sore nipple, but I find the pain is a lot better if Rex latches on properly. Just remember, you are both learning, I'm sure it can only get better!

Well, I survived my first coffee group this morning! It was so nice to get out of the house and have a hot chocolate for once!!! Rex was a little angel And it looks like I've found myself a walking buddy
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
KateW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KateW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2007 at 5:31pm
Hi ladies
Im back!
How are we all doing? congrats all new mummies!

What a crazy past few days Zoe has a heart mermour sp? so whe have spent the last week in hospital but both girls are home now and doing well. Zoe will have to have an op tho, not looking forward to that. BFing is going well for us 1/2 boobie 1/2 bottle. hope it gets better for you soon Nikki.
~Our miracle IVF babies~

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyOnBoard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2007 at 6:24pm
My cousin made a very valid point - how can breast feeding be easy and natural when you don't have someone sucking of there every other day. I think it's definatley a learned thing in our society today.

Kabe - The pain does go away and everything heals well but the minute bubba isn't on properly you know. Sadly Arabella doesn't like to latch well she just wants milk asap, but then I'm still practising and learning. .
monster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2007 at 7:50pm
Well I guess I join here now!

We came home from the hospital yesterday and our first night went really well (a nice change from the last two sleepless nights).

Talamahina (we just call him Tala) is super cute (I know I'm biased) and at the moment he seems to be following quite a predictable pattern - not time-wise, but ordered - feed, change, feed, sleep. I'm not holding my breath though, I know it'll change all the time.

Breastfeeding is going well - I just keep an eye on the latch and correct it if it hurts. I'm using Lansinoh and finding that as long as they're kept soft, all is well.    

I hope everyone else is doing well - it's really handy to hear what you're going through just before I have to go through it myself.
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2007 at 8:24pm
KateW, I find its full on with one baby, how is it with two??

Once again, I think this forum will be extremely handy - knowing what we are going through is 'normal'
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
manz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2007 at 9:37pm
Hi ladies, thought I'd see what was going on in here, it's very quiet in the other thread now! Just making sure you know Peachy will be joining you soon, Lauren Jean born via emergency c-section 3.15pm 21/10!!
Managed with only gas until the very end! Both are well.

I'm still waiting....was due yesterday
Your babies are gorgeous, I can't wait to meet mine!!

Congratulations to you all!!

MummyFreckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MummyFreckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2007 at 9:58am

We are still struggling with the breastfeeding (I think half of it is emotional with me!!), I seem to have put a huge amount of pressure on myself to "get it right", and end up in a right state when I dont. Have been having lots of tearful moments where I feel like a huge failure, because the birth didnt go to plan and now I cant feed properly. I know its stupid, but its just how I feel at the moment!

We are feeding primarily from the right breast, he doesnt seem to want to latch on to the left at all and gets grizzley really quickly. He feeds to 35mins on the right (mw said not to leave him on for longer than that) and then we are topping him up with formula as well. He is a great sleeper though - once his tummy is full! This morning he slept from 3.30 - 8.30, so we are starting to feel almost human.

We are going to see the lactation consultant tomorrow, so hopefully she can help. I really dont want to continue with the formula, but at the end of the day so long as Ollie is happy and healthy I will do whatever I need to do.

We are going on our first outing today to have lunch with my grandparents, truth is I am terrified, but I survived the afternoon at home yesterday with DH at work, so am sure we can do this!

Kabe - Eva is beautiful, so gorgeous! Well Done! Wonder how Peachy is getting on?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunnyhoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2007 at 12:20pm
Kabe hang in there. I think it gets better after a while. Expressing is no worse as I get sore nipples from the pump as well. Purelan works great when I remember to put some on!!

Is anyone going to the parent & child show this weekend?
Mum to:
kabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2007 at 1:18pm
My nipples are feeling quite alot better today (what a weird thing to be talking about, but this whole experience has been unusual, lol)! Managed my first day at home alone yesterday and have just done my first outing alone with Eva to coffee group. It's funny how little things like that are such an achievement these days!

MW visit this morning was really good. Eva has put on a good amount of weight already, so I was worrying needlessly that she wasn't getting enough to eat. Infact, some of the problems I've had with her sleeping at night are likely to be due to her over eating. Have got some new strategies and feeding positions to try.

SimSam, I've had some moments of being really overwhelmed with BFing and being over tired and sore. I think we just need to cut our selves some slack and remind ourselves that this is all new and we're doing a great job.

Anyway, I'm off to bed as I've been up since 4.45am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyOnBoard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2007 at 1:34pm
Kabe, if you don't mind me asking - what strategies did you get given because I think Arabellas problems could be because she over feeds. .
kabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2007 at 3:52pm
BabyOnBoard, my Mw suggested doing shorter bursts of feeding with severl breaks, to allow baby to register she's full.

So for example, putting her to the breast for 4-5 minutes only, taking her off for two minutes (and changing her position to wind her - over shoulder, sitting on lap etc). Then putting her back on the same breast. She suggested doing this for 3 or 4 times in one feeding session. This way babies tummy has time to register with her brain that she is full and she won't over eat.

SimSam, I'm keen to go to the Parent and Child Show on Friday. Just not sure if I'm brave enough to take baby!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 802>