FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFruit / Vege gardening

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
lil_lease View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lil_lease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2010 at 3:01pm
Went to the garden centre the other day with a list and a map of what we think can fit in my mums garden lol and it should come to less than $40, so long as I get my bum into gear and start getting some seeds into seed trays and srout some seedlings They should be ready by the time the garden is. Scoped out the garden on the weekend and was apalled at how many weeds there were so we are probably going to have to spray it with something otherwise I'll be growing weeds rather than plants lol.

I rescued some more of my strawberry plants. I only planted 6 last year and I have twice that now lol. Quite happy with that since I LOVE strawberries.

I also forgot that I bought a raspberry plant and planted it at mums. It didnt do much though and I've rescued it since mums lawnmower person has attacked it and cut off all the tall canes. It's starting to sprout again though, has quite a bit of new growth, though I doubt I'll be getting any fruit off it this year.
You think it would do ok in a large pot on the patio?
Antony, gone but never forgotten 2-4-2010

Sponsored Links

Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2010 at 12:47pm

Your rasberry should do ok if its a large pot lil_lease? I would try it anyway.

I've just planted out a capsicum as well as an apple cuccumber, have my tomatoes, lettuces and cauli all waiting for this weekend lol. It's probably still a little early for the tomatoes but meh, I won't be able to physically bend down soon and I want everything in before bubs comes!

I am going to have tomatoes for Africa...I got a bit excited and bought 18 plants..oops. And strawberries! OMG I have about 14 plants in the ground and another 10 or so in tubs...hmmm I shall be making lots of jam hehe. And our Xmas plums will be here about the same time as bubs....eeeekkk I'm gonna be inundated!

Must start a swap-a-thon lol

happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2010 at 1:16pm

Wow Emmecat you are going to be one buys woman!

I love the idea of being able to swap veges when there is a surplus.  I just don't know huge numbers of people who do a lot of growing and live close by.

Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2010 at 7:36am

lol HM....I got carried away, I'm no gardener, just have hopes one day I can be fairly self sufficient (for when peak oil happens hehe).  I plan to do most of the planting this weekend, meant to be nice on Monday so hopefully the seedlings can make it till then.....

Hmmm I have a couple of friends who I swap stuff with...not ness like for like though iykwim? I might give a friend some veges and she'll make Clodagh a nappy or a dress etc. That's the theory anyway! I'd love to organise something that involved more people though!   We have to start finding ways of using 'other' types of currency than cold hard cash IMO....

frangipanigirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frangipanigirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 11:00pm
well i had a very productive labour weekend! i have now planted all my veges out into pots after numerous trips to the garden centres, warehouse and such places. We now are awaiting a good crop of Sugar snap peas, carrots, potatos, red onion, spring onion, cucumber x 2, courgette, lots of spinach, capsicum cherry tomato and acid free tomato, and of course strawberries! also planted mint and 2 types of parsley and a rosemary, and some flowers to attract the bees. I feel great about my effort and am so excited to watch them grow!
Hope everyone had a great weekend too!
1st round IVF 7 Eggs, 6 fertilised, 1 transferred with 5 on ice!    

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2010 at 9:47am

We were very busy over labour weekend as well. everything but my capsicum is now planted out into pots or the ground. Just waiting for the nights to warm up before I plant my capsicum into the ground and the chills can leave the greenhouse.

Still have some more potatoes and lettuce to plant out but we are doing well for everything to take off with the warmer weather.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2010 at 11:00am
I have just about everything in now I think.  I just want to get some celery and spinach seedlings and then I think I'll stop.  I still need to plant my pepper seedlings but they are so tiny that I don't think they'd survive outside just yet.  I'm also still hoping to get some kind of glasshouse type thing rigged up first.
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2010 at 11:58am
I have just cleared a patch to grow veg it is about 2.5m x 4.5 just need to put up some more of that long grass stuff but will finish tonight as it is too hot
SMoody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2010 at 1:11pm
We have ordered another cubic metre of soil to put in the raised gardens. So while I study hubby will do that this weekend. ( I am even making him work on his birthday. ;-) ) I started with the next lot of seedlings. Found a place I can buy the punnets and thought I bought too much. Mmmm yeah I have 50 of the 6 punnet ones full of seeds. I have 5 of the 10 punnet ones and have a few in their own pots going.

