FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOctober 07 babies!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 802>
Author
MissCandice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissCandice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2007 at 7:55pm
*Lurker In*

Congrats on all your babies ladies.. Sorry to hear about all the b/fding issues, it will get easier..

Fot those having trouble settling their bubs at the 2-3am feeds, i found not waking her a godsend, unless shes done number 2's i dont chnge her and i feed her in the dark so she doesnt fully wake u and she lightly sleeps through her feed.. back in bed straight after and find im only up 20min at the most! Just thought you might like to try it and see how you go.

Congrats again and your babies are georgous, i feel like its been forever since Kylah was born but the first month is the hardest, after that it alot easier and the smiles make your heart melt!

*Lurker Out*

EDIT: Forgot to mention, someone asked how long the 3am continue for.. well kylah is almost 11 weeks old and thats the only time she wakes.. i bath her at 7pm and bed at 7.30 she stirs between 2.30 - 4am and thats when im quick to get her up before she cries or its to late shes awake.. then she sleeps till 7.30 feeds and sleeps till tenish and then up for a few hours.. but in saying that i might try phase out that feed.. your bubbas are still a bit young for that.. but i might start doing a 10.30 feed and she might sleep thru.. YAY i have a plan, thanks ladies

Edited by KylahsMum
~ Mummy to a beautiful girl ~
Sponsored Links

MummyFreckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MummyFreckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2007 at 12:43pm

Monster - I feel the same about DH going back to work. Am terrified about doing it all on my own!! Still I know that I just need to get on with it!

We are going all out now to try and get Ollie weened off the formula, which is a bit tricky as he is a real little piglet and settles for a long sleep when he has a full tummy, so its a bit of a catch 22. Still we think that a couple of days of unsettled bubs could be worth it in the long run. I put him on the breast to feed, but he is pretty lazy and doesnt make much of an effort and ends up all sleepy and dozy, so I have to take him off and try to wake him up a bit to get him interested. The lactation consultant says its because he knows he will get a bottle anyway....(I am not so sure that he "knows" this already!) and that I have to make him work for it a little harder. Its pretty hard to be firm when they are so cute and even harder when they are grizzley!!

peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2007 at 1:44pm
Oh SimSam I so hear you! Lauren just goes to sleep as soon as I put her to the breast! I also have a 5 min let down wait, she goes biserk having to suck suck suck and not getting much, so I give up and give her a bottle of EBM! I have been expressing like mad, so have 6 feeds ahead stocked up in the fridge! At night I just cannot be bothered with the fuss and offer her the bottle of EBM straight away. Hey what ever works and keeps them happy, I say just do what you gotta do!

Boy no one told me about breastfeeding issues, I thought it all just naturally happened!!!
kabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2007 at 1:49pm
Sounds like quite a few of us are having issues with bfeeding. My MW was mortified when she saw the state of my left nipple. Has been spending quite alot of time with me trying to get Eva to latch on correctly. She wants me to stick with bfeeding, and will talk to me about epressing later on, once I get bfeeding sussed.

Eva is such a wee angel during the day. However, she had a shocker of a night last night. She was really unsettled and basically screamed from 11.30pm - 3am. Both DH and I are exhausted. I think she had an upset tummy as she did lots of green poos (sorry TMI). Not sure what you can do about that, or if there is anything I could have given her. I wonder if it was due to something I ate yesterday? It's so tempting to keep feeding her when she screams, but I think that only added to the problem.

ShellandBella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShellandBella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2007 at 3:56pm
I think its really common for wee bubs to fall asleep at the boob, as its so nice and warm next to mummy etc. , HOWEVER, for those ladies expressing, make sure you get some time with bubs suckling, otherwise you will eventually run out of milk...your boobs only produce more from the suckling of a baby (not a breast pump!) - the more baby sucks, the more milk you produce. You just have to be patient...Bella used to feed for 1 - 1/2 at each feed with her falling asleep and me trying to wake her up etc. but as they get more alert, their feeding improves...Hope that helps a little

