FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedtoilet training anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021>
Author
tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2011 at 1:50pm
Which pullups are you using MF? We're using Pams ones as A refuses to go near the pink Huggies ones. lol!

I'm attempting to TT Aoife at the moment (turns 3 in 2 weeks). She has her mind made up that 'nappies are for babies, I wear pullups'. Plus she's happy to do wees in the potty at home. Unfortunately, she will only sit on the potty for me , and not for Daddy.

When I ask her if she's going to do wees on the potty/toilet at daycare she says "No Mammy I do wees on the potty at Mammys house".

Has anyone experienced this?

I'm hoping as she gets more used to doing wees on demand she'll feel more comfortable at doing it elsewhere.

ETA: Eimear is adamant that she's still 'small' and she wears nappies not undies. I'm hoping that she's just waiting to see how her sister gets on first before she decided she's ready

Edited by tishy
Sponsored Links

SquishysMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquishysMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2011 at 10:52am
DD is messing with me.... she's sitting on the potty doing little wees at a time, so I'll make a big deal, let her flush the toilet and get a sticker!!! She's gone maybe 3 tablespoons at a time, 4 times in 45 minutes!!! Nice to have such control - hopefully she figures out it's better to just let it all go at once!!!

I guess it IS only the 3rd day of no pants on... yesterday none in the potty at all!
Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2011 at 9:15pm
Lol SquishysMum - G has a variation on that same theme. She gets an M&M for sitting and one for doing something and she has got so she will sit and wee so she gets two chocolates and then get up and move away then come straight back and sit down and do her poo so gets two more chocolates!
Chickaboo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickaboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2011 at 10:09pm
we found Rhylz was doing little wee's all the time for a treat so stopped it. TT has been the biggest battle of his life (I know hes only 4 but it has been a very long hard road!)

Nowhe refuses to go if we tell him to cause he doesn't want to be told to go - cause big boys just go - thing is if we don't remind him he will wet himself!

my old 2 were so easy to TT and I hope Miss E will be easy cause Rhylz made up for all of them.....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquishysMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2011 at 5:28pm
Well, DD has got infinitely better in the last week, and is now pretty much out of nappies and into knickers! We have her pant-less at home, so she can go to the potty whenever she needs to, but knickers when out, and haven't had an accident yet. We've had a couple at home, but it's mostly been if she's tired or we've come in from being out and I haven't taken off the knickers straight away.

Can't believe she's pretty much 'trained' at 23 months old!
kakapo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2011 at 7:26pm

Yay SquishysMum - you must be stoked

And wow Kellz, I've never heard of anyone successfully TTing a baby ... what a little super-!

My3sons - don't know if this is helpful, but I've just been reading that Toddler Taming book and it suggests taking the time to develop a good "sitting habit" to encourage them to poo on the potty/toilet.  He suggests sitting them on the potty after each main meal (or at the time of day he usually poos, if he is quite regular) and just spending 5 minutes or so reading them a book/watching TV etc.  You stay with them while they sit there and try to get them to feel relaxed - don't put any pressure on them.  And eventually when they do the desired wee or poo, give them lots of praise.  Could be worth trying this with a potty if he seems really scared of the toilet?  Guess if he's scared he'll be tense and nothing will happen anyway .

Tishy, have you asked her carers whether she uses the potty at daycare?  You never know, she might actually be using it sometimes?  I'm keen to hear any tips for encouraging kids to use the potty/toilet at daycare too as Jimmy has only used it once, on his first day at kindy a couple of weeks ago .

missyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2011 at 8:28pm
Hey guys,

I am just after some thoughts on TTíng J who is 2 next week, adn I thought I would ask in here instead of starting another TT thread.

Anyway, J seems to have a strong interest in the toliet, and would choose to wear undies over nappies. If you ask him where wees/poos go he tells you the toliet.

Over the last moth or so I have just gone with the flow and asked him on and off if he wanted to go to the toliet. A few times he has said yes and we have gone and he has done wees-great. This is more so when we are out and about, rather than at home. Any successess have always been done with major praise and a sticker (thomas the tank engine is the best form of bribery)

Anyway, today I decided to bite the bullet and have him in undies. I took him to the toliet every 1/2 hr and he did 3 wees this morning and was completley dry until lunchtime when we went out. I put him on the toilet again when we were out, to which he did wees again, only to poo his nappy 5minutes later (no big deal).

