FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedYour baby can read

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AnnC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by Maya Maya wrote:

Maya has a great Reader Rabbit DVD that is interactive, you play word/letter games on it. I'm going to try and find her some new ones coz they are really good.

we have reader rabbit. Josh andBrooke loved it (got it for her and Josh when they were much younger) .. My parents also brought the 'Reading Master' set... that was for Josh and although he enjoyed the books themselves they didn't make him read any quicker.

Brooke was my reader writer etc.... knowing her ABC at 22 months, counting to 10 not long after she thrived on knowledge like that..... so naturally Books were a favourite 'toy' I spent alot of time reading to her and now she loves books (you can tell a book lover by the fact that even though they have read the book can not give it away or part with it LOL we have soooo many books in her room just sitting there) anyhow She never started at 3 months though and now at age 10 her reading level is at 12 year old along with her comprehension and accuousy (sp??? can you tell she didn't take after me for that!) - so learning to ready after 3 months is a disadvantage - I highly doubt it.
Ann

Also Mum to Josh (15) and Brooke (10)
Sponsored Links

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 10:30pm
I like the child led learning appoach. (or baby led learning as they do as Spencers nursery). I think everyone, babies included, learn better when they enjoy what they are doing.
Spencer is less interested in books at the moment and more interested in trying to post stuff out the cat flap.

Jennz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by cuppatea cuppatea wrote:

Spencer is less interested in books at the moment and more interested in trying to post stuff out the cat flap.

Haha cute! Watch for the cellphone post when its raining though That ones not so cute!
Jen, Charlotte 7 & Kate 3

Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2008 at 5:52am
As far as I'm concerned if Maddie wants to learn then I will let her lead me, I'm sorry but the idea of teaching a 3 month old, who can't even eat solids, to read strikes me as kinda silly!

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2008 at 9:18am
I only saw al ittle bit but agree with what the others have said - everything in moderation. I mean there is the thing in your mind that make syou think "wow, wouldn't it be neat if they learnt to do that early" but that's the same for everything, we';re constantly thinking about when they'll smile, then roll, then crawl, then stand etc etc etc.    

I think overall it really depends on the kid. Paris loses interest quickly, but is having fun with her reading books i get her from the library with simple things like "they put all of the blocks away, they put all of the cars away.. etc" and that's about where she is at, only because she started to show an interest so i got the phonics simple books from the library and went from there and she's now moved up tot he 5 or more words in a sentence type thing.

Ayja has taken her lead, and loves letters and can identify nearly all letters in the alphabet, knows their sounds, and can write them because she sits up with her sister. I've never really pushed her, she just likes to do what paris does.    I made up a sheet of paper with capital letters of the abc on one side, and lower case on the other since paris has trouble remembering lower case formation.. so i thought she can use that to remind her.     Ayja was the one that grabbed it and spent every waking moment for 2 days up at our breakfast bar practising drawing letters... she has a little more drive, and probably just thinks its a whole lot of fun, whereas Paris knows that school is coming and she'll learn this stuff there so she doesn't really mind either way.    I don't mind what they do.. but i think that deliberately teaching and conditioning them these things too early definately robs them of all the other things they're meant to be learning and doing at those stages which are important.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

mandz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2008 at 11:17am
I think learning to read at 3 months is going too far, but I do think we should allow our kids to learn at their own pace. So reading to them right from the start, naming parts of their bodies and animals etc. Then they can learn these things as they grow older. Personally my mum taught both my sister and I how to read before we went to school. Never hurt either of us, didn't make us seem too different - well at least not that I can remember!

I plan to try to have Oliver know his alphabet and basic words by the time he gets to school, but if he is really not interested then I won't force him

Zack Robert Henton - 29th December 2009
popcorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popcorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2008 at 3:55pm
we teach the phonemes and the name of each letter, the basics of how to write their name and the lower case. if you get up to adding the phonemes together to make a word thats a bonus, not all children are ready for more than that before school. some are eager and pick it up really quickly. there are so many things more important to learn that how to read before kids go to school, the basic foundations needs to be laid first in all areas. i think there is way too much emphasis on learning to read,
caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2008 at 4:59pm
I've read to Caitlyn since she was a couple of days old, (back then i read her cosmo articles -what? its not like she understood them ....) but it doesnt make her any more interested in reading , and it didn't make her any better at reading in her class than anyone else (shes good at maths tho, and i never did that much maths stuff with her )
I think it depends on the kid, and how much interest they have in it
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2008 at 8:27pm
I was talking to Mum and Dad about this today an Dad pointed out the irony that the theory and the theorist both come from America - and doesn't America have a brilliant literacy record *rolls eyes*

We start reading to our kids early in our house too, I reckon that's a much better idea than trying to teach them to read to themselves!

Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2008 at 8:37pm
What's this, Emma? Getting Maya to read to the gremlins so you don't have to?
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2008 at 8:42pm
Preeeeetty much
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2008 at 8:51pm

That's such a cute pic Emma!

We're the same.  We've read to Michaela since a very early age and she's read several book a day but we don't put pressure on her to learn to read.  She likes counting so she probably takes after me in that respect and recently she's started singing all the time so obviously she's focussing on that atm. 

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2008 at 11:59pm
I thought, while it was interesting, it was a load of bullocks. It's the same system used with older kids.

Basically, from what I could see him doing, the babies and toddlers would learn that when that 'shape' ie the word is shown, that it means x. He showed smiling, with a smiling child, and he was smiling. Well duh any kid after that being repeated to them every day for a few months/years is going to pick up on it. Doesn't mean that if the child saw it in another context other than flashcards that s/he would know what it meant.

Better we teach our kids social skills, as they are the foundation of life, and no learning can take place in a bubble so kids need to know how to interact with materials, teachers, parents and each other. That to me is the most important thing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12