FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPregnant and single

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
fallen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2011 at 7:55pm
Hey. I'm no expert but it sounds to me like you might have a bit of depression happening. It might pay to have a chat with your midwife about how you are feeling and she may refer you to Maternal Mental Health.

Its perfectly normal to worry how you are going to cope with a new baby. I knew I did with each of my children. I find it easier to deal with if I formulate a plan. What am I going to do if such and such happens etc.

Sponsored Links

TheKelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2011 at 9:56pm
Yup,I did,around the 10 weeks before I had my daughter I got a wave of "what the heck am I doing? I can't do this!Im a kid myself"

....thing is,every mother,no matter how old or experienced they are,is a mother for the first time at some stage and noone is born a perfect mother,you learn that as you go.We all make our mistakes and we all learn different lessons.
I know how overwhelming it can all feel,being responsible for another little person,but you'll be amazed at what you can cope with,especially when you're a single mum,you will discover resilience and strength you might not have known existed before now,but just because you are going to be a single mum,doesn't mean you have to be supermum,and you should always feel like you have the right to ask for help.

I do think you need to talk to your MW,because there may be a bit of depression happening here as well

Hannahemily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hannahemily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2011 at 10:09pm
I've spoken to my doctor and MW and Doctor is very concerned about putting me on anti depressants , he thinks that there is a possible chance that baby could develop lung problems etc even on the safest one and even being 30 weeks ! I don't know ? Maybe I should get a second opinion? just sounds scary and really don't want to do any harm to my little man ! I've also been referred on to see a psychologist and I also see a Councillor once a week, but if things don't improve then I will go back to my doctor and speak up, cos I have suffered depression before and I went down a very dark path and so scared to go down that way again, particularly when I have a child on the way ...
TheKelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2011 at 11:48am
Im pretty sure there are ADs you can take when pregnant,im sure a few girls on OhBaby have...maybe ask in the PND support thread,they're probably the most knowlegable in that area

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hannahemily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2011 at 11:55am
ok thanks so much :-)
Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2011 at 7:57pm
I had thoughts like that all the way through my pregnancy and kind of went into shock a little bit afterwards. Not PND just overwhelmed and sleep deprived and anxious. I totally get where you are coming from.

I went to a councellor when my marriage broke up and she pointed out that I spend a lot of time and energy worrying about things that may or may not happen in the future and I needed to focus on taking one day at a time. Break it down if that seems too much - even if its in to steps like get out of bed, eat breakfast, go to work. The other thing that she said that stuck with me is what will be will be. Sometimes you just need to float down the river ie accept that there are some things you can not change and just go with it. I think its something like the AA mantra - accept the things you can not change and change those things that you can.

The other thing that helped for me was to write down how far I'd come and the things that I was proud of. For you that might be getting this far by yourself, going to appointments, talking to various professionals, organising stuff for the birth, antenatal classes etc. For me that was stuff like telling people we had split, dealing with DD's appointments, doing things we both enjoyed. Stuff that you deal with on a daily basis but we forget to pat ourselves on the back for.

I hope things get better for you.
aers270191 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aers270191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2011 at 7:57pm
Hey Hannahemily! The past month its been just me and Im now 22 weeks along and I will admit I have atleast one day a week when I just bawl my eyes out and ask myself why I even made this decision to keep my baby, and Im moving from one end of the country to the other in December to live at my Dads place, and he and I have never gotten along that well, but my sister lives with my Mum and she wont move so I get the short straw. Becoming a first time Mum, especially on your own, seems like the hardest thing in the world, but there is so much support out there that I have found already and Im not even meant to pop until January! The wonderful people on Oh!Baby, you friends and family will all be there 100%, because they love you, and they will love baby just as much!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hannahemily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 9:48am
hey shelt - Thank you so much for the inspiring words that's exactly what I needed to hear and its sure put a different perspective on things..I constantly feel exhausted and I think its because I'm putting so much energy into constantly thinking negative thoughts and freaking out about the future,but it is true one day at a time ! I think im just totally caught up with having this baby and having a sh*t time for the rest of my life ! its totally true I just need to float down the river and accept there are some things that I cannot change.. and that Is true, pat myself on the back for how far Ive come and commend myself for how strong I am.I hope things get better too thanks :-)