He was pretty much dry when I got him up from his nap and made it to about 3.30pm before he had an accident. So a pretty darn good attempt, but I will admitt that he didn't drink as much as he usually would this morning.

Then after the accident we had 3 more until dinner, despite me still putting him on the loo every 30min or so. But he still did do 2 wees.

The thing is, that he knows when he is going, cause when he is on the loo you can see him pushing it out so to speak and when I haven't caught him in time he looks down before he wees. So he is aware of what is going on. But he has never told me he needs to go, so am I wasting my time, and am i better to wait until he can tell me that he does need to go.

I know it is only day 1 so I can't expect too much but I am just a little unsure on what I should do from here. Carry on like we are and hope that he gets it or just wait a bit longer.

Anyway, if anyone has any advice I would much appriecate it, and good luck with everyones TT adventures.
Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2011 at 10:09pm
missyb I was having the same thoughts a couple of weeks ago when I started with DD. She was really good in the morning and then would usually have accident after accident in the afternoon between approx 3 & 7 pm which drove me crazy. I just kept leaving her bare bum outside and consistantly putting her on the potty or the toilet and she got better at recognising the sensation and catching it before she went. She now asks to go several times a day and has been dry now for two days in a row. I think they need some practice and to get some hits on the potty to be able to recognise it so if I were you I would keep going and eventually he should be able to recognise the sensation and ask to go. We have been going now for 3 weeks and DD had a bad first week but things have got better and better since. Just keep at it with him - it sounds like he has the right idea he just needs some practice.

ETA to add that the fact that he looks down before he goes is a good sign. He can feel something going on down there! He just probably can't connect the feeling to what is going to happen next and needs some practice at that.

Edited by Shelt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquishysMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2011 at 11:53am
DD did that the first day, went well all morning, then accidents all afternoon. I think she was tired and sick though, she came down with a fever that night.

Just keep plodding away, I've since had success telling her to just see if there's any wees hiding (she'll tell me if there's definitely none). I also get DD to go on the potty AFTER she's had an accident, saying, "uh oh, wees, QUICK potty!" and she'll run. Even though it's too late, it's helped her understand what's happening and that wees go in the potty. We had no wee accidents yesterday, but 2 poo ones (one in knickers, and one she ALMOST made the potty, so didn't make a big deal about it).

Good luck!
Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2011 at 8:07pm
Yeah I always put Gabrielle on the potty straight after her accidents too. She had 3 small accidents this morning when my Dad looked after her while I was out but I think he wasn't paying enough attention, and he kept asking if she needed to go whereas I tell her to go if its been a while since the last time. The last accident I had just walked in the door and her undies were wet but not her shorts. Put her on the potty and she went in there too. I think she managed to stop herself part way through wetting her pants coz her shorts weren't wet and there was still heaps of wee in there!
missyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2011 at 8:49pm
Thanks for your replies.

I think i just need to bite the bullet and get over my mummy moments about him growing up and give it a real go. So this weekend is it-undies all the way.

He is a bright little spark to so I am sure he will connect the dots pretty quickly.

You guys sound like you are doing well with it all!!!
TraceyA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TraceyA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2011 at 12:16pm
Hey girls, I'm really wanting to start PTing Pip but I'm finding it virtually impossible to get my DH onboard. He's generally oblivious to Pip's nappy's unless it's poo. It feels like I need to give DH the stickers for helping Pip use the potty! So far I haven't actually managed to git my DS to do poos or wees on the potty, and most of the time these days if you ask him if he wants to use the potty he just says "no". Should I start giving him a sticker for just sitting on the potty, regardless of if he does anything? I wasn't too keen on the reward/bribery training model but I've found it impossible to find any other training methods recently.
TTC #2
tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2011 at 9:04pm
Well Aoife's TT is all sorted now. Still in pullups for bed but haven't had any accidents. Man I wish I had her bladder control!
Also when they do a poo in the toilet they get a present (I've a jar of stuff wrapped from the $2 shop) and a lolly. This has worked a treat! The jar is visible in the bathroom so they can see when their stash of presents will run out.