*lurker out (again)*

monster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2007 at 5:59pm
For those of you with sleepy babes, you might want to try a cold flannel to keep baby awake when suckling. At the hospital when we were trying to get the hang of bfeeding, Tala was really sleepy and lazy suckling and the midwife on duty did everything she could to keep him awake while he was feeding. It sounds harsh, but he wasn't that upset (being on the breast made up for it) and it worked a treat. We had him undressed apart from a nappy and just put a cold flannel on his face and forehead and kept doing it until he got going properly. Best of all, we only had to do that for one feed, after that he was all good.
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2007 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by ShellandBella ShellandBella wrote:

I think its really common for wee bubs to fall asleep at the boob, as its so nice and warm next to mummy etc. , HOWEVER, for those ladies expressing, make sure you get some time with bubs suckling, otherwise you will eventually run out of milk...your boobs only produce more from the suckling of a baby (not a breast pump!) - the more baby sucks, the more milk you produce. You just have to be patient...Bella used to feed for 1 - 1/2 at each feed with her falling asleep and me trying to wake her up etc. but as they get more alert, their feeding improves...Hope that helps a little

*lurker out (again)*

I expressed and fed Spencer for 5 weeks and then when I tried to get rid of my milk that took 5 weeks (and I slept with savoy cabbage leaves in my bra) and in actual fact still isn't entirely gone so that isn't necessarily true, many women express full time, so long as you have a good let down it shouldn't be a problem. I did latch him on in the first 6 weeks but I believe I could have just expressed then as well, if that is what works best for you, do it. Spencer slept longer after having EBM and DH was able to do some of his feeds for me whilst still giving him breastmilk.

another lurker leaving

peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2007 at 7:48am
Wahoooooooooooo I have had an overnight break through!! I managed to get Lauren fully on both breasts for the very first time!! So this morning at her 6am feed she was fully breastfed!!

Thank friggin god!! Now I have a fridge full of EBM, so its going in the freezer for when DH and I want a night out together!!

Man I am the happiest girl in the whole world!! Long may the breastfeeding last from now on!!
susieq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote susieq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2007 at 8:09am
Congratulations on that Peachy
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2007 at 8:36am
Thats great that its all clicked for you peachy. Over the next couple of weeks the time she takes to take a food will come down and down and it will be easy sailing. Cool about the EBM in the freezer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MummyFreckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2007 at 9:23am

Ollie is still being a piglet with the formula! I put him on the breast, and he latches on okay - but sometimes needs a bit of encouragement (we use the cold flannel trick too!!) During the night he wont settle unless he gets a decent top up of the formula - so not sure how we are going to get him off it! Mw is coming this morning so will have a chat to her about it. I am not ready to give up on the breast feeding....we may just have to continue doing both!

peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2007 at 9:36am
SimSam can you top him up with EBM?? I will be doing that if Lauren needs extra after a breastfeed, especially, so I can get some sleep!!

Just a thought, as that is what I have thought of doing??

Lauren had formula top ups in hospital last week too, so don't feel bad about it, as long as they have a full tummy IMO!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MummyFreckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2007 at 10:33am

I have been trying to use EBM as well, but when I express I am only getting about 40mls after 10mins pumping each side!!! So I dont know whether that means my milk is lazy too - or that he is actually getting quite a lot and there is not much left!!! During the day I am trying to not give him formula - just keep putting him back on the boob if he is still hungry - I want him to figure out that if he is hungry he has to suckle, so figure if I just keep putting him back on the boobie he will eventually figure it out!!!

peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2007 at 11:43am
SimSam you are going to hate me for this, but if I express for 10 mins I can get 120-140 mls off! There has to be a reason my boobs are soooooooo huge and uncomy and I guess its because I have oodles of milk!

Lauren hasn't slept since her last feed at 10am, she's just laying there in her buggy looking around. I thought she might still be hungry so offered her a 20ml top up and she spat it everywhere! Obviously she's not hungry just having an awake period! Gosh so much to learn!!