and newbie I totally knwo what you mean about balling your eyes out except I have a tendancy to do it ona daily basis at the moment.. I hope my friends and family will be there 100% - I do feel slightly let down by some "so called" friends though , I have tried to tell them how I feel and they just say things will be fine and this is all part of pregnancy but is it really?? & its hard because when It comes to the weekend I don't even hear from them - which makes me feel even more isolated ! They seem too busy partying or being "hung over " to catch up ! & I know its reality I'm obviously going down a different path as them, but its hurtful, particularly when I feel like Im relying on my friends so much at the moment ! Arggghh I really hate feeling like this

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hannahemily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 1:24pm
Im also feeling alot of anxiety as to who the father may be,I cant keep thinking about getting the paternity test, which is totally down the track but its seems to be the only thing I'm thinking about at the mo...also some of my close friends don't know who the other possible father might be I have kind of failed to tell them,and just kept it to myself as he's not a very nice guy & was abusive to me when we were in a relationship,I guess Im scared to tell them the truth for fear of being judged but I guess if these people are really my true friends they wont care who the father might be?? and maybe Im just being really silly and putting too much energy into worrying what people will think of me...
Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 8:12pm
No worries. And just remember that those pregnancy hormones do strange things. Stuff that seems like a massive deal now might feel a bit different when you are holding your wee baby in your arms.

Re friends, I know its hard but when you have the baby you will probably make new ones who are at a similar stage in their lives. Even if you don't do antenatal classes or click with the women in it you can still go to Plunket coffee groups or music & movement and find friends or at least people to talk to about stuff. And there may be a single parent support group near you - there is one here in Tauranga so I'd imagine there would be one in Auckland.

And yes, there is no doubt that having a baby is hard work. But it doesn't have to be the end of life as you know it. You will work out what works for you and the baby and go from there. Its times like this that you can find strength that you wouldn't have otherwise known you had. I think (and you can tell I've been reading lots of self help books recently ) that believing in yourself is important. Positive self talk does help - it comes back to faking it till you make it. If you tell yourself that you can do this and you are going to enjoy your baby then you will eventually start beleiving that. Chin up, its hard but you can do it (make a great cheerleader wouldn't I ).
mizpix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizpix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 9:24pm
Hey Hannahemily,I agree with fallen.Have a chat to Maternal mental health. I just rocked up to their offices in town one day and asked to see someone. Apparently you are meant to go via a doctor, but they dont turn you away if you obviously need to see someone. I poured my guts out to this lovely mental health nurse and it was the best thing I did. She got me to go back via the doctor and sort out meds. I was on fluoxetine from about 26 weeks until my boy was about 6 months old. It didnt hurt him one bit and man did it help my head space. I had several visits from the mh nurse during my pregnancy and we had great talks. It really helped me a lot to unload my feelings to someone who didnt judge.
Anyway if you start to think clearly then everything seems much easier. You will manage I'm sure but just go one day at a time. I still dont think much further ahead than that even now!
aers270191 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aers270191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 10:28pm
I know what you mean about "so called" friends, except some of mine have babies of their own and they are still constantly hungover and just casting their children off on their other friends or parents, and I have found that even though it took my parents a while to come around to the fact I was pregnant that they eventually understood I thought about it alot before I made the life changing decision, and they know that I will love my boy more than anything. At the end of the day you will have a wee baby that will love you unconditionally, and you will be an amazing Mum Im sure! As for the father, it may end up being the best thing not to have the father in babies life if that ends up being the case. And baby may even thank you for it when he/she finally meets Dad one day. But forget all the false friends and what people think of you, because its what you think of yourself that is most important

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hannahemily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2011 at 11:22am
Hey guys thank you so much for the words of wisdom and support,even talking to you all on here is a great comfort.
I think I do spend too much energy and time on thinking negatively but its so hard to get out of that frame of mind... Writing things down and talking to the likes of you guys to get different perspectives really help.I just need to keep the faith and as you said Shelt - positive self talk xxx
Looey85 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Looey85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2011 at 7:00pm

Edited by Looey85
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12