FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedYour baby can read

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your baby can read
    Posted: 26 June 2008 at 7:23pm
Anyone else watching this on Campbell Live?  What do you think?
Sponsored Links

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 7:26pm
I think I'm having enough trouble teaching Miss Five to read!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
katie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 7:35pm
Also really keen to read others thoughts.
fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 7:41pm
Don't get me started. Have just had a wee rant on the July 08 thread. Basically, it's far more important at that early age to be working on interaction and oral language skills. Oral language skills are shown to be highly correlated with academic and social success. Written language skills develop later and that's OK, there's good reason for it.

ETA: I think Fiona's comments are right - it's great to expose kids to written language and go with them on it, but I'm not a big fan of these "we will teach your child to ....." programs.

Edited by Flissty
Mum to two wee boys
FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 7:41pm
I haven't watched it but at this stage I let Miss Elle take the lead with what she wants to learn and do.

I don't feel this is the right age for full-on lessons of any sort as creative play and freedom to explore are vital. If she wants to focus on one book for a while, we go with that but don't sit down to teach her as such. We do point out /emphaise words etc but you kinda have to or you go mad reading the same books over and over (and over and over!).

In saying that, if she seemed to want to learn to read, I wouldn't block it. At the moment her thing is learning all the animals (seriously ALL animals...even newt and bison!) and we enable that by talking about them / watching DVDs about them etc. If she was as crazy about learning to read as she is about animals I guess we'd embrace that.

Elle loves to learn so I imagine she will be very very keen to learn to read...all in good time!
Mummy to Gabrielle and Ashley
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 7:54pm

I'm with you Flissty. 

I think that there's a reason kids do things in certain order and I watched a show a couple of years ago which actually said why certain stages were important. 

I was also thinking when watching it that I don't know anyone who was pushed to read early and I also don't know any illiterate people but the guy was alluding that those that don't do the program will be illiterate and he was anti-wiggles, that wouldn't go down well in my house.

I ended up switching over because his monotonous tone of voice was annoying me.

p.s. I was surprised to hear that most kids (according to the article) start learning to read after 5 my niece and nephews were all reading before they went to school, I assumed that was the norm.

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 7:56pm
Will just add that I feel robbed that there was that stupid piece on and no mention of OB, didn't read that it'd been postponed until partway through.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 8:03pm
In some countries they don't teach reading till age 7 because kids often need that time neurologically to learn to read.

Am with you on the OB thing - felt quite ripped off as I didn't see Emma's post!
Mum to two wee boys
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 8:08pm
I was interested to read recently that many children aren't considered ready for school until at least 6 (hence the govt don't force 5 yos to attend) but the majority of parents enrol kids at 5 because a) it's the norm and b) it's the cheapest form of childcare available.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 8:10pm
I didn't get the email saying it had been postponed till I sat down to watch it and looked at my comp.

Maya started learning to read at 3 at preschool but the preschools are restricted on how much they can teach them coz the schools don't like them knowing too much when they start.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 8:13pm
I could read and write very well when I started school. I remember begging my mum to make homework for me to do so I could sit with the next door neighbour while she did hers...it certainly hasn't done me any harm, either academically or socially.
Mummy to Gabrielle and Ashley
popcorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popcorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 8:16pm
i think thats because different schools use different reading programmes so kids would have to be retaught in jolly phonics, or letterlinks or whatever they are using
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 8:45pm
I didn't see the article but I taught Hannah to read starting when she was about 3 or just older. By that time she had already learned all her numbers, counting to 10, colours, shapes and letters so I was a little stuck for what next LOL! That's not to say that she didn't play, she just loves to learn. So we ran with what she wanted to do.

Briona's starting to get interested in a few sight words. I think ordinarily she wouldn't have, but she likes to copy Hannah. Hey, why not?!
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 8:58pm

Teresa, the article suggests we start teaching them to read from 3mo and that watching shows designed for kids (such as wiggles) will turn their brain to mush.  He also claims that 75% of brain development occurs before age 2 so leaving reading until after then results in illiteracy (in a nutshell).

I think fostering an enjoyment of books in babies is important and teaching kids to read as toddlers/preschoolers is great but I wouldn't force it, once Michaela's ready and interested she'll learn.

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 9:02pm
Yep, Maya is bugging me for homework lol, she writes the most amazing, complex stories and her spelling is actually really good, she spells everything phonetically.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 9:04pm
Well I disagree with much tv/video watching as a general rule, but there's a lot more to life than just reading. Surely in the first two years we need to be introducing them to all manner of things - books, yes, but also paint and colour and plants and things like that. I dunno.... did it come across as too narrow-minded?
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 9:08pm
Maya has a great Reader Rabbit DVD that is interactive, you play word/letter games on it. I'm going to try and find her some new ones coz they are really good.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 9:08pm

That's a talent I missed out on.  I'm no good at fictional writing.  My mum is a writer and both my sisters and my niece are good at it, even my DH is a fab writer.  I was in the above average class for english at school (all those years ago) and I'm really good at writing professional letters but crap at making up stories and writing poetry etc.  I'm great at maths though.

caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 9:39pm
Your child can read ......

My mum will be proud cos , yes ! i can !

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 10:17pm
Everything in moderation I reckon! You've got to let kids be kids and just explore the world like you said Busymum.
Mum to two wee boys
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>