Just went for a walk up to the dairy, might be a wee while before I am back running, the walk hurt my c section cut a wee bit!
Bel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2007 at 12:49pm
Well peachy, make sure you take it easy with that cut - they heal better if you elt them relax I am sure.

I miss you guys... I have now gone over to using the November board, becuase I was the only original October mummy left... My BP was down today, so back to waiting to see what happens. MW says if I am still in one piece on thursday (next check) then she will book induction for next week... Am sure he will come before then.
Mum to two beautiful kids   
Luke (09.11.2007)
Amy (01.04.2009)
kabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2007 at 1:06pm
Our main issue is getting Eva to sleep. Didn't use to be a problem until a few days ago. She was really tearful and unsettled when we put her down at 6 last night and again this morning. Takes about 1 1/2 -2hrs to settle her, by which time we're at our wits end

Saying that, she had a really good night. I followed Kylahsmums advice with the nighttime feed and she went straight back to sleep after her feed!

MonicaMouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonicaMouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2007 at 1:35pm
We are still having moments with cyring wakefull-ness. But I am proud to say I got thru yesterday with no tears!!! DH has been fabulous - poor Blair gets passed from one to the other whenever we can't settle him. I'm definately going to miss that when he goes back to work tomorrow, but 2 good feeds overnight (2:30 and 6:30) also using Kylahsmum suggestion definately boosted my confidence. (DH was awake for the first one, and just sat there and watched us).

On the Mum side of things, I can't believe how much I took for granted the normal things - that seem to flare up post delivery. Bering able to walk at a normal spped without feeling like there is a melon stuffed up 'there'. The spare duvet which was folded up has now gone from the couch. It was there to raise the height a little and provide some extra softness to one bruised and battered area (3rd degree/level 3 tear). For the first time in over a week, my nipples didn't shreak out in pain when the towel accidentally brushed over them after a shower, and I don't grimmace and brace myself when Blair feeds from my left hand side. Oh the joy in small things

Edited by MonicaMouse

Blair 15/10/2007
Daniel 30/07/2009
MissCandice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissCandice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2007 at 1:46pm
Im so glad my advice helped you ladies!! Its how i stay sane and not have to sleep during the day cos she goes straight back down after a feed, as long as i dont miss her stirring and she starts crying otherwise im up for an hour!..
Regarding the expressing, the forst time i expressed i got heaps, like 100ml in 10 min.. but it all disappeared..in the end it was takig me 2 days to get 100ml and that was gone in one feed. It was like my milk was slowly decreasing.. so i introduced a 10.30 'dream feed of formula' and it was the most kylah had ever been settled.. in saying that my milk went away and shes formula fulltime now..

So dont feel bad ladies, sometimes it just has to be! As long as your wee angels are happy and healthy whocan complain!
I must admit, i followed all you guys throughout the last month of your pregnancy as i missed my belly sooo much.. So congrats and welcome to motherhood

Edited by KylahsMum
~ Mummy to a beautiful girl ~
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2007 at 3:26pm
Hey simsam, the more you express after each feed the more you will end up getting out. 40ml is pretty good to get after he has taken a whole feed from you so don't get down hearted about that. Also you should express 10mins on one side and then 5-6mins on the other. You can also get breastmilk collectors, avent make some really good ones, you wear them on the side that you are not feeding or expressing from and it collects the milk, as you have probably noticed you get a let down or at least some leakage from the other side when feeding, I could get 40+mls that was otherwise being soaked up by a nipple pad you can then freeze in ice cubes or pop in the fridge for later.
And don't get upset about giving formula, it is not the evil that some people like to make out. Spencer had formula top ups and went completely on formula at around 3 months, if they are happy healthy and well nourished that is all that matters, that and a happy healthy mummy.

BabyOnBoard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyOnBoard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2007 at 6:19pm
Cuppatea - I never thought of catching all the leaking milk while feeding. . That will surely boost the amount of milk I am expressing off.

Arabella is growing beautifully . . 9lb 5oz she has thrush so is on medication and I am using canestan ointment on my nipples just in case(TMI).
Midwife is handing us on to Plunket really going to miss her!

Good luck to everyone for tonight!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 802>