McKayla has a few punnets with flowers in as she gets highly upset that we go to look at veg and never the plants. So she bought two punnets and now have to germinate her own seeds and look after them.

Will plant my tamatoes out this weekend once soil is in. I must say the worm tea that we have seriously work wonders. You can physically see how the just grow overnight every fortnight we spray the soil with it. I am glad we got that worm farm going. (so will recommend that to anyone.)

shesmiles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shesmiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2010 at 6:15pm
I am a worm farm fan too - and the kumara talk is making me wonder if I should be pulling the sprouting yams out of the worm farm...

We have lettuce, mesclun, spinach, courgettes and the wee round squash, long and apple cucumbers, pepino, cape gooseberry, a variety of herbs, tomatoes, carrots, rhubarb, capsicum, a feijoa hedge and a potted guava that I need to find a home for. I have been unable to grow broccoli very well here (bolts and gets all buggy) or capsicum. Fingers crossed that this is my summer and I get some capsicums

I wish I could grow mushrooms! I see those wee boxes, but the amount we go through..... has anyone tried it?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2010 at 8:58pm

I have a courgette growing!!!!

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
SquishysMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquishysMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2010 at 9:08pm
Going to join in here - have been busy the last few weeks in the garden! Got tomatoes, beans, peas, potatoes (some in pot for small, gourmet ones, some greening ready to go in garden), strawberries, mesclun, courgette, cucumber... and still from winter silverbeet, celery, leeks and brocolli (which also hasn't grown well, there's no heads on it yet, and it's been AGES! Oh well, might be time to cull and re-condition the soil).

LOVING having a vege garden, especially salad ingredients. It's great being able to give DH a bowl and say "Go pick a salad for dinner"!
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 7:30am
We went to Bunnings yesterday & we got 6 bags of compost. They were $3.55 out the front & when we went to pay for it they went to charge us a dollar extra per bag but we got it for the special price. We went home dropped them off & did a couple of thing then stopped back at Bunnings to get some bark & price the plants we wanted & when we walked pasted the compost they had put the price up, lol, we got some potting mix & strawberry mix & bark.

We have long planter by the house on the patio so have got them ready to plant herbs, we have 2 big pots that the strawberries are going to be planted in & last night I was digging up & turning over the vege patch...got a booboo (blister) so I feel like a gardener, lol. Tonight we are finishing the vege patch & adding in the compost.

We also looked at plants at he warehouse but Bunnings have the best prices so we are going to buy them tomorrow as DH has to work today...yay can't wait to plant
frangipanigirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frangipanigirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 8:12am
thats exciting jazzy!
the prices are really varied, it really does pay to shop around! i found some warehouses more expensive than others and actually found Kings plant barn to be really well priced and bunnings! i thought mitre 10 and warehouse would be cheaper than garden centres! of course i only found out they were more after i had bought all my plants from them! dammit!!!
1st round IVF 7 Eggs, 6 fertilised, 1 transferred with 5 on ice!    

shelleybean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelleybean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 10:49pm
Worm farm - have been qute interested in doing this please anyone with advice please share :)

shesmiles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shesmiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 11:34pm
There are a few worm farm options shelleybean - including making your own (could be a pile of car tyres on soil). A really affordable option is actually available at the warehouse and is made of recycled plastic - double green thumbs up One of the most expensive elements can be the tiger worms. They are usually available from garden centres/Mitre 10 etc. But if you know someone with a worm farm, a good scoop of their compost and worms will start you off

Link to basic guide: http://resources.ccc.govt.nz/files/AGuideToWormComposting-docs.pdf
shelleybean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelleybean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2010 at 11:48am
Thanks will head off now and look at the link - cheers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2010 at 6:37pm

Next exciting thing in my garden the cucumbers are growing their vines!!! and I have flowers on my tomatoes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2010 at 7:14pm

Becks is there anything I need to know about planting my cucumber?  I've never grown one before.  I'm assuming they need lots of room?

I put my peppers in pots outside today.  Four in total and I've popped another few seeds in to germinate.  I figure it's better to have too many rather than too few, especially as they are an experiment.

My roma tomatoes aren't looking that fabulous.  I'm hoping they survive but I'm not sure they will.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2010 at 8:59am

They vine like Pumpkins so long as they have room to roam they are fine - well mine was the last time I grew it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>