Eimear on the other hand is very resistant to change. We 'ran out of nappies' yesterday so she's in pullups now.
She'll happily sit on the potty/toilet but refuses to do anything on them.
Tonight after the bath I told her if she sat on the potty and did her wees with her pullup on she's get a yoghurt raisin and it worked! So I need to work on her overcoming her fear of performing on the potty/toilet first before removing the pullups.
It's just amazing how different they are. A definite learning curve!
gypsynita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gypsynita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2011 at 1:26pm
so happy I've found this thread! It's made me sit back and remember that this is going to take time... they still have to work out what's going on after all!

I started TTing Cian at the beginning of the week - he was showing heaps of signs so I just asked him if he wanted to wear undies or nappies and he picked undies. He's been wees in the toilet once, but it was with DH and I feel a bit ill-equipped so to speak in that department! he keeps going in his undies but will generally tell me that he has so I guess we just keep with it?
Anita
Mum to Cian (Aug 08), Josh (Jun 10)

TraceyA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TraceyA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2011 at 7:05pm
gypsynita, Pip is the same. We've started to undies for the first half of the day yesterday and today (he went to childcare for the second half). I wanted to give him some time at home to make the connections. He comes to tell me when he's doe/done a pee or a poo and then I sit him on the potty and praise him heaps. He hasn't done more then a dribble on the potty so far though. Tomorrow I'm going to try and get him some stickers or a stamp for a reward board when he actually manages to do something in the potty itself.
TTC #2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquishysMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2011 at 8:55pm
DD's gone off going poos on the potty/toilet, she's been insisting on knickers on before she goes (blergh!). Today I told her if she did poos on the potty she would get an iceblock (favourite things!) and she tried, but just couldn't do it, and ended up poo-ing in the garden (next to the potty. She got SOOOO upset, poor thing! Might start the Dianne Levy method of putting her in knickers and SLOWLY make her move to the bathroom/potty. But still, wonder why she has freaked out all of a sudden? It's as though she CAN'T poo sitting down at all, she's been standing for the last few days. Weird.
millymollymandy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millymollymandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2011 at 12:11pm
Ok so...our 18 month old is telling us just before she does poos. She is very regular, going the same time each day. She knows that dolly does wees on the potty. I'd like to start giving it a crack around 20 months if she keeps making this kind of progress. Plus I'd like her trained by the time the new baby arrives at 26 months. (I was trained at 23 months, so seams reasonable)

The problem we have is although she is bright and aware, she is physical very small - around 8kg at pinch. She doesn't fit pull ups and doesn't even fit on the potty, so is reluctant to sit up on it as it isn't comfortable.

Has anyone else had a small toddler with these issues? What can I do? Would one of those toilet seats that sit on the loo be better?
TraceyA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TraceyA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2011 at 10:17am
MMM - Pip didn't quit fit on his potty either a few months back and pull-ups and undies were too big. I started to let him wear the undies over his nappy (his choice) and then I ran them all in on the sewing machine so now they fit him. Apparently there are cloth pull ups for about $10 at babycity which you might find fit smaller toddlers or can be altered to fit, I'm going to check them out. I think the fitted toilet set is a hood idea but make sure you get a step that's high enough and wide enough to reach the toilet easily and be able to put feet on while sitting down. You may also want to wait for a few months for another growth spurt though.

Fun fun fun
TTC #2
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2011 at 10:53pm
We have just started TTing Caden we did try a while back but he wasnt ready, he was scared of the potty and refused to sit on it.

But he has started having a dry nappy in the morning when he wakes up, and asks to go toilet after breakfast, does wee's on the potty a few times a day, and keeps his undies dry, apart from a couple of accidents(poos). Tonight he did his first poo on the toilet! he told DH he needed to poo, and he did! So proud
I cant believe how well he's doing and we have only been doing it a few weeks!

threeisenough View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote threeisenough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2011 at 10:47pm
Hi! new to all this thread thing..........but loving I am not alone with toileting dramas!!!! thